Author Topic: Potential Billion Dollar Storm  (Read 4453 times)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Re: Potential Billion Dollar Storm
« Reply #150 on: October 31, 2012, 07:18:08 AM »
Over 900,000 homes and businesses here on Long Island without power. Thousands of homes damaged or destroyed by the storm surge. Many thousands of homes damaged by falling trees and wind.

My company will be closed until power is restored, likely not until near the end of the week.

My home suffered no damage, other than a loose shingle. I've already lost 4 trees over the years to hurricanes and nor-easters. I had three sections of stockade fence come apart, but I planned to replace the entire fence this spring anyway. Minor clean up took a couple of hours. We didn't lose power or cable. Our immediate area always seems to come through with the power lines intact. Lots of trees down in various neighbor's yards. Two on houses, with one very badly damaged. An 80 foot pine fell across the driveway of the neighbor behind us. I went over there and chainsawed off the top 25 feet to get his driveway clear. It'll take a tree service to remove the rest. An old, unused phone line pulled partially out of another neighbor's house. Dangling about 8 feet above the road, I could see that the first truck that came through would rip the junction box off of the neighbor's house, possibly doing damage. I cut the line, looped up the wire and tied it off to the power pole. I then disconnected the balance from the junction box. Busy day yesterday.
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #151 on: October 31, 2012, 07:38:02 AM »
one of my customers has a son in hoboken(i think?) which he said is just off the hudson? he said parts of it are below the level of the water under normal circumstances.........his son lost both cars, and his house may be beyond repair too........
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #152 on: October 31, 2012, 08:27:14 AM »
Our power came back on last night, but still have 120k + without power here. 
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #153 on: October 31, 2012, 08:38:36 AM »
No it is not.  A cheap juvenile shot at a disaster.

This is a weak storm..... not a disaster. It will do damage to an area that rarely gets hit.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #154 on: October 31, 2012, 09:33:48 AM »
This is a weak storm..... not a disaster. It will do damage to an area that rarely gets hit.

actually this is 3 years in a row something's hit us in this area.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #155 on: October 31, 2012, 10:13:44 AM »
actually this is 3 years in a row something's hit us in this area.

Still rare.

I read where 40 people have lost their lives so far. At least one was a fireman doing his job..... terrible.

I just hope he was not trying to rescue someone who did not evacuate when told to do so.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 10:15:20 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #156 on: October 31, 2012, 10:15:13 AM »
 If you ask many who have homes or businesses at the shore this storm was devastating. Some of the charming Beachfront homes that have stood for almost a century are now in the Barnegate Bay. The Boardwalks may never be the same. Memories are all that's left of days at the boardwalk, walking on the creaking wood floors in the arcades, the Carousels, the scent of an iconic sausage sandwich stand, and taking the kids on the day trips I was taken by my Parents.

We will carry on, we're tough, We are New Jersey. Living by the Ocean the threat of Nature is always there. It has shown it's beauty and now It's terrible power. Things will be replaced and you have to be thankfull the loss of life was minimal.

I myself consider myself lucky. No power for several days now but my home is sound and dry. I live very near the Bay and hundreds of homes nearby had 5'+ of water including my Nieces home. My Brother in Law has been on duty for several days now as he is search and rescue for one of our local Fire Depts. Massive amounts of wires are down and getting power back may take a bit but many workers were in place before the storm hit and I thank all those that have left their comfort to help us out.  :aok

I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #157 on: October 31, 2012, 11:22:32 AM »
a friend of mine is is in the guard. their down in atlantic city trying to rescue people that thought this was mild. thanks to the mayor countermanding the governers order to evac.

talk to mbaily about how mild this is/was. i'm thankful nothing bad happened to me or mine......
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #158 on: October 31, 2012, 03:13:20 PM »
Made out OK in Northern Delaware. It's amazing how these storms pick and choose where to do all the damage. As the crow flies we're not that far from extreme destruction on the Jersey coast and here it was just a nasty rainy night. I volunteered to work thru the night and got put up in a hotel and just flipped thru the channels watching the weather chicks waiting for calls for floods or power outages that never happened. By the way Philly area guys after years of being a big Cecily fan I think Sheena is blowing by her as weather chicks go. I gotta say that's gonna go down as the easiest OT I ever had.

Down South at our beaches there was a lot of damage from flooding. Much like what you've seen in OC, NJ only a notch worse. My parents have a beach house there that's two blocks from the ocean on the bay side and they had a lot of flooding. Didn't quite make it onto the first floor which is good but otherwise it's a mess. Looks like a war zone outside according to my brother earlier this afternoon.

My in-laws are in North Jersey and have been without power since early Monday afternoon. They have a lot of trees down.

For this locale in recent memory I'll take Floyd for straight up rain, Isabel for straight up wind (that one took out trees all over and I was out of power for days). Then we had remnants of Henri that was a largely unforecasted ammount of mayhem. That one had incredible flooding and spun tornadoes out of nowhere and then was just gone. Tossed around the C-130s at the NG base near me like they were toys. Needless to say there were no C-130s on the tarmac here by Friday night.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #159 on: October 31, 2012, 03:45:32 PM »
a friend of mine is is in the guard. their down in atlantic city trying to rescue people that thought this was mild. thanks to the mayor countermanding the governers order to evac.

talk to mbaily about how mild this is/was. i'm thankful nothing bad happened to me or mine......

It was a storm. It could have been a lot worse. That was not a bad storm by comparison.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #160 on: October 31, 2012, 05:12:50 PM »
How long do you think it will be until salt water taffy and copper kettle fudge is once again flowing out to those in need?

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #161 on: October 31, 2012, 05:37:03 PM »
My cousin's house... 5,000 sq/ft, boat slip on the canal on the great South Bay of Long Island. Six feet of water in the ground floor....

A genuine Amityville Horror.

My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #162 on: October 31, 2012, 06:32:43 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
Funny, funny midCoombzway, kinda reality around here. Except for us poor locals. Spare a pentz Midcombzyway sir? :D

Anyways just saw my internetz is working. Eastern shore,MD we recieved 11 inches of rain ,and wind gusts around 70-80mph. Power went out for alittle over 24hrs, some less, some more.

Sorry to see parts of NJ, caught the worst part of storm surge. Isabel, wasn't a big rain maker here years ago. Till morning when the tides /surge came in the house. It stops being even remotely funny when that happens. As for the boardwalks calm down, nails and wood they'll be rebuilt.

Bailey, that's a nice boat in your picture. Did the idiot return the boat safely back into the inlet, or beach it?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 06:35:58 PM by crazyivan »
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #163 on: October 31, 2012, 07:40:13 PM »
Still no power for about 54+ hours....things are ok here. House is getting cold but we will deal. Got a roof and 4 walls which is alot more than most people. Starting to hate Campbells soup, and the though of peanut butter is making me nausious (sp)  :lol  Were gonna wander out south tommorow as I got a call from my friend that the town south of us (where he lives) got power back today.......Im gonna eat my weight in pancakes.

Wish I could go out and buy every one of those Linemen working so hard around here a cup of coffee. They are a credit to their trade :aok

Drano, glad to see you checked in brotha and that you and the family are ok......stay safe.

If any of you want to know how NJ will be after this, re read Slates post........ :aok :aok

Bailey, that's a nice boat in your picture. Did the idiot return the boat safely back into the inlet, or beach it?
Ill know more after i touch base with some of my friends on the coast. What i do know is one of the guys called me and told me that that photo was on TV. Famous for being a moron......lol.

I know that at least 1 friend completely lost his home, but him and his family are safe. Ive tried to get ahold of a guy from AH that is over in Jersey near the coast, but havent got a text back from him yet.  Couple others are flooded out.I also know that LBI is really in a bad way.....wife and I have gone there every year since our childhoods........and taken the kids since they were babies.....really sad knowing that a place that has brought us so much joy over our lifetimes is destroyed.

One thing i will say is that this Verizon 4G MiFi thing work gave me is a lifesaver.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 07:47:15 PM by mbailey »
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #164 on: October 31, 2012, 07:51:45 PM »
sad part is that something like this will probably hit the area again next year.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"