Author Topic: iPhone 5 anyone?  (Read 2730 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: iPhone 5 anyone?
« Reply #75 on: October 06, 2012, 01:34:56 AM »
You plug in an android phone it will ask if you want to use as drive/ charge/ or several other things..... no drop down menu to go through.

You're wrong. USB connection won't initiate in many android versions before you pull down menu and tell it to mount to the computer. It DOES ask what to do - but the question is hidden in the pulldown menu. Was quite annoying when using the phone for the first time and expecting it to 'just work' like the iPhone does :)

To add insult to the injury, all that was found in the settings were some USB interface debugging options which did nothing except pork the connection. Ice cream sandwich at least pushed a software to install automatically when plugging in the phone - but only a windows version. Mac version had to be downloaded manually.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 01:42:28 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #76 on: October 06, 2012, 01:47:03 AM »
Yes your vesion has already been tweked. The ios6 is in the tweaking stage now. lol

iOS usually ships fully tweaked and ready. With the exception of 6. And this is how I like it.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: October 06, 2012, 02:19:12 AM »
You're wrong. USB connection won't initiate in many android versions before you pull down menu and tell it to mount to the computer. It DOES ask what to do - but the question is hidden in the pulldown menu. Was quite annoying when using the phone for the first time and expecting it to 'just work' like the iPhone does :)

To add insult to the injury, all that was found in the settings were some USB interface debugging options which did nothing except pork the connection. Ice cream sandwich at least pushed a software to install automatically when plugging in the phone - but only a windows version. Mac version had to be downloaded manually.

on my droidx once i selected the first time too look at files then every single time after that it would remember that as the option.  and since the only reason I would think for plugging a phone to a computer would be to look at files or install files then that's the only option I ever needed.  my droidx only had froyo and gingerbread and both were the same select it once then it would remember. now I have the rezound with ice cream sandwich and it's the same thing.  I dont have to select every time.

and the option wasnt hidden as the first time I got my droid x it took me about 3 seconds to figure out what to do. later I had it rooted and with a different rom to get rid of all the crapware that I didnt need.  I think the total time from opening the box to having a custom rom was about 2 hours.  and that was only because I didnt even know how to root a phone or install a rom.  my rezound was rooted and had a custom rom in 1/2 an hour.  funny thing is I was also able to overclock my droid x and it was fast, my friends were impressed with how much faster it was than theirs.  I havent really messed up with the rezound yet as I mostly using it as a hot spot for my tablet that also has android.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: October 06, 2012, 02:54:05 AM »
on my droidx once i selected the first time too look at files then every single time after that it would remember that as the option.  and since the only reason I would think for plugging a phone to a computer would be to look at files or install files then that's the only option I ever needed.  my droidx only had froyo and gingerbread and both were the same select it once then it would remember. now I have the rezound with ice cream sandwich and it's the same thing.  I dont have to select every time.

and the option wasnt hidden as the first time I got my droid x it took me about 3 seconds to figure out what to do. later I had it rooted and with a different rom to get rid of all the crapware that I didnt need.  I think the total time from opening the box to having a custom rom was about 2 hours.  and that was only because I didnt even know how to root a phone or install a rom.  my rezound was rooted and had a custom rom in 1/2 an hour.  funny thing is I was also able to overclock my droid x and it was fast, my friends were impressed with how much faster it was than theirs.  I havent really messed up with the rezound yet as I mostly using it as a hot spot for my tablet that also has android.

semp

It took me about 2 hours to accidentally swipe down on the screen to figure out there was a pull down menu hidden. I didn't expect to have to use one in the first place since every phone I've owned so far had connected easily to the USB - not so with Android 2.3. Also the iPhone doesn't have any pullodown menus so I didn't expect to find one. The android interface is just bad compared to the iOS.

If we have to compare the time it took for me to configure ice cream sandwich to work with google accounts etc. to the iphone - the iphone setup was done in 30% of the time with an easy and straightforward setup. I've had to setup Google accounts to two of my kids now and it's a nerve breaking process to try to find a user name that is not cryptic/impossible to remember but gets accepted. It seems letters and numbers are mandatory - but the setup fails to say so anywhere so it's trial and error BS.

My first iPhone setup went like this: Plug the phone in. iTunes pops up automatically. It asks me a couple of questions and voila its done. Amazingly easy. Where Android it was try, fail, try, fail, try, fail, get frustrated and almost throw the damn thing away, try, fail, try, fail.... untill x hours later it sort of worked. Problems started already from plugging in the USB and Google account setup was a total PITA especially that you had to set it up through the annoyingly small phone screen. Just a pleasure to retype your username 100 times using those crappy little virtual keys. NOT!

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: October 06, 2012, 03:15:36 AM »

It took me about 2 hours to accidentally swipe down on the screen to figure out there was a pull down menu hidden.

I never had a phone with a pull down menu either. and to use my google account on ice cream sandwich was just a matter of logging in.  same for my yahoo account.  and none of my google accounts has numbers.  it's only letters.

and the thing I like about android is that you can use 1 account for all your devices.  I use my same google account on my tablet and my phone.  both are just set up by logging in when you first turn on the phone.  all my contacts etc are automatically synchronized across my phone and my tablet.  and the apps that I bought on the droidx, I was able to install on my rezound and on my tablet.  I didnt have to buy them again.  actually i didnt have to look for them either as they were linked to my google account so it was a matter of downloading.  when I got my table it took me about 1 minute to set up and log in to my google account.  from there the market was automatically available and my youtube account was already logged in.

so in one step I logged in to all 3 accounts.  gmail, youtube and android market.  contacts automatically downloaded for my gmail.  and it still doesnt have numbers for my log in id.  and yes it's the same gmail account I have been using since i had another phone that wasnt an android phone.

and guess what when I get another android tablet or phone, it will take me the same amount of time to set up the phone and whichever games or apps I already purchased I using my gmail account.

btw setting up an android phone isnt any longer or more complicated than the iphone, they both take the same amount of time to install and get working.  I have had an iphone too.  and at work my had hardcore iphone fanbois but when they saw what we could do with the droidx, they all switched to android phones.

and btw if you want to make it easier for your relatives to use their phones, have them install the golauncher.  it makes an easy to use phone even easier. and they can download several themes that will change the icons to their liking.

semp
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 03:22:43 AM by guncrasher »

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2012, 04:03:42 AM »
I never had a phone with a pull down menu either. and to use my google account on ice cream sandwich was just a matter of logging in.  same for my yahoo account.  and none of my google accounts has numbers.  it's only letters.

Hmm I have yet to see an android phone that doesn't have top-to-down pulldown menu for USB connectivity, notifications etc. When I tried to set up a google account for both my kids, their user names did not get accepted. My son and daughter have very atypical names (mix of italian/greek/finnish) that 100% garanteed does not exist as a google account. Yet the usernames didn't get accepted and it suggested instead of 'John Doe' to use 'John Doe184094' or something similarly stupid.

and the thing I like about android is that you can use 1 account for all your devices.  I use my same google account on my tablet and my phone.  both are just set up by logging in when you first turn on the phone.  all my contacts etc are automatically synchronized across my phone and my tablet.  and the apps that I bought on the droidx, I was able to install on my rezound and on my tablet.  I didnt have to buy them again.  actually i didnt have to look for them either as they were linked to my google account so it was a matter of downloading.  when I got my table it took me about 1 minute to set up and log in to my google account.  from there the market was automatically available and my youtube account was already logged in.

Same exact thing works with iOS. You just plug the new device in and give the system permission to sync your account to it.

btw setting up an android phone isnt any longer or more complicated than the iphone, they both take the same amount of time to install and get working.  I have had an iphone too.  and at work my had hardcore iphone fanbois but when they saw what we could do with the droidx, they all switched to android phones.

That is simply not true. Just the fact that setup happens through the phone interface makes it 10x harder. Of course Android setup was easy compared to Nokia for example if you count out the retarded Google user name hassle.

and btw if you want to make it easier for your relatives to use their phones, have them install the golauncher.  it makes an easy to use phone even easier. and they can download several themes that will change the icons to their liking.

Haven't heard of this, thanks for the tip. I'm an android noob admittedly.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2012, 05:58:19 AM »
go to gmail and create an account using the id:

ripleylies

I just tried it it's available :).  just did it to prove that you dont need numbers.  now remember gmail has a zillion email adresses so most names are taken by now, that's why they suggest numbers.

and the phone i was refering to that didnt have a pull down menu wasnt an android. the droidx was my first android phone.  the rezound was my second one and the tablet that I use is the galaxy tab 2 7.0.

I changed the roms on my droid monthly and every time I needed to basically reauthorize my phone.  so I know  that all you have to do is log in to set up your phone.  but the best reason for rooting your phone is that if you have games there's apps that will save your apps and data so you dont lose your game settings if you change phones.  the data can be backed up to your computer, but the phone must be the same, useful for when my droidx broke and got a replacement.

btw another good app that I use is called poynt.  wherever you are it will guide you to the nearest restaurants, gas stations, hotels or whichever place you want to go.  the best feature about it is that you can look up the gas prices of the nearest gas stations.  and it guides you using google maps.  also has a movies section which is pretty cool too.  it even shows the previews and times of your local movie theaters.  that app was really cool when i drove to dallas a couple of years ago.  never had to worry about finding a restaurant or a gas station.

semp

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2012, 06:44:57 AM »
iphone and ipads are made in Thailand, Malaysia, the Czech Republic, South Korea, Singapore, the Philippines and china.  most of the jobs apple creates arent here in the usa.

... but 1000s are and (obviously) its those jobs I'm talking about. they are based in the US and pay their corporate tax there.

I dont have a dog in this race but it strikes me as very odd that in a recession so many americans are bashing apple, which amounts to a Buy Foreign campaign.  :confused:
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2012, 06:47:57 AM »
go to gmail and create an account using the id:

ripleylies

I just tried it it's available :).  just did it to prove that you dont need numbers.  now remember gmail has a zillion email adresses so most names are taken by now, that's why they suggest numbers.

I do not lie and I detest you claiming that I do. My kids names are unique and no account was available using them - so there's something seriously messed up in the process. I had to literally try dozens of different variations before it accepted one. There's simply no way any other person in the world has the combination of the same italian first and my finnish last name - especially with both kids.

and the phone i was refering to that didnt have a pull down menu wasnt an android. the droidx was my first android phone.  the rezound was my second one and the tablet that I use is the galaxy tab 2 7.0.

Well duh.

I changed the roms on my droid monthly and every time I needed to basically reauthorize my phone.  so I know  that all you have to do is log in to set up your phone.  but the best reason for rooting your phone is that if you have games there's apps that will save your apps and data so you dont lose your game settings if you change phones.  the data can be backed up to your computer, but the phone must be the same, useful for when my droidx broke and got a replacement.

See that's the problem. I wouldn't want a phone that needs new roms and stuff all the time because it doesn't 'feel right'. I just want something that does the job.

btw another good app that I use is called poynt.  wherever you are it will guide you to the nearest restaurants, gas stations, hotels or whichever place you want to go.  the best feature about it is that you can look up the gas prices of the nearest gas stations.  and it guides you using google maps.  also has a movies section which is pretty cool too.  it even shows the previews and times of your local movie theaters.  that app was really cool when i drove to dallas a couple of years ago.  never had to worry about finding a restaurant or a gas station.

Thanks for the tip - however I doubt it even works here in scandinavia. Google maps does all that already anyway, except movie previews.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 06:49:57 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »

Offline 68Raptor

• Gold Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2012, 06:54:21 AM »
Its hardly the phone's fault if you couldnt configure your email account on it, I cant imagine a simpler way of setting up accounts.

although I should say pretty much the only thing which annoys me about IOS is that you cant set up different sigs for different accounts in Mail, a rare oversight. grrr.

In iOS6, goto settings / mail,contacts,calendars / signature and select per account.

Switched from Blackberry to the iPhone 4s last year and have not looked back. Tried 2 different Driod phones prior to that... returned them both within the 30 days since they would both locked up at random times. I figured that no one would ever beat Blackberry and how stable they are / were. Played around with my daughters iPod a few times and made the switch over. Been a year now and still have not had the iPhone lock up on me. Even picked up an iPad for some work related apps I found. Like previously mentioned it all just works. I don't have the time to spend messing with this, that or the other thing on my phone... It just needs to work and do what I'm asking it to. The iPhone does for me.    

Executive Officer
68th Lighting Lancers

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: October 06, 2012, 06:58:22 AM »
ok thx, I assumed they would add multiple sigs at some point. I'm holding off on upgrading to 6 until the bugs have been squashed.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline mipoikel

• Gold Member
      • http://www.llv32.org
« Reply #86 on: October 06, 2012, 07:34:43 AM »
I dont have any problems with ios6. It works fine in iPhone 4 and ipad3 . Maps may be bad but i dont need them anyway. On the other hand it was really useless update.(for me)

I think iOS is quite boring now and im going To buy new Nokia lumia 920 next.
I am a spy!

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: October 06, 2012, 07:36:13 AM »
I dont have any problems with ios6. It works fine in iPhone 4 and ipad3 . Maps may be bad but i dont need them anyway. On the other hand it was really useless update.(for me)

I think iOS is quite boring now and im going To buy new Nokia lumia 920 next.

I use the maps application for navigation almost daily so I'm not going to update iOS6 untill they get it fixed. Of course I could buy navigon that I've been planning for some time...

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #88 on: October 06, 2012, 07:45:34 AM »
same here, I'm looking for a house at the moment so I'm using a bunch of apps which rely on maps integration. Its really useful being able to drive around and see all the properties available, historical prices etc.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #89 on: October 06, 2012, 08:56:45 AM »

Your wrong. I plug my phone in and it ask how I want to connect. Simple as that. I do it every day. Any computer I have polugged it into did the same.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)