Author Topic: What do you love or hate most about certain maps?  (Read 3561 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: What do you love or hate most about certain maps?
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2012, 09:27:27 AM »
I prefer maps that have more realistic levels of terrain, 25,000 ft pyramid mountains and canyons from Mars don't have a place in a WW2 sim. Maps that actually represent a collection of real geographic locations and combined to make a map look good.

<S>...-Gixer

this plus having bases at 7k or 8k.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2012, 09:59:35 AM »
Don't like that HT supposedly sits on a bunch of maps that people spent many days and hours making when some of the best could be of some use.

Don't like that HT never put any red squares around TT  FT vbases to save at least one base in those areas.

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2012, 10:04:11 AM »
Ok, I don't like bases close to the water. Ports I can understand....tuff to launch a boat with out water, they did teach us that in the Navy one month  :devil Is there really a need to have bases right on the water? If they are on the water it makes it far to easy for the NOE crowd to just run base after base because the water is much easier to fly NOE over.

I grew up just a few miles from Myrtle Beach AFB. Used to sit on the beach off the end of he runway and watch the A10's take off and land, low enough to make you feel like you could throw a rock and hit 'em.

I like bases right on the water. Adds something when you come in right above the waves, 'Flight of the Valkries' playing in the background.......  :)

GV spawns. Make them multiple pronged like in a TT, and increase the "random spawn area" at each spawn. The idea is to make it much harder to set up a spawn camp.

Best GV spawn idea yet, in my opinion. Every single GV spawn should actually be 3 separate spawns, with the center of each random spawn area separated by 1.5K to 2K.

Of course, if you kill the ability of an easy as cake spawn camp, about 2/3 of the "uber tankers" in the game will fade to irrelevancy....  ;)

My only gripes about maps?

GV spawns, or lack thereof. I don't know the name of the map, but there's one that regularly has not one single GV spawn from a friendly base to an enemy one on any front, depending on what fields are held by whom. Would be an OK map for tanking if there were 3 times as many spawns.

Bases too far away from each other. I don't know about you all, but I play AH to dogfight, not fly for 15 minutes to get to a fight. IMHO, bases should be no more than 1 sector away from the next base, maximum. If the alt monkies want to come in to a furball at 20K, they can always take off from a further away base.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 10:06:37 AM by Reaper90 »
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2012, 10:12:58 AM »
I'll make a list of GV  map needs when I get home tonight
But basically spawns. Edd to meet instead of being on opposite sides of a base and they need to be within 4 k of each other, hills of all sizes would be greAt, their are some with perfect slopes but I'll have to work on it a bit to show you. 
Thanks for asking tho!!!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2012, 10:13:18 AM »
The two maps that make me log out as soon as I have logged in are Trinity, due to the mountain ranges between bases making for slow action, and the really small map that doesn't even have room for bombers to get to 25,000ft or able to attack the city without being intercepted by Me163s.

What I like in a map are bases no more than a sector apart and lots of CVs.  One person mentioned bases at opposite ends of a natural looking valley and that sounds fun as well, even better if they were off on the edge of the map and each were among the uncaptureable bases with perhaps a captureable GV base for each side between them.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2012, 12:53:44 PM »
Maps that actually represent a collection of real geographic locations and combined to make a map look good.
That's why I like Baltic (although it looks funny compared to our maps) and Mindanao. It's nice to be able to refer to a certain spot on the map with a name instead of a letter and a number. Historical accuracy doesn't count that much, there's a bunch of them to be used in scenarios and such.

I once had an idea or two concerning MA maps. One of them was to use the The Great Lakes region, the lakes naturally dividing the chess-piece countries. Another was to choose some peninsula and rotate it in a three-fold kaleidoscope for a balanced theatre. Think e.g. about a tripled Italian, or Arabian or Iberian peninsula with real situations of known cities: "Let's try to take the bish Rome!" "Oh my, they took our Abu Dhabi!" "Our fleet is reaching the Knight Gibraltar!"...
And how about triplicating the British Isles? Should the Scotlands be in the middle, or the Londons?

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2012, 01:25:14 PM »
Aside from the trrain features which Fester has always been creative with.

Some basic formulas for distance to the fight seem to keep popping up.

1. Furballers are happiest if they don't need to fly more than 1\2 sector to engage. This means if they die, reupping has a good probability of the furball still at peak play and closer distances allows for taking less fuel for the percieved benifits or more to hang around longer.

2. Base takers in fighters are happiest flying a maximum of one sector, while particapating bombers 1.5-2 depending on their alt preferences and tollerance to proximity of enemy fighters.

3. Gvers want close spawns to promote mass sneaking around and sniping from the trees and features without driving more than 3 or 4 minutes to engage someone. If possible a setup that gives the spawner a running chance to evade campers. I understand an ambush while waiting for a tank column to come down a road and the possiblity your position might be discovered. I cannon't understand a published "Park here to kill all you want freely" sign uphimisticly called "Spawn Camping".

Time spent getting to the fight versus the fight. Beautiful terrain and clever features are just that if you punish players with long transit times rather than maximising their time spent shooting at each other and blowing things up. Setting bases farther apart as a rule all over a map promotes large collectives of players to concentrate in a few places for a very long time.

The longer a large group faces off, the more opportunities for human nature and lazyness to dictate conduct.

For a number of years now we have been playing mostly on giant maps with longer distances to fights. We have also been spending much of that same time observing the increase in lazy, risk adverse game play habits in this forum. Perhaps it's time to swing the pendulum back to constant and quick fights so players don't have all that transit time to worry about loosing fights. Eventualy we can complain again to lengthen the transit times to adjust for the bad game conduct that will evolve from upping and deing sooner than later.

Time is everything when you are looking to have fun.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2012, 02:09:47 PM »
Well,

I love the hills ... 2 hills and the ... valley

:salute
mobilis in mobile

Offline chaser

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2012, 02:50:45 PM »
Ozkansas is one of my favorite maps. The only real problem with it is having the airbases in Tank Town. We need a map that has 9+ Vbases on an island like that with no airfields close by.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2012, 02:56:01 PM »
Ozkansas is one of my favorite maps. The only real problem with it is having the airbases in Tank Town. We need a map that has 9+ Vbases on an island like that with no airfields close by.

That will result in rolling the island even quicker after a CV gets there.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2012, 02:57:59 PM »
I don't know the names but...

First, is a solid land mass with no water. All mountains are in excess of 10K. 5-10mins of climging for all fights.

Second, primarily islands. Invites one side to park a CV off the target base so close 3K ack zone covers airfield. It invites ack hugging on both sides.

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2012, 03:03:49 PM »
I'd like to fly over something other than green.

I enjoy fighting in canyons too.
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline MickDono

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2012, 03:18:03 PM »
Tanktown with uncapturable Airbases please  :aok

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2012, 03:33:07 PM »
I have to nod in agreement with playable features listed here:

GV spawn distance with no extreme drive distances but enough room to regulate spawn camps.

Limit on mountains and trees near runways.

Areas like Tank Town (maybe even multiple towns like that), or Furball lake, that spawn 24/7 action.

I would like to add:

Attention to field placement so no one country start position adds any advantage over others.

Add multiple tank town areas all over the map.  This will make for quick GV action with awesome hiding places and more realistic WWII tank warfare.  (it is a shame that the current airfield towns don't spawn this kind of GV action - but that is understandable considering the high stakes value of the maproom).

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2012, 03:35:51 PM »
Areas like Tank Town (maybe even multiple towns like that)

But oddly we have at least two "tank towns", including one perfectly shielded from enemy air intrusion, that are completely deserted all of the time.

But players still wish for it  :headscratch:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman