Author Topic: Colorado Gun Demand Jumps 41%  (Read 11274 times)

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
Re: Colorado Gun Demand Jumps 41%
« Reply #540 on: August 24, 2012, 11:02:06 AM »

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #541 on: August 24, 2012, 11:05:02 AM »
so to bring it back on-topic, a bunch of people just got shot by a guy at the empire state in NY. the gunman was taken down by police. why wasnt he taken down by a civilian? come to that, why are these nutters never taken down by a armed civilian? what % of gun-related crimes are prevented or stopped by armed civilians? :headscratch:

I do not know the percentage but there are lots of cases where a civillian takes down or captures a criminal.

The empire state building is a gun free zone. Law abiding citizens left their arms in their vehicles.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #542 on: August 24, 2012, 11:09:07 AM »
so for places like the empire state building, courthouses, that colorado theatre etc. where you cant take a gun in, can you check in your weapon for secure storage until you leave?

sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to understand the practicalities :)
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #543 on: August 24, 2012, 11:11:00 AM »
so for places like the empire state building, courthouses, that colorado theatre etc. where you cant take a gun in, can you check in your weapon for secure storage until you leave?

sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to understand the practicalities :)

Generally no. One is required to leave it in their vehicle or at home. Many leave them in their vehicle which creates a place for criminals to acquire guns. If a place does not allow guns on primise then vehicles around such premises have a higher likelyhood of having a firearms in them.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 11:14:40 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #544 on: August 24, 2012, 11:12:39 AM »
thats nuts, surely you're way more likely to be robbed or attacked walking on the street than in your car or home.

edit: leaving a weapon unattended in a car doesnt seem like a good idea unless you have a strongbox fitted. I guess quite a few criminal's weapons are ones they found unsecured while robbing cars or houses.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 11:15:29 AM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #545 on: August 24, 2012, 11:15:28 AM »
thats nuts, surely you're way more likely to be robbed or attacked walking on the street than in your car or home.

Carjacking and burglary/home invasion are not uncommon in some areas.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #546 on: August 24, 2012, 11:18:12 AM »
I know people in NY that legally own guns, can you not carry in NY?

what about other places where you can get a CCP, presumably most crimes are prevented by armed civilians there (since theres more civvies than cops)?

I was wathcing the history channel and there was a historian on there that said the wild west wasnt that wild since  everyone  was strapped, its mostly hollywood build up.
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #547 on: August 24, 2012, 11:20:41 AM »
Also the media tend not to report on people stopping crime as its not sensational unless the  stopper is  older or  younger.
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #548 on: August 24, 2012, 11:22:26 AM »
I dont buy that, theres nothing the media loves more than a have-a-go-hero.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #549 on: August 24, 2012, 11:27:33 AM »
Also the media tend not to report on people stopping crime as its not sensational unless the  stopper is  older or  younger.

Local media usually reports it. It's the big entertainment sites like CNN and FOX that usually miss those.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #550 on: August 24, 2012, 12:12:46 PM »
I understand the "If only someone had a gun to stop it" mentality, but there are just too many variables to know what would have happened during any mass shooting if a CCW holder with a firearm was present.

Eventually it's bound to happen that a lawful gun owner will stop a major massacre, but seeing as the scope of these shootings only becomes clear with the body count, there will be no real way to determine how many lives were saved if the attack is stopped early.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #551 on: August 24, 2012, 12:24:43 PM »
I understand the "If only someone had a gun to stop it" mentality, but there are just too many variables to know what would have happened during any mass shooting if a CCW holder with a firearm was present.

Well we know what happens when there is no other person with a gun.

Eventually it's bound to happen that a lawful gun owner will stop a major massacre, but seeing as the scope of these shootings only becomes clear with the body count, there will be no real way to determine how many lives were saved if the attack is stopped early.
[/quote]

It has happened. One that comes top mind was a Mall shooting awhile back.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #552 on: August 24, 2012, 12:41:10 PM »
WW can you point out where in this constitution you speak of it states that you do not have a right to control your body and what is in it? I will wait.........

The Constitution only innumerates specific "natural rights". Abortion is not classified as a natural right. Moreover, the founders would have found it immoral, and thus would not have even considered it as a right.

I find it rather amazing that if someone hurts a woman, causing her to lose her unborn child, it's a travesty that the child died. However, if that same woman were to abort that same child, that's okay, no problem, just exercising her reproductive rights. Doesn't pass the stink test.

Now, if you believe that the unborn child is a living person, than you may believe that one's control control over their body ends when another life is adversely affected. A recent national poll shows that 60% of American women believe that Abortion is wrong and agree that it should be illegal, except in very rare cases where the life of the mother is at great risk, or rape.
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #553 on: August 24, 2012, 12:53:16 PM »
The Constitution only innumerates specific "natural rights". Abortion is not classified as a natural right. Moreover, the founders would have found it immoral, and thus would not have even considered it as a right.

I find it rather amazing that if someone hurts a woman, causing her to lose her unborn child, it's a travesty that the child died. However, if that same woman were to abort that same child, that's okay, no problem, just exercising her reproductive rights. Doesn't pass the stink test.

Now, if you believe that the unborn child is a living person, than you may believe that one's control control over their body ends when another life is adversely affected. A recent national poll shows that 60% of American women believe that Abortion is wrong and agree that it should be illegal, except in very rare cases where the life of the mother is at great risk, or rape.

Is Plan B the equivalent to a third trimester abortion to you?

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #554 on: August 24, 2012, 02:58:20 PM »
I was wathcing the history channel and there was a historian on there that said the wild west wasnt that wild since  everyone  was strapped, its mostly hollywood build up.

I read somewhere that the frontier didnt look like cowboy movies with shootouts all the time because bullets cost like $10 each and almost everyone was in abject poverty ...
71 (Eagle) Squadron