Author Topic: bomb aiming ?????????  (Read 4861 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: bomb aiming ?????????
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2013, 08:37:50 AM »
Earl said in another post that flying into the wind, or with the wind at drop altitude netted good hits for him.

If this is true, it is going to make bomber approaches to targets a bit more predictable. Once you know a buffs alt and the wind direction for that alt you'll know his path and can set up better to ambush him.  OTOH, I think that if the winds are here to stay it won't take long until people figure out how much drift they will get for a certain wind setting and accuracy will improve. Maybe not back to the lazer guided bombs we had (which was a bit unrealistic anyway), but to a reasonable hit percentage that encourages skill.

This is one of those instances where I wish we would get a notice from HTC as to the whats/why of the setup. Maybe come monday we will and it will be "oops!". Only time will tell.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2013, 08:42:55 AM »
During WWII, imagine bomber crews returning to their respective airfields and telling that to the debriefing officer's and putting it in their after action reports.  :furious

There was a reason that tens,hundreds,even a thousand bombers at a time, were assigned to, flown to, and attacked a target over Europe and elsewhere during WWII. It was not just for the combined protection against intercepting fighters but also the need for target saturation. :O

Your not flying a modern day bomber dropping a laser/GPS guided bomb! :confused:

Those that wish for and/or get 'real world' realism in a game often discover and/or don't understand the difficulty participation in that realism may encompass.  :old:
All of that is fine, but is it acceptable to the game if bombers become useless?  Do you want the consequences of that?
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2013, 08:45:56 AM »
A further thought...

As I said above I don't 'worry' much about myself, I will try to adapt, but more about the possible impact on gameplay. Bombers possibly being more easy meat than now by flying at predictable altitudes and more distracted bomber pilots having their hands full in the bombsight, much higher relative efficiency of suicide jabos and so on.

I actually like it that you can't hit microscopic targets with utmost precision anymore, but when introducing this factor of 'realism' there should be also a provision for more area targets for the bomber pilots. Targets, on which utmost accuracy doesn't matter, but which are too big and to spread out for the fighter-bombers. Just like the central strats, but more of them and dispersed all over the map. The bombers need more appropriate targets than hangers.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2013, 08:47:57 AM »
Right now, seems more like our experiences over Japan...dropping from mid teens has your bombs being blown 4 different (3?) at double digit speeds before hitting ground.....not sure how you could calculate for that. My experience was missing target by half the width of the base. I'm thinking there's zero wind under 10k tho. I can't imagine people bothering with B29's,  Mebbe they could tweak the site so you had to manually input for the wind direction/speed (how did Nordens do it?)
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2013, 08:52:33 AM »
All of that is fine, but is it acceptable to the game if bombers become useless?  Do you want the consequences of that?
that's fairly what happened back in....'03 or '04 .......proved to be not worth the time investment, and you had more whords of jabos. Should be interesting at any rate
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2013, 08:53:04 AM »
Why?  Unless there is some BS game stuff with the wind you won't notice the wind during a fight -- everyone is in that same "ocean of air".

i've tried to explain it to people many times.. it persists though.. they think the wind is going to let them turn better, climb better, or something LOL..

the ONLY place they'd notice an effect is if there were winds near ground level and they were fighting in a canyon, near a mountain, etc... they'd have to pay attention to drifting into terrrain.  
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2013, 09:05:46 AM »
Wind affects rockets in a big way. Anybody remember doing air to ground with rockets near the high alt bases of the brown pizza map?

Another thing, if the wind settings are like they were back then, the wind changes direction at different altitudes. So dropping bombs directly with or against the wind is only going to help if you're at low altitude.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2013, 09:07:25 AM »
that's fairly what happened back in....'03 or '04 .......proved to be not worth the time investment, and you had more whords of jabos. Should be interesting at any rate
Yup, and that bombsight was actually pretty easy to hit your target with because all of the factors in its success or failure were still in the player's hands.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2013, 09:08:54 AM »
Winds like those, coming from all points of the compass, make this more of a video game and less of a sim everyday. :mad:
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2013, 09:17:10 AM »
Winds like those, coming from all points of the compass, make this more of a video game and less of a sim everyday. :mad:

Actually quite the opposite.

Have you ever felt the wind coming from one direction and looked up to see the clouds going the opposite way?
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2013, 09:19:28 AM »
Actually quite the opposite.

Have you ever felt the wind coming from one direction and looked up to see the clouds going the opposite way?
Extremely rarely.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2013, 09:39:41 AM »
Extremely rarely.

Maybe that doesn't happen in Texas but it sure happens here a lot.
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline TOMCAT21

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2013, 09:45:27 AM »
I havent bombed enough yet to say I am for or against it but so far I am liking the realism to it.
RETIRED US Army/ Flying and dying since Tour 80/"We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded." - Capt. Richard Winters.  FSO 412th FNVG/MA- REGULATORS

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2013, 09:45:50 AM »
It's not enabled in any other arenas including training arena.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2013, 09:52:16 AM »
Maybe that doesn't happen in Texas but it sure happens here a lot.
Not in Northern California where I grew up either.
Nor during the nine weeks I've spent in Maharashtra, India.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-