Author Topic: Planes in LW vs. Respect  (Read 5379 times)

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
Re: Planes in LW vs. Respect
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2012, 08:52:40 AM »

Don't you think it might be even more difficult were you flying a P-40C?

- oldman

It is without a doubt, let no one tell you differently.  There is no possible way for anyone to have the firepower, speed, climb, or turn ability (etc) in a P40x that would lend him the same capability as any of the F4U's to get done what he just said he likes to do (engage a horde).  Is it absolute?  No.  But the odds of *anyone* engaging in the MA's or a duel while in a P40C vs the typical LW fighters are strongly against them.  Having a P40C handicaps their ability in a major way.  If it wasn't the case then the numbers would be much more balanced across the board in terms of plane usage.  The F4U's can have outstanding boom-n-zoom abilities, are fast, retain E very well, have average or better firepower, and if by chance the P51, La7, or Dora gets on their six with equal E the F4U is one of the few planes that can run almost as fast and yet outmaneuver them at all speeds.   

The argument of "it is the pilot, not the plane" is an incomplete statement.   

I'm anxious to hear what mtnman has to say about the P40C vs F4Ux in the MA or in a duel. 
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2012, 09:37:03 AM »
Everything the P-40 can do, the F4U can do better.

Why else would the current Late War kill tally look like this:

Kills In:  F4U-1A: 620   P-40C: 3

Players want a reasonable chance of success, so they choose planes that will give them that. 

Situations, pilot skill and flying style obviously help dictate the outcome of a sortie, but to say that some planes are not easier than others is silly.

If it weren't, why did the nations of WWII bother to keep upgrading their equipment?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 10:00:30 AM by caldera »
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2012, 08:34:40 PM »

Don't you think it might be even more difficult were you flying a P-40C?

- oldman

Was that in question?
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2012, 08:50:27 PM »
It is without a doubt, let no one tell you differently.  There is no possible way for anyone to have the firepower, speed, climb, or turn ability (etc) in a P40x that would lend him the same capability as any of the F4U's to get done what he just said he likes to do (engage a horde).  Is it absolute?  No.  But the odds of *anyone* engaging in the MA's or a duel while in a P40C vs the typical LW fighters are strongly against them.  Having a P40C handicaps their ability in a major way.  If it wasn't the case then the numbers would be much more balanced across the board in terms of plane usage.  The F4U's can have outstanding boom-n-zoom abilities, are fast, retain E very well, have average or better firepower, and if by chance the P51, La7, or Dora gets on their six with equal E the F4U is one of the few planes that can run almost as fast and yet outmaneuver them at all speeds.   

The argument of "it is the pilot, not the plane" is an incomplete statement.   

Again, this wasn't in question (from what I've seen).

The question appeared to be about respect earned as it related to landing kills in different planes.

I'm anxious to hear what mtnman has to say about the P40C vs F4Ux in the MA or in a duel. 

There-in lies the error in your thinking... 

Do you assume that landing kills in the P40C means the pilot killed an F4U?  Or fought alone (i.e 1vs 1)?  Or did anything but linger on the outskirts of a fight to jump in and pick planes that were defenseless for one reason or another?

I would argue til the cows come home that I could fly a P40C and make/land kills easier than I can in an F4U-4, simply by flying in different areas, and/or under different circumstances than I fly an F4U-4.  I've done just that in a P40 (but I don't think I've ever flown the P40C?).

For example, I lone-wolf fight against the hordes in an F4U-4.  That's difficult. 

In a P40C I could fly with a squad protecting me, and only fight "safe" opponents.  I could gang, instead of fighting the gang.  That would be easy in comparison to lone-wolfing against a horde in my F4U-4.

Landing kills in my P40C, if you thought I deserved respect for being successful in the "difficult" plane, you'd be mistaken.  If you felt I didn't deserve respect for landing kills in my F4U-4 you'd be mistaken.

Heck, I've even easily beat multiple opponents in a P40, simply because they were very unskilled.  I landed their scalps, and was saluted. I've done that on multiple occasions.  If someone (anyone) thought it was a noteworthy accomplishment they were wrong.

You cannot accurately judge "respect" earned based on kills landed in plane type.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2012, 10:05:51 PM »
Was that in question?

The question was:

"On the other side of things though, which planes do you feel in the LW arena are the most difficult to get kills in?"

So...yes, that was in question. 

There's no doubt that a person can up a P-40C, hide in the weeds, avoid all contact with enemy planes, and then suddenly pounce on some crippled goon in the landing pattern and get a kill.  We see just this sort of thing all too often in the MA (except that usually it isn't a P-40C).  It's why I've never been impressed by seeing huge kill tallies in the MA; there's no way to tell whether they were acquired by vultching, picking, ganging, repeated rearming or some other, more difficult way.

The gist of the original question, and the discussion which followed, was whether, as between two people flying in essentially the same style, the guy who flys the less-capable plane deserves more respect than the guy who flys the more-capable plane, and which plane would be the most difficult to fly in the MA (I assume the OP meant the LW MA) under such circumstances.  I'm surprised that there's any dispute about the first part, and I've yet to notice much discussion about the second.

- oldman

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2012, 12:16:34 AM »
When im in a Spit16, i can successfully fight against 2-3 "average" spits - depending on how they double team or just jump on me.
When im in a G6, one spit16 is hard enough to kill.
Also, in the G6, i can effectively fight against 2-3 P40s, either they are double teaming or not.
And the P40 is nowhere near the P39...

This is the difference.
And "how" they fly, of course. Idc, you can fly anything, as long as youre not a hide-in-the-horde-then-pick-and-run type, you get respect.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 12:19:07 AM by Debrody »
AoM
City of ice

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2012, 12:18:14 AM »
When im in a Spit16, i can successfully fight against 2-3 "average" spits - depending on how they double team or just jump on me.
When im in a G6, one spit16 is hard enough to kill.
Also, in the G6, i can effectively fight against 2-3 P40s, either they are double teaming or not.
And the P40 is nowhere near the P39...

This is the difference.

I think that's why we were so generous with them when the russians needed airplanes.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline DangerousGame

• Zinc Member
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2012, 03:31:11 AM »
To answer the origanal question, the spit1 is pretty hard for me to land kills in, Someone already mentioned that you cant tell how anyone got there kills, I personal don't link landing multiple kills with respect, If someone I fell earned my respect lands multiple kills I will usually <S> them though   :joystick:
DG51 =Pony Express=

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2012, 04:09:15 AM »
its not what you fly, its how you fly... period.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2012, 08:25:30 AM »
its not what you fly, its how you fly... period.

You drank the kool-aid too?

If your plane can not out turn or out climb someone then getting your guns on them becomes very difficult.

If your plane can not out run someone then getting away from their guns become almost impossible (in the end game). 

If your guns are of weaker stature (think P40C, I-16 w/ .30 MG's, etc), then snap shots are much harder to be successful with.

The point many are trying to make is that it certainly does make a difference because if the plane simply can not perform to a certain level.  The counter argument seems to be that it doesn't matter if you're in a corvette or Volt: they both will get you from point A to point B.  That isn't the argument anyone is trying to make, but instead that getting to 130mph, taking corners at 90mph, etc etc, all favor the 'vette.  Makes no difference if the location is MA or DA, the ability to land kills in a P40C is far more challenging than in a Spit16/P51D/La7, etc, etc.  This "pilot is everything" bravado gets a bit comical at times.       

Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2012, 10:40:42 AM »
Planes make a difference for sure.  I think they make a little bit more difference in this game than they would have in real life.  The ratio of plane/pilot skill is probably 60/40ish, imo.

The difference between the planes can, to some degree, be made up for with pilot skill/SA.  But, imho, there is no substitute for raw plane performance.  It makes the job of killing and landing (if that's your thing) much easier. 
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2012, 10:52:25 AM »
Anyone can make their own choice what to fly based on their own goals. Every airplane is an easy mode plane.

That is so incredibly laughable, I almost spit coffee over the monitor.

In a regular environment, the faster plane that can operate at the target altitude has a huge advantage. If that wasn't true, you'd see P51s/La7s/Temps/262s being shot down in droves by everything else in the plane set.

What I consider 'ability'is to fight your opponents fight and still win the engagement. For example, a good stick in a P51 will maneuver with aircraft with a lower wing loading and still win. Unfortunately, aside from just a few p51 flyers, they are a bunch of sack less wonders that will not engage unless they have every possible advantage (alt, speed, position, and numbers). Heck, there is an entire squadron of them in AH; I think they even go to the bathroom together!

This can apply to others flying other airframes too (a certain mission building F4U pilot comes to mind), but P51s are absolutely the worst offenders.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2012, 11:17:51 AM »
My experience of encountering the P-40 indicates I am either marvelously and magically better than the guys in P-40s as compared to merely average against most or that the P-40 is markedly harder to use than the Mosquito.

I think the second of those is much more likely to be true.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2012, 11:50:34 AM »
You drank the kool-aid too?

Sure in a 1v1 situation, one plane will do better in a dog fight than another... But that doesn't garner any respect. What I respect is a pilot who is willing to scrap and do so even if the odds are not favorable. And for that I don't care what plane they are in, its more about impressing me with their skills as a pilot.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2012, 11:56:46 AM »
Sure in a 1v1 situation, one plane will do better in a dog fight than another... But that doesn't garner any respect. What I respect is a pilot who is willing to scrap and do so even if the odds are not favorable. And for that I don't care what plane they are in, its more about impressing me with their skills as a pilot.
A Spitfire Mk XVI will do better in a multi-plane dogfight than a P-40C will because it is more able to place itself where it needs to be and to capitalize on that placement.  A multi-plane engagement does not erase the advantages of the better performing aircraft.  While more opportunities are created in a multi-plane fight, a better performing aircraft will have more opportunities created than a poorer performing aircraft.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-