Author Topic: Securing pedals (flight and race)  (Read 1297 times)

Offline Yippee38

• Copper Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
Securing pedals (flight and race)
« on: May 15, 2012, 03:00:26 PM »
I was wondering if any of you guys sim race as well as fly, and what you do to keep your pedals sets from moving around, yet allow you to switch between flight sim pedals and racing pedals.  I don't have a cockpit setup, nor will I, so those don't help, but let me see them anyway.  Maybe it will give me an idea.  I'm looking for something that is not anchored to the ground as my desk is on a concrete slab and I'm not going to drill into it.

I'm thinking I need some kind of board that will push up against the wall behind the desk, but will allow me to switch between the two pedals sets.

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
Re: Securing pedals (flight and race)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 03:02:23 PM »
3/4 inch plywood holds my saitek peddle in place as well as strenthening them for use on carpet!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 03:10:26 PM »
I built a rectangular frame that I add spacers to for holdeing out from the wall. The front half has an angled tray that my Saitek peddels sit into with a slight up angle to match my body position in my chair.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 03:27:33 PM »
Based on your description, I'd suggest mounting them each to their own board that butts up against the wall, and swap them out as needed.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 03:55:38 PM »
I use velcro on all my controllers. When I had my simpit it had a vinyl flooring. I used a good double sided tape to stick the velcro to both the flooring and the pedals. Now I have carpet, and have the "hook" side of the velcro on my pedals and they stay put with out a problem. My stick and throttle are velcroed to their stands as well.

Offline Yippee38

• Copper Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 04:00:51 PM »
I use velcro on all my controllers. When I had my simpit it had a vinyl flooring. I used a good double sided tape to stick the velcro to both the flooring and the pedals. Now I have carpet, and have the "hook" side of the velcro on my pedals and they stay put with out a problem. My stick and throttle are velcroed to their stands as well.

I always had my Simped pedals velcro'd to the chair mat under my desk.   The problem is that I just got a load cell mod for my brake pedal, so it takes a lot of force, and velcro won't hold it.

Offline rob53

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 04:06:44 PM »

Same here as well  :aok

Rob
rob53
The Flying Circus

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 04:20:40 PM »
I always had my Simped pedals velcro'd to the chair mat under my desk.   The problem is that I just got a load cell mod for my brake pedal, so it takes a lot of force, and velcro won't hold it.

LOL!!! you just need a bigger piece of velcro!   :devil

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 04:55:05 PM »
 A plywood base is what I use,you can drill holes in it to place the front legs of your chair into to prevent the base from moving!  Or you can make a pedistal and mount both chair and pedals like I did!

:salute

PS: a mason bit and tapcons would fasten the pedals to the concrete if you want the cheapest and easiest way to do it!

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 10:48:33 PM »
I'm using a piece of non-skip rubber matting, (floor is carpeted), works fine for me
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 12:54:47 AM »
LOL!!! you just need a bigger piece of velcro!   :devil

Yep in Penn&Teller they tried separating two blocks of steel held together by a few feet of velcro. Two monster trucks were pulling them and yanking, velcro held. Just add a few strips of it and it'll hold.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 05:34:53 AM »
I'm using a piece of non-skip rubber matting, (floor is carpeted), works fine for me
+1 but on a wooden floor. Extremely useful at cons... Works well under joystick and throttle, too. If it gets slippery, it's time to do some housekeeping and wash the rubber mesh and the surface below it and of course the bottom of the pedals/stick/whatever.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 08:25:40 AM »
I was wondering if any of you guys sim race as well as fly, and what you do to keep your pedals sets from moving around, yet allow you to switch between flight sim pedals and racing pedals.  I don't have a cockpit setup, nor will I, so those don't help, but let me see them anyway.  Maybe it will give me an idea.  I'm looking for something that is not anchored to the ground as my desk is on a concrete slab and I'm not going to drill into it.

I'm thinking I need some kind of board that will push up against the wall behind the desk, but will allow me to switch between the two pedals sets.

Yippee

You could always take a look at building a sliding panel with a latch mechanism to hold them in place. One that would allow sliding just far enough right and left to get the required pedals moved into position for whatever you want to do. Take a look over at SimHQ in the Pit Builders section and you can see some different variations that guys have tried over the last few years for that type of thing.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 09:27:23 AM »
screw gun + drywall screws! side note--keep wife out of room, so she doesn't notice what you did!

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 01:49:00 PM »
I have my computer desk in a corner, so I took a suitable piece of plank and put it across the corner so it makes a triangle with the adjacent walls and prevents my pedals from sliding. I also have a rotating chair, which is not at all compatible with pedals; it turns while I push them... So I have a pair of rubber ropes with hooks attached between the hand rests of my chair and the feet of the table.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni