Author Topic: Elitism  (Read 9009 times)

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
Re: Elitism
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2012, 10:46:51 AM »
I have no idea where I fit in :confused: it's all a matter of perspective.
just go back to making those videos puny one :neener:

:lol <S> dolby youre one of a kind :aok
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2012, 10:49:06 AM »
I like quality fights but couldnt care less how they turn out. In fact I couldnt care less how anything turns out, if I ever get better, if we win the map....anything. Not to say I dont do my best ; I just dont care what happens in silly computer games.

Actually this game is far better then most. Some of these games have total softballs in them. Like in BF3 I once joined a Military clan with a bunch of kids from the army in it. I lasted about 30 seconds cause they kept calling me by my last name and barking orders at me :rofl I told them I took this trip before they were even born and dont much care to listen to some 21yo "Major" telling me how to wipe my bum. For fracks sake I got a kid their age! Another clan had a guy who would freak everytime someone did something wrong. Him I wasnt so nice to. Another military clan actually requested me to send them a copy of my DD-214 to join. :lol Can you believe that? Only the PDs Ive been on have ever got copies of that.

So all in all this game is pretty mature. Each player finds a style and the others pretty much accept it. :salute
Yes, your on "Ignore"

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2012, 11:32:16 AM »
I miss my noob days, wouldn't mind starting over. The game was 100x better to play alone then.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2012, 11:58:14 AM »
elitism isn't about aspiring to be more. It's about condemning those you feel beneath you, instead.

This might be one of the scariest moments of my life... I actually agree with Krusty.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Tordon22

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2012, 12:06:44 PM »
I'm slumming it by posting in this thread.

You're welcome.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2012, 12:07:07 PM »
Oldman,

Find a new word and the majority of players in this game will agree with you in spirit becasue personal growth and striving to improve oneself is a positive human trait. Otherwise it's being used to excuse the personal deficiencies this game magnifies to abuse other human beings in the anonymous protection of the Internet.

e·lit·ism or é·lit·ism

1. The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.

a. The sense of entitlement enjoyed by such a group or class.
b. Control, rule, or domination by such a group or class.

You see the entitalment on display through the years of the same post where the elitists whine that the skilless noobs are using the "Samual Colt" manuver to kill them unfairly.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2012, 12:30:11 PM »
Oldman,

Find a new word and the majority of players in this game will agree with you in spirit becasue personal growth and striving to improve oneself is a positive human trait. Otherwise it's being used to excuse the personal deficiencies this game magnifies to abuse other human beings in the anonymous protection of the Internet.

e·lit·ism or é·lit·ism

1. The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.

b. Control, rule, or domination by such a group or class.

You see the entitalment on display through the years of the same post where the elitists whine that the skilless noobs are using the "Samual Colt" manuver to kill them unfairly.

Well said Bustr, I can't add to that! That covers it best for us noobs! :salute
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2012, 12:50:08 PM »
Its always good to use a dictionary.  Wanting to be a member of an elite group is not the same as believing in elitism. It is just a desire that reveals a shallowness of character that is indicative of an empty life.

snort
Pies not kicks.

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2012, 12:59:43 PM »
I wish I got called a cheater as much as Shawk does, those pesky F4u's need to be perked - oh wait..

Butcher gets a lot of kills, therefor he must be a cheater, unfortunately my allegations are baseless so let's worry about evidence later and throw him in the justice shed for now.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2012, 01:41:58 PM »
Oldman,

e·lit·ism or é·lit·ism

b. Control, rule, OR domination by such a group or class.

Bustr,

I agree most folks have a dirty perception when the "E" word is used.  I highligted that portion of Webster's (I am guessing) characterization that applies to Oldman and other groups that we PROUDLY call elite.......  Army Rangers, Navy Seals, Mi5, Men in Black (.............. ooOOPS, I might have gone overboard, but I think you get my point).

I do not think the OP fully realize the concept of elitism, it is also often referred to as satanism. The core value of satanism is the rightful exploitation of the weaker and less gifted many, by the strong and intelligent few.

I do not believe the AH community is elitist, but a lot of players want to be the best. Some like to pretend they are, here on the forum or ingame. We all have different definitions of what it means to be "the best" though. You have to consider also that a lot of people here just want to have fun. What is considered fun is also very different from player to player.

So... I guess what I'm saying is, you can't generalize like that but sure... if you want to troll that's a open field to play on.

Anyhow, I bow to  :devil Oldman  :devil and chant "I am not worthy" on bended knee, at least 5 times a day.   He is the farthest I could possibly imagine from a satanist, however I might have to check myself, purely on the basis of hero worship  :neener:

Offline stickpig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2012, 01:48:04 PM »
ever notice how the truly best players in the game dont have to keep telling everybody how good they are?

semp

Best reply ever :salute
+5
Theyll only give you one chance, Better get it right first time. And the game youre playing
If you lose you gotta pay, If you make just one wrong move Youll get blown away
Expect no mercy  <Nazareth>

"Stay in the manned ack... When your in a plane you are a danger to the ground"  <Norad>

Offline DrBone1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2012, 02:09:24 PM »
You lot are nothing compared to the mighty zack!!!

Zack1234 Pwns.  :airplane:
=The Damned=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6jjnCoBobc
I see DrBone has found a new Sith apprentice. Good, good, let the hate flow through you.  :devil
Move up, move over, or move aside.  Simple kombat 101.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2012, 02:26:59 PM »
Chillie,

In the world of internet gaming "Elitist" is a kinder word for "Narcasist".

Narcasism is an external trait of subclincal phycopathy which most used to grow out of by their mid to late 30's. The simplest place to observe it is Junior High and Senior High with the individuals identified as the "Cool Kids" or the "In-group". Or watch MTV, Nick Channel, disney channels latest singing metrosexuals and wannabe Lady GaGa's, or those youth shows like "Pretty Littel Liars", or all those reality shows with prono dressed bimbos and Jersey muscle thugs having live melt downs 7 nights a week.

Or all Thee Skillz In-group whining in these forums becasue a skillzless noob used the simple "Samual Colt" manuver to whizz on their years of manhood polishing in the DA.

I think Oldman needs to choose a far different word unless he be mistaken for a member of Thee Skillz dorks contributing to thier never ending whine about the skillzless......

Maybe we should start throwing them corndogs when they whine about the "Samual Colt" manuver. Anyone ever seen a "Dork Fish"??
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2012, 03:19:36 PM »
I do not strive to be elite!!

I just want to have fun in a game.. After all Isn't that what a game is all about or is my childhood upbringing all wrong?
just an opinion .
Ingame : Shipper

Never put your gun down to hug a grizzly.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2012, 04:14:10 PM »
Bustr,

Knowing Oldman rather well, I would have to say that he, himself does not proclaim this title, however it may have been red flagged upon him by another (if that is so, then folks are entitled to opinions).

The facts are that Oldman IS a very humble person who enjoys the same :joystick: things :airplane: as most of us playing this game surrounding WW2 aircraft.  Having said that, I do believe that it is part of our social conscious that instinctively inspires us to achieve better than average performance.

Your point is taken about the word elite, but possibly it, as well as, other words like progressive or conservative have been given stereotypes that have been used to red flag arguments.  I just find very positive conotations in each of those words.