Author Topic: What do you love or hate most about certain maps?  (Read 3564 times)

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
Re: What do you love or hate most about certain maps?
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2012, 01:55:23 PM »
We do not sit on a bunch of maps. There are not any maps waiting on us, although as of Friday I know of 1 that was almost ready for submission.

HiTech

I'm sure that's true, except for terrains that have been submitted, inspected and discarded. When a terrain is submitted, there is no feedback if a problem is found that eliminates it from the build/rotation.  <<<< well thats just terrible

How about a simple status reply stating see # x, x, etc

1 Terrain put into rotation
2 Balance issues
3 Errors. Find help within the terrain community
4 CBM
5 Other (and a note from htc)

+++++ :aok  :aok   :aok

I know many maps have been made for our scenarios that work just fine. (AVA, FSO maps) Some are Very Good but the only time you can fly in them is on special days. I could be wrong but it just seems some of that artwork and their layouts could be expanded upon and used as main arena maps fairly easily.

Was thinking that some of the maps that are in use but quickly turned over due to winning the war in under 5 hours could be extended by adding a time limit before the map is changed and then determine a winner.  (or just expand and improve on them to meet larger harder to win map needs)

Sure a few people would complain about the measly perks but so what. You got to be at the right place at the right time to get the perks anyway, whether you earned them or not.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 01:56:54 PM by A8TOOL »

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2012, 02:13:08 PM »
Ever consider spawn camping is akin to ENY to help the base defender?

You gentelment keep describing spawn pioints and not combining your bits and peices to look at a larger picture. Spawn points away from close GV feilds are an invisible circle of random spawning bisected by a linear battel line.

------->(  <-)----------Your Spawn Line

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The defenders can park around the perifery of the random spawn circle and shoot the spawners if they have taken control of the area. You do not have a battel front with a back feild to be spawned away from the campers to keep an active fluid battel going.

------
-->-(  <--)--------
       ------

------------------
--->-(<--)------------>
       ------------------

Most GV fights away from GV bases short hop spawns take place in corridors even if the game code describes an invisible circle to randomly spawn you in.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make the corridor the random spawn area and update the code to track the location of all enemy GV inside of the corridor and within 1k of it's boundries. Then you get randomly spawned into the corridor backfeild far enough for a running chance against spawn campers.

========================== - buffer
      |----------------------------------------------
--->|  <--------------------------------------------> - <<--battle front that way
      |----------------------------------------------
      ===========================

Update the GV spawn process with 3 choices:

1.auto spawning based on the corridor.
2. manual over ride based on a sub grid map of the corridor that you can move an arrow to where generaly inside of the corridor you want to spawn. A GV assault mission could make use of this to mass stage assets or rescue a failed assault.
3. old shool into the invisible circle around the point of the arrow.

The grid could even be part of the map makers responsibility to incorporate it neatly into the topography. The grid borders can be angled to snake the corridor around cliff walls or away from steep dropoffs. Some size boundry would have to be defined for the core like 3k x 10k with the code taking care of the 1k invisible buffer. Code would have to take care of showing you the manual spawn selection sub grid map after the map builder lays down the corridor opposed to bitmap file.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even without the auto update of enemy postions to auto spawn you into your 10k backfeild. A manul arrow selection could be coupled with the auto circle spawn and you be allowed to choose spawning into the 10k corridor backfeild once you are aware the spawn circle is camped. Or for this mode replace the corridor with a half circle of a 10k diameter circle to move your arrow around in. Orient it bisected by the spawn line.

----------------------------------------------
--->(  <--)------------------------------------------>
       ----------------------------------------------

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2012, 03:05:45 PM »
+++++ :aok  :aok   :aok

I know many maps have been made for our scenarios that work just fine. (AVA, FSO maps) Some are Very Good but the only time you can fly in them is on special days. I could be wrong but it just seems some of that artwork and their layouts could be expanded upon and used as main arena maps fairly easily.

Was thinking that some of the maps that are in use but quickly turned over due to winning the war in under 5 hours could be extended by adding a time limit before the map is changed and then determine a winner.  (or just expand and improve on them to meet larger harder to win map needs)

Sure a few people would complain about the measly perks but so what. You got to be at the right place at the right time to get the perks anyway, whether you earned them or not.

Yup, your wrong.  :D

The restrictions and conditions of an MA map as compared to a AVA or FSO map are like night and day. You might as well say lets build and F6F, after all we have the F4u to expand on. Their both blue and both fighters, but thats where the likenesses really end.

Changing the maps so they last longer would be too confusing to most players (they have trouble learning to hit the ground with bombs). Remembering which map needs more bombs to kill a town or more troops or what ever deal they set up to slow the win down might be too much for some of them to bear.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2012, 03:21:11 PM »
I've more a general observation--there are more than a few maps (mostly older ones) you log in.....glance at the title of the map, and instantly know which corner is going to be reset, and absent extraordinary effort by many coordinated squats, that pre-ordained outcome never changes......casts a bit of a pall over the whole thing
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2012, 08:39:32 PM »
I thought of this a while back, why are all airfields  fully capable as any other?
A small airfield shouldn't have bombers but would have ords  a medium  or large would still be capable, a large base should also have more than one gv hanger and spawns into the city next to it
In short different bases should have different capabilities! A small field could just have a dirt strip!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline jtdragon

• Copper Member
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2012, 10:29:08 PM »
would like to see a winter map with Ice/snow, slip/slide, (Finland in combat theater years ago if not misstaken)
JT

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2012, 10:47:01 PM »
After tonite, I think Compello exemplifies the worst quality that any map can have===only a very points out of 400 sectors where it is reasonable to have enemy contact, which means you either see 30 enemy planes, or nothing. Neither scenario is a plus for anything like dogfights
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2012, 10:24:15 AM »
I'm sure that's true, except for terrains that have been submitted, inspected and discarded. When a terrain is submitted, there is no feedback if a problem is found that eliminates it from the build/rotation.

We always respond to main arena terrain submissions. As far as your list, you now can put terrains up online for use in any arena with out any HTC action required .

And what is "CBM" ?

HiTech

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2012, 10:31:55 AM »

And what is "CBM" ?

HiTech

Clip board map?

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2012, 11:37:54 AM »
dislike........300-400 players on any small map....should never happen. But Grinder is the pits, I thinks it's 9 cv's on a small map, should only be 1 per side :salute
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 11:45:58 AM by HawkerMKII »
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline Gatr

• Copper Member
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2012, 06:48:21 AM »
SQUID..... and more sheep of course.... But the Squid.. yes we need it back
salute
gatr

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2012, 07:02:35 AM »
After tonite, I think Compello exemplifies the worst quality that any map can have===only a very points out of 400 sectors where it is reasonable to have enemy contact, which means you either see 30 enemy planes, or nothing. Neither scenario is a plus for anything like dogfights

So can opinions differ :)

In my view, Compello is the absolute best MA map I have seen in my 7 years of AH as far as gameplay goes. Provides lots of opportunities for all kind sof play, be it tanking, CV battles, coastal raids, long bomber runs, aerial defense of Vbases or furballs, while those contact points make sure that even at lower population times there is some kind of "concentrated" action can be found. In comparison, on Ozkansas the activity is very often way too spread out once the player numbers fall under a certain level.

If we had only one single map, I'd chose Compello for the great variety it offers,
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2012, 07:09:32 AM »
I like a map where bases are randomly assigned and scatterred to chess pieces all over the place to start and then each country can fight to conquer and build their empire from wherever they want as they see fit.

Such assignments would create dozens of friendly/enemy base combinations and create many varied fun fights and strategic thinking as to how best to build a country.

Base takers would be vey busy and so would everyone else.  

:)

PS I also like a map with three little islands, one of which has an airfield port, and a 2nd little island that has a small airbase (kind of like Midway Islands).  Then I can feel at home and defend my archipelago against all intruders.  Don't forget it should spell out "Midway" in the trees on one of the three little islands.    :) :cry :D   :aok
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 07:37:10 AM by Midway »

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2012, 12:34:43 PM »

Montis is a fun map but too easily reset. It needs to be expanded upon to meet our needs

« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 12:51:34 PM by A8TOOL »

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2012, 12:37:08 PM »
I hate when you read a map and then try to fold it up properly again :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario