Author Topic: iPhone 5 anyone?  (Read 2856 times)

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Re: iPhone 5 anyone?
« Reply #105 on: October 07, 2012, 09:37:08 AM »
That's quite weird since my family has now had 3 android phones and they all require drop down menu to connect. Sony Xperia refused to mount at all without installing the software.

Well, there's sony for you.  They're the only tech company with worse intentions for their customers than Apple.  My computer has been "rooted" exactly once in the last 15 years, and it was by Sony.  And when they got caught, nobody went to jail.  Putting sony software in your computer is like having sex with the same hooker who gave your buddy aids...  You'll get exactly what you'd expect to get from that transaction.

That said, I have an iphone 4S and like it a lot.  I expect to use it until it dies because it already does more than I need it for.  I did make the mistake of installing iOS 6 but I expect that to get sorted out in a month or two.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Stalwart

• Silver Member
« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2012, 03:54:39 PM »
iphone and ipads are made in Thailand, Malaysia, the Czech Republic, South Korea, Singapore, the Philippines and china.  most of the jobs apple creates arent here in the usa.

semp

Unless you're a hipster who wants to work in the apple store at the mall.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #107 on: October 07, 2012, 06:12:08 PM »
Unless you're a hipster who wants to work in the apple store at the mall.

summer is over so no more shorts and skirts, so not me.  then again  not many would have a 47 year old man that is 5'2 and weights 300 lbs.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #108 on: October 07, 2012, 09:27:03 PM »
summer is over so no more shorts and skirts, so not me.  then again  not many would have a 47 year old man that is 5'2 and weights 300 lbs.

semp

Did you really just post about how you wouldn't take a job because they wouldn't let you wear a skirt?  Gross.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #109 on: October 07, 2012, 10:10:39 PM »
Did you really just post about how you wouldn't take a job because they wouldn't let you wear a skirt?  Gross.

naw was talking about seeing your mom wearing those short shorts :);

semp

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #110 on: October 07, 2012, 10:23:16 PM »
If you had to fight for hours to discover a hidden menu to be able to do something as simple as plugging the thing to USB you'd think differently. Of course it's no problem now that I know that the menu is there and needs to be used. But when I didn't know about the menu it was infuriating enough to almost return the phone. My problem with the first android phone was also that it had no user manual with it. In all honesty after using the iphone I didn't expect to have to google instructions for it either. With my new iphone I could do everything I imagined I needed to do without any trial/error or any instructions. Everything is thought out and clear. In retrospect I should have used Google when trying out the Android but I actually thought the phone was just broken when it didn't mount (the first android I bought was an ultra-cheap HTC knock off from China.)

If you had to fight for hours to find it then I feel for you
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #111 on: October 07, 2012, 10:40:21 PM »
If you had to fight for hours to discover a hidden menu to be able to do something as simple as plugging the thing to USB you'd think differently. Of course it's no problem now that I know that the menu is there and needs to be used. But when I didn't know about the menu it was infuriating enough to almost return the phone. My problem with the first android phone was also that it had no user manual with it. In all honesty after using the iphone I didn't expect to have to google instructions for it either. With my new iphone I could do everything I imagined I needed to do without any trial/error or any instructions. Everything is thought out and clear. In retrospect I should have used Google when trying out the Android but I actually thought the phone was just broken when it didn't mount (the first android I bought was an ultra-cheap HTC knock off from China.)
I won't exactly echo Shuffler's sentiments but almost everything you do with an Android phone is done through the pulldown menu, and in my experience with iPhones they're nearly the same way, as far as having important things in the pulldown menu at the top of the screen. Really the pulldown menu is the most natural, straightforward place to put things like that, and complaining about it is almost as silly as complaining about having to use the menu bar at the top of a Mac for anything. Or the same exact feature on the iPhone for anything.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #112 on: October 08, 2012, 12:10:27 AM »
If you had to fight for hours to find it then I feel for you

Yep. I had no idea that kind of menu existed in Android and the phone was a China knock-off so my first intuition told me it just didn't work.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #113 on: October 08, 2012, 12:11:57 AM »
I won't exactly echo Shuffler's sentiments but almost everything you do with an Android phone is done through the pulldown menu, and in my experience with iPhones they're nearly the same way, as far as having important things in the pulldown menu at the top of the screen. Really the pulldown menu is the most natural, straightforward place to put things like that, and complaining about it is almost as silly as complaining about having to use the menu bar at the top of a Mac for anything. Or the same exact feature on the iPhone for anything.

There's no menu that you need to pull down from the top of the phone such as Android 'notifications and USB stuff' menu is. Which is also why I didn't realize to look for one from 2.3 untill I got frustrated enough to just start swiping the screen randomly before throwing it to the wall.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #114 on: October 08, 2012, 02:56:36 AM »
That's quite weird since my family has now had 3 android phones and they all require drop down menu to connect. Sony Xperia refused to mount at all without installing the software.

We have 2 Xperia's, both connect in whatever way you want without installing software. I'm guessing the software 'install' merely added a needed device driver to your OS?

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #115 on: October 08, 2012, 03:12:15 AM »
Yep. I had no idea that kind of menu existed in Android and the phone was a China knock-off so my first intuition told me it just didn't work.

so the iphone isnt made in china?

semp

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #116 on: October 08, 2012, 03:28:21 AM »
We have 2 Xperia's, both connect in whatever way you want without installing software. I'm guessing the software 'install' merely added a needed device driver to your OS?

Latest Xperia with android 4.0 pushes a driver/software install automatically for windows. For mac a separate install is required. The software is similar to Nokias control software for example.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #117 on: October 08, 2012, 03:29:10 AM »
so the iphone isnt made in china?

semp

It seems you're not aware that you can buy unbranded copies of any major electronic devices from China for a fraction of the price :) Even iPhones.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #118 on: October 08, 2012, 06:20:27 AM »
It seems you're not aware that you can buy unbranded copies of any major electronic devices from China for a fraction of the price :) Even iPhones.

I dont believe that.  china really?  i thought all the knock offs were made in tiwan.

semp

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #119 on: October 08, 2012, 02:03:21 PM »
What Apple does best is excellent marketing to people who are Brand Name-centric and have consumer loyalty.  :devil