Author Topic: iPhone 5 anyone?  (Read 2739 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: iPhone 5 anyone?
« Reply #90 on: October 06, 2012, 08:58:04 AM »
iOS usually ships fully tweaked and ready. With the exception of 6. And this is how I like it.

lol
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #91 on: October 06, 2012, 09:02:37 AM »
... but 1000s are and (obviously) its those jobs I'm talking about. they are based in the US and pay their corporate tax there.

I dont have a dog in this race but it strikes me as very odd that in a recession so many americans are bashing apple, which amounts to a Buy Foreign campaign.  :confused:

If you buy apple it is buying foreign. Of course apple is by far not the only product with an American name that you would actually be buying foreign.

My Daughter's camaro for instance.... made in Canada. lol
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 09:05:22 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #92 on: October 06, 2012, 09:41:48 AM »
Your wrong. I plug my phone in and it ask how I want to connect. Simple as that. I do it every day. Any computer I have polugged it into did the same.

Works on my phone (tm)  :lol

2,9 million hits on Google tell that some others have pulldown menus for USB and some even don't have it showing at all. If your USB settings are not set to 'always ask' it will never even give a clue that something needs to be done.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 09:45:08 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #93 on: October 06, 2012, 10:28:43 AM »
You're wrong. USB connection won't initiate in many android versions before you pull down menu and tell it to mount to the computer. It DOES ask what to do - but the question is hidden in the pulldown menu. Was quite annoying when using the phone for the first time and expecting it to 'just work' like the iPhone does :)

To add insult to the injury, all that was found in the settings were some USB interface debugging options which did nothing except pork the connection. Ice cream sandwich at least pushed a software to install automatically when plugging in the phone - but only a windows version. Mac version had to be downloaded manually.
Every droid I've ever used/owned or borrowed has asked me on it's on. Never had to select from a drop down menu....
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #94 on: October 06, 2012, 01:50:48 PM »
Every droid I've ever used/owned or borrowed has asked me on it's on. Never had to select from a drop down menu....

That's quite weird since my family has now had 3 android phones and they all require drop down menu to connect. Sony Xperia refused to mount at all without installing the software.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #95 on: October 06, 2012, 01:59:47 PM »
You can set it so that it asks you every time it's plugged in, or that you just have to select it from the pull down menu. My phone was initially set to the former but I think I've seen friends whose phones were factory set to the latter.
I really don't see how this is a flaw in the phone.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #96 on: October 06, 2012, 02:33:34 PM »
If you buy apple it is buying foreign. Of course apple is by far not the only product with an American name that you would actually be buying foreign.

aww cmon, this is not difficult economics here. spending $100 with Apple is better for the US economy than spending $100 with Samsung.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #97 on: October 06, 2012, 02:42:55 PM »
You can set it so that it asks you every time it's plugged in, or that you just have to select it from the pull down menu. My phone was initially set to the former but I think I've seen friends whose phones were factory set to the latter.
I really don't see how this is a flaw in the phone.

If you had to fight for hours to discover a hidden menu to be able to do something as simple as plugging the thing to USB you'd think differently. Of course it's no problem now that I know that the menu is there and needs to be used. But when I didn't know about the menu it was infuriating enough to almost return the phone. My problem with the first android phone was also that it had no user manual with it. In all honesty after using the iphone I didn't expect to have to google instructions for it either. With my new iphone I could do everything I imagined I needed to do without any trial/error or any instructions. Everything is thought out and clear. In retrospect I should have used Google when trying out the Android but I actually thought the phone was just broken when it didn't mount (the first android I bought was an ultra-cheap HTC knock off from China.)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #98 on: October 06, 2012, 03:34:33 PM »
I do not lie and I detest you claiming that I do.

ripley sorry for using the ripleylie id but I tried about a dozen names before i could get one without a number.  it was a joke as I thought it would be unique enough to not been used before.  meant nothing by it.

as for changing roms, i didnt have to change them because they didnt feel right.  I changed them for the seasons.  like for valentine's day I got one hearts and all cutesy that my gf thought it was adorable. it's like changing clothes.  wouldnt you like to wear different styles and not the same thing everyday for 2 years?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #99 on: October 06, 2012, 04:21:43 PM »
LOL I don't know how you managed to not get your e-mails working on the iPhone. The setup process was ridiculously easy and straightforward. iTunes is a pleasure to use especially if you're doing it right and run it on a Mac. You can't even plug an android phone to a USB without pulling down menus and other ridiculous stunts :D Not to mention having to install software or browse through the file system folders to do simple stuff / risk damaging system files.

You sir are absolutely the biggest troll ever when it comes to anything negative towards Apple products...well maybe not. As for pull down menus, etc... WTF are you talking about? The only thing I have ever had to do was install a "driver" for my phone to be read by my computer and that was tremendously different than what iTunes did to my previous desktop with the installation of that Bloatware product.

As for the settings to get email to work; I never could get it to work and neither could the IT department at my former employer and two of those guys were Apple fans from the early days and that is all they played with trying to keep our Apple users and PC users connected and such. Anyway Ripley I don't expect anything different from you on this subject as you are only going to say....Blah Blah Blah Apple is good and Android is bad and if you can't/don't want to use Apple products then you are not intelligent enough to use it anyway.

Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline warhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #100 on: October 06, 2012, 04:46:51 PM »
To transfer files over USB (why use cables in the first place?) on my Galaxy Nexus, all I do is plug it in.   No pull down menus necessary, just plug it in and that's it.   

The bigger issue is why you can't accept there is no single phone that is perfect for everyone.   
warhed
=Wings of Terror=

"Give me sheep, or give me death!"

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #101 on: October 06, 2012, 05:56:34 PM »

You sir are absolutely the biggest troll ever when it comes to anything negative towards Apple products

he's not a troll he's just passionate about his iphone.  not really any different than me being passionate about android phones.  he loves his toy and i love mine.  we just bump heads about who owns the better one.   not any different than talking about cars.  which is really the best car?  me I love the mustand, rest of you trolls can only kiss up to it:).

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #102 on: October 07, 2012, 03:20:53 AM »
To transfer files over USB (why use cables in the first place?) on my Galaxy Nexus, all I do is plug it in.   No pull down menus necessary, just plug it in and that's it.   

The bigger issue is why you can't accept there is no single phone that is perfect for everyone.   

As said before some phones come with 'auto accept' preset and others don't. It seems Samsungs are setup differently than HTC / Sony although my daughters Samsung xtreme did also require the use of pulldown menu. Perhaps the difference is that she has an iMac - maybe the phone also behaves differently using it.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #103 on: October 07, 2012, 03:26:29 AM »
he's not a troll he's just passionate about his iphone.  not really any different than me being passionate about android phones.  he loves his toy and i love mine.  we just bump heads about who owns the better one.   not any different than talking about cars.  which is really the best car?  me I love the mustand, rest of you trolls can only kiss up to it:).

semp

I'm not passionate about iPhones at all :) I just counter the saliva laden iHate writings for being what they are. I probably would not pay for an iPhone if I had to pay it myself - but there's no denying it's a great product that's very easy to use. With Android you get more freedom (meaning also freedom to pork the phone) which is great for some people but tweaking phones is not my cup of tea. I want a phone that I can use for (in order of importance) 1) Make phone calls 2) Use as navigational help 3) When no other connectivity is available, tether my computer 4) If everything else fails, browse with mobile browser 5) Games for my kids if they don't have their phones for some reason while traveling.

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #104 on: October 07, 2012, 04:05:51 AM »
As said before some phones come with 'auto accept' preset and others don't. It seems Samsungs are setup differently than HTC / Sony although my daughters Samsung xtreme did also require the use of pulldown menu. Perhaps the difference is that she has an iMac - maybe the phone also behaves differently using it.

you are right about the xperia... it does have weird setup to use it on a pc...but once done it should just plug and play so to speak... it p'd me off when i first did it with mine( had one for a short time ) ... I didn't find it too clunky though...you must admit...it does take great pictures... I had a digital slr 12mp...and the xperia kicked it's prettythang when it came to picture/film quality.... and music...  I'm one of these types who walks around with 20odd gb min ...(you just never know when a party will happen) and I found the format brilliant .... better than iPhone( I really don't like how iTunes categorizes)  and the new samsung (better than iTunes but still a little messed up).