Author Topic: HardCore  (Read 4341 times)

Offline Cheyenn

• Zinc Member
      • virtual 97th Bomb Group (H)
Re: HardCore
« Reply #105 on: October 01, 2012, 08:06:21 AM »
Enjoy a near empty arena then.  RPS was a failure in WB and considering HiTech was the developer of WB, you would think if the RPS was successful he would have carried it over to AH.  In short, people don't like to be dicated on what they can fly and when, especially if they are paying to play.

ack-ack

ack-ack you are wrong about HiTech making WB's. Ient and HiTech people work together as a team developer on the old Air Warrior Series, when the company
that own the Air Warriors Series sold the company, wildbil and HiTech started to build AH, then wildbil did not like the way AH was being develop, so he left and
started the Ient, and from there he made War Birds. I know the History of both of these companies. I know wildbil and help test Ient Battle Of Britain Sim for the
History Channel back in 1999 or 2000. So before you make a statement of HiTech making War Birds make sure of your facts.
v97th Bomb Group (Heavy)

"VENIT HORA"
"THE HOUR HAS COME"

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #106 on: October 01, 2012, 09:05:59 AM »
ack-ack you are wrong about HiTech making WB's. Ient and HiTech people work together as a team developer on the old Air Warrior Series, when the company
that own the Air Warriors Series sold the company, wildbil and HiTech started to build AH, then wildbil did not like the way AH was being develop, so he left and
started the Ient, and from there he made War Birds. I know the History of both of these companies. I know wildbil and help test Ient Battle Of Britain Sim for the
History Channel back in 1999 or 2000. So before you make a statement of HiTech making War Birds make sure of your facts.

but hitech did.. i played the beta in 1995 or so. it was called confirmed kill at first.. i remember discussions on the flight sim usenet newsgroup with hitech discussing all types of things about the game.
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #107 on: October 01, 2012, 09:53:36 AM »

Where did you ever get that idea.

I had nothing to do with building AW (other then creating a few tools as a player). And Wild Bill had nothing to do with the creation of AW or Warbirds.

Wild Bill did nothing but put Air Warrior into a box on the shelves of stores, it was created by Kelton Flynn of Kesmei in the late 80's with Johnathan Barron producing the later versions in the mid 90's.

Warbirds was programed by me and originally the company was owned by 3 people John McQueen, (later started WWII Online) Robert Salinas, and myself. It was originally titled Confirmed kill and was release in beta in May 1995, and changed names in August to Warbirds. We had not heard of Wild Bill until about 3 years after the creation of Waribrds. Pyro and I decided to implement the Rolling plane set in Warbirds and Wild bill had nothing to do with it, I am not sure if the implementation happened before or after we merged with Imagic (later named IENT).

Pyro and I left ICI/IENT in November of 1998 and started  HiTech Creations incorporated April 12 1999 and created Aces High along with John Guytan the others who no longer work for me were Nate Mathieu , Veronica Newman and Joan Colceasiour .

HiTech

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #108 on: October 01, 2012, 10:00:23 AM »
All here who have played in a 1 death per day arena say I have.

I Have

HiTech

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #109 on: October 01, 2012, 10:33:20 AM »
All here who have played in a 1 death per day arena say I have.

I Have

HiTech

Well, technically anybody who's played the FSO has, so I have. ;)

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #110 on: October 01, 2012, 11:37:20 AM »
Wiley is my bestest friend.  We have flow as wingies for countless hours.  I always always always see the dots before he does, and my eyesight is very poor.  I have kerotonitus, a degenrative disorder that one day will take from me, the ability to play the game I love so much.  I love "the idea" of the AvA, because of the historical matchups.  I need the icons however, without them I really have no chance.  Also, when I have played there, specifically with a wingman, (Wiley), I experienced an elitist, uninviting attitude.  We were harrassed for using wingman tactics instead of fighting 1 on 1.  Not just once, several times I have been told by the regulars frankly to "leave if you won't play our way", so I left.  Right now I know it is jet week.  I love flying ME262's.  I would love to fly against other 262's but yet, I have not gone in there.  It is my loss, not the loss of the AvA regulars as they have made it abundantly clear that I am not welcome.

Yeah, this is a very harsh criticism of the AvA.  I would love for my opinion to change because those flying there have changed their attitudes.

In conclusion, for me, I speak for no one else, I need enemy Icon's at 3k and friendly attitudes to come play there.

The setting should not be changed just for me, I understand that.  If that is the settings that the majority want then I have no complaint about that.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Cheyenn

• Zinc Member
      • virtual 97th Bomb Group (H)
« Reply #111 on: October 01, 2012, 11:38:48 AM »
 :salute Every One,
I want to say I stand corrected on what I posted. I was going by what I have heard and told by other parties on Ient.
Sorry for making the post
v97th Bomb Group (Heavy)

"VENIT HORA"
"THE HOUR HAS COME"

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #112 on: October 01, 2012, 11:52:37 AM »
I was just hoping one of the many empty arenas could have a rolling plane set for current players to try out.

A rolling plane set would be hard pressed to further empty out an arena that is already empty.

In other news......It's possible warbirds is currently running a rolling plane set in the main arena.

I remember an air warrior con at the Hyatt in fairfax and feeling that something big was on the horizon.....and it was......and still is.

I went to a lot of gaming cons in the early 90s at the crystal city marriot............most of those games are history.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 12:04:14 PM by icepac »

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #113 on: October 01, 2012, 12:12:27 PM »
Wiley is my bestest friend.  We have flow as wingies for countless hours.  I always always always see the dots before he does, and my eyesight is very poor.  I have kerotonitus, a degenrative disorder that one day will take from me, the ability to play the game I love so much.  I love "the idea" of the AvA, because of the historical matchups.  I need the icons however, without them I really have no chance.  Also, when I have played there, specifically with a wingman, (Wiley), I experienced an elitist, uninviting attitude.  We were harrassed for using wingman tactics instead of fighting 1 on 1.  Not just once, several times I have been told by the regulars frankly to "leave if you won't play our way", so I left.  Right now I know it is jet week.  I love flying ME262's.  I would love to fly against other 262's but yet, I have not gone in there.  It is my loss, not the loss of the AvA regulars as they have made it abundantly clear that I am not welcome.

Yeah, this is a very harsh criticism of the AvA.  I would love for my opinion to change because those flying there have changed their attitudes.

In conclusion, for me, I speak for no one else, I need enemy Icon's at 3k and friendly attitudes to come play there.

The setting should not be changed just for me, I understand that.  If that is the settings that the majority want then I have no complaint about that.

I wanted to be done with this one, but here we go with this crap. The so called AvA regulars change all the time. If there were people in there saying what you claim, they may be long gone.

I have done my level best to get people away from an us vs them mentality, but we can't control what people do all the time.

We can't prevent people from flying how they choose to, and we can't prevent people from complaining to others about it.

Also don't mistake a no enemy icon environment for no icon at all environment. Iv'e flown both and you have friendly icons well within combat distance to help you tell ID friend from foe. For me it boils down to a difference in appearance more than anything else.

I can't speak for everyone, but there are plenty of folks without uber equipment and uber skills who are able to enjoy the arena. I don't have them and I don't have the greatest eyesight either, I'm pushing 50. I also don't have a very good pilot score.

What I do have is a lot of fun in AvA.

Sorry to hear about your vision disorder, Zoney. I certainly don't have any problems like that so I can't relate. We were recently running a Thursday night LW vs 8th setup where we had icons on, we will let you know whenever we do something like that.

For those who haven't been convinced that AvA is the worst place with the worst people in the world, we welcome you to come try it for yourselves.

Nights after 9pm est are the best times, especially Tuesday.

Icepac, deadstik, if you want to discuss some gameplay ideas come on over to the AvA forum. I've helped botch this thread up enough so that's where I will be.

Out.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 12:27:56 PM by jimson »

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #114 on: October 01, 2012, 12:14:02 PM »

:rofl

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline deadstikmac

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #115 on: October 01, 2012, 12:36:26 PM »
Guys...

My intentions were to throw an idea out there about an arena where NO icons or anything of that nature... Not to reinvent the wheel. I am sorry that I have stird the poop pot on that topic.... I did not realize just how much of a sore topic it was.

Now that everyone has taken a breath...

Lets all rember we are fighting over how much fun something is or could be... In the end it still needs to be fun. What is fun for one person might scare the poop out of another.

Everyone has good valid oppions... But none were really on topic to my OP.

On a side note...  May your aim suck, may your fuel load permantly be 25%, may the sun be in your eyes, and above all may you truly be happy because your good is better and your better is great.

Offline surfinn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #116 on: October 01, 2012, 03:01:45 PM »
Zoney

I fly there all the time with my squad mates and we never get flak for using "wing man tactics". The only time it gets to be a problem is when a squad brings in 12 players and gangs every con they find. No Icons can be frustrating especially if your not used to it but as I said earlyer it sure helps improve your SA. I think its great to have a differant type of game play within the same game but that's just my opinion.  :salute sir  Man this thread sure got hijacked.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #117 on: October 01, 2012, 05:33:09 PM »

I'm sorry, you've had to journey through the dark side to us.  :D

Welcome to AH!  :airplane:
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #118 on: October 01, 2012, 06:18:12 PM »
No Icon is fun when the arena has several AvA staff present and both sides have 6 to 10 players choosing to furball. The worst issues take place at the end of the evening most of the time after the staff logs out. Or when they are not present at other times. I don't know about the current culture in the AvA but, it's past iterations since 2002 from CT to AvA have always devolved into a semi private, Theme based DA where visitors were guppies for the sharks to take a break from each other. Retaliation was squadmates of one of the guppies coming in to slaughter the sharks.

Creating an arena that only a subset of players can function in well, creates an arena with a dominat culture who feels entitaled to treat the none subset members as outsiders. Thats what the custom arenas are for.

No Icon would play better if the specks and dots at distance were a few pixels larger and had better contrast response across most computers\monitors used by the community. Even with the map aiding your search for cons, it's a crap shoot resolving them as 2D elements moving rapidly on a 2D monitor in low light and CM introduced ground level clouds. And camouflage against the ground aside in the game. In real life the ground stays still while something attracts your eye's motion sensativity as out of place(contrasting) blurring across the ground clutter.

Very often for those who I have compaired experiences with. The description is the dots(cons) are about the same color as the background unless framed against blue sky while in motion until they are close enough to pull their trigger. At which point they contrast as individual entities as long as they stay engaged with you and are inside of 2.5k. Once they or you loose engagement they again diffuse back into the clutter.

Yes a giant flat screen TV on my wall would make these cons easy to see as LARGE pixels opposed to a 50\50 roll of the dice on a 22 inch LCD monitor at 1024 textures. Size and passive contrast from the surrounding pixels makes No Icon fun for a small subset of AH players fortunate to see pixels contrasted from the background more efficiently than most.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #119 on: October 01, 2012, 07:43:58 PM »
I don't know about the current culture in the AvA but, it's past iterations
True, you apparently don't know about the current culture.  So, what purpose does the past serve in your statement?  Come on in and give it go.   :salute

All gave some, Some gave all