Author Topic: Who thinks that Bombers in the game have jumped the shark?  (Read 1579 times)

Offline TheRapier

• Nickel Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron, My Little Pony
Who thinks that Bombers in the game have jumped the shark?
« on: March 11, 2012, 08:59:07 PM »
Since this is a WWII combat game, you have to ask, how well does it replicate the experience?

One major indication that things are out of whack is when bombers can successfully go around and hunt fighters with near impunity. Yes it takes good timing and skill but you have to do things that wouldn't really happen in WWII. Bombers can now make manuevers that would plaster the entire crew against the ceiling and floor in negative and positive G manuevers and still fire accurately. 4 engine bombers regularly dive bomb. Their tracers don' t work. They can fire all their guns with absolute accuracy on a single point. You have to ask, in what world is this ok for a game like this?

Combine it with puffy ack that models a cloud of your own personal ack that can follow you anywhere you go and you have a game that really has veered away from its roots.

Seems like we've tipped over. Its not just the bombers, the whole game balance now favors horde warrior. The game should really be able to span the skillless and the skilled but it seems its going to the unreal. Since the last update, its hardly been worth messing with. Let's call it Arcade High! Then all that can't fly will be attracted and those who are looking for a facsimile of WWII air combat can know what to expect.
--)-Rapier--
CO Musketeers
Longest continuously operating MMO squadron
Serving your target needs since 1990
They thought it would be a disgrace to go forth in a group.  Each entered the forest at a point that he had chosen where there was no path and where it was darkest. La Queste de St G

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
Re: Who thinks that Bombers in the game have jumped the shark?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 09:13:39 PM »
We should find ways to limit the arcade. You covered Lanc-stukas.

HOing, another case in point. Yes it happened in real life but not too common. In game the only harm is to ones ego, which leads to it being a regular tool. In real life it strikes me a half decent pilot would work for something more then a Vegas style, 50/50 shot, life or death. I don't know how to stop it though what if we had a similar algorithm as collisions and if the 'gods of AH' determine you've HO'd you have a 5 minute penalty. It will tick people off though in time they will begin to replicate real life.

Flame on!

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 09:32:32 PM »
This game has to appeal to the xbox gamers in order to stay afloat. The flight sim guys don't matter anymore.

Just hop in your favorite ride and tag along with 50 of your countrymen and kill whatever you can, by any means possible and you can be a top ranked ace in no time.  :aok
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 09:36:13 PM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 09:37:46 PM »
You guys really need to get the HOing is bad attitude out of your mind. Just because AW didnt allow it didn't mean it was right, good or correct. Yes I flew back then and I dealt with it but crap get over it and move on.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 09:42:47 PM »
well... there are a number of things that the bombers in AH do, or rather "can do" that they didn't in WWII.

First, the typical level bombing speed in AH is far greater than in WWII.  B24's and B17's typically dropped at less than 220 TAS.  In AH, it is full throttle and why not??? There is no accuracy penalty for high speeds.  I can not vouch for the B29 or the Mossi B Mk XVI.  I can show you hand written records from my grandfather's flight logs on where, alt, speeds, etc for B24D bombing runs in the south PTO.  

Second, there is no altitude or angle restriction for when a bomber is able to let loose their ordnance.  Now obviously there are some aircraft that were designed, built, and utilized in both dive bombing/shallow dive bombing and level bombing.  The B5N, Ju88, B25, and even the supposedly the Lancaster (although I can not find actual literature to show it was designed to dive or shallow bomb), were all dual purpose.  There must be some latitude in labeling bombers if ever there were any restrictions placed on which model could drop bombs outside of the bomb sight.

There are a couple more, but those two are the biggest issues I have with the bombers in AH: there are no restrictions.  Use them as dog fighters, spawn point carpet bombers (from 500ft), etc etc  There is nothing stopping the use of an aircraft far outside the realm of what it truly was capable doing.  

FWIW: the Head On pass takes TWO, it **always** takes 2 to "HO".  It is a viable tactic and an inevitable tactic as well.  With the goal being to get your guns on the enemy, sooner or later each pilot will be aiming as well a being targeted at the same time.  If you choose to partake in the Mexican stand off then be prepared to get shot down and consider yourself very lucky if you manage to stay in the air.  Once you accept that fact the sooner you will stop crying about it and deal with it.   
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 09:47:02 PM by SmokinLoon »
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 09:47:36 PM »
Hoing is not the issue. That can be avoided fairly easy. I think the flight model is what is in question here, along with the hoarding aspect.

I can't say I disagree with the OP. Brewsters seem to gain E in a turn, spitfires and 190s can flop all over the place, lancs can dive like stukas.................

The hoarding, i don't know if that can ever be fixed as long as we have multi wing squads and the ability to post huge missions with as many people as they can get to join up.

Then there's the broken point system. I don't look for any of it to get better anytime soon.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 10:09:58 PM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 10:05:13 PM »
It's been a few months since I was actually in the game, but I never found dog-fighting bombers to be that much of a problem.  Sure, some people do it, but it always seemed like such a small minority (including dive bombing bombers) that it never bothered me.  I'd much rather shoot at a B-17 making maneuvers than one flying strait and steady and when I know he's sitting in his turret looking at me.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 10:37:11 PM »
Hey guys? Exactly what you are describing happened in WWII. Read a book sometime okay?  :devil
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 11:25:56 PM »
Too many people over 500 tonight, but people 'the majority' like playing that way and thats what counts I'm afraid. I agree with pretty much all of the OPs statment.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 12:13:02 AM »
The problem isn't bombers doing crazy maneuvers, it's them doing them while in formation and not losing their drones.  Since there is no danger of friendly collisions, buff drivers can immelman, barrel roll and negative g stick stir.  Then when you line up for a shot, they hit X and drill you with the defensive guns of three bombers.  A single bomber should be allowed anything it's flight model permits, but the leash on the drones needs to be tightened up.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 12:21:00 AM »
Hey guys? Exactly what you are describing happened in WWII. Read a book sometime okay?  :devil

The 40 plus Mustangs taking out an airfield and a town?  I missed that one in the books I've read :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 12:44:28 AM »
   How the same people can come on daily, hour after hour and do the same thing over and over is beyond me. Mass up, overwhelm a base, capture..next!  Yuck. Its like a job to some of them.

~AoM~

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 01:35:30 AM »
The 40 plus Mustangs taking out an airfield and a town?  I missed that one in the books I've read :)

1000 Destroyed by Grover Hall ring a bell?  16 April 1945?
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 02:20:42 AM »
1000 Destroyed by Grover Hall ring a bell?  16 April 1945?

Not lugging bombs and rockets of course  :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 02:30:30 AM »
   How the same people can come on daily, hour after hour and do the same thing over and over is beyond me. Mass up, overwhelm a base, capture..next!  Yuck. Its like a job to some of them.
Each to their own.