Author Topic: There's wind now?  (Read 6713 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
There's wind now?
« on: April 13, 2013, 08:34:30 AM »
I was going to ask this morning but I see in all the bomber discussions that there is.

I was climbing out on auto climb last night and my nose kept lifting and falling.  I thought my joystick was screwed up or something at first so I kept resetting auto climb.  Then I noticed the auto pilot light was staying on when this was happening so figured it must be something new but was wondering what.

I guess I didn't notice any big effect other than that.  Has anyone noticed any effects during a fight?

:airplane: <--- The effects of wind and turbulance.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
Re: There's wind now?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 05:07:37 PM »
the wind effect needs transition layers or somthing that attempts to simulate the atmosphere being a fluid and not being solid tectonic plates shifting in different directions.

its terribly unrealistic to have wind modelled this way.

as a rare localized clear air occurance ok maybe but as a country wide fixed altitude bland effect that does nothing but make bomber pilots angry... ah is better off without it.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 05:46:08 PM »
Wonder if it's possible to have it do different stuff at different parts of the map, like clouds used to. I expect it's an arena-wide thing though
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline MrGeezer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 05:57:09 PM »
It's nice that HTC had to fix something that was never broke.

Killing Virtual Bad Guys Since 1995  Disabled, retired.

"Posting anything, which says anything positive about anyone, on our board, will always turn into a derogatory mess. It should be a forum posting rule."  Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline eeyore

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 05:58:16 PM »
I first noticed the wind when climbing for alt in my P47, the nose bounced around a little on auto climb. I thought it was my stick calibration so I checked that and everything was ok. I wrote it off as a visual or graphics rendering blip (my laptop is not so fancy) and since it wasn't really effecting my fighter game play I just ignored this.

I switched to bombers later in the evening and suddenly I couldn't hit any of my targets. I was flying the new Lancasters, I thought they were just acting weird, until I checked my E6B and noticed there was wind at 18K. The bomb sight was not taking in to account for the wind, so I tried to do my own math to take in to account for wind drift. While my bombing accuracy suffered, I did like the challenge of trying to make manual corrections to hit my targets. I wouldn't mind a little wind in the arenas, just wish there was some way to input the data into the bomb sight.

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 08:16:07 PM »
In the SEA scenarios i've flown the bomb claibration did not compensate for wind (auto or manual). the player had to adjust on gut reckoning alone. Somewhere I've seen a bombing calibration figure that took into account bomb drift at various wind speeds/directions based on a certain altitude AGL. I'll have to hunt for it, will come in handy now.

"Lord, let us feel pity for Private Jenkins, and sorrow for ourselves, and all the angel warriors that fall. Let us fear death, but let it not live within us. Protect us, O Lord, and be merciful unto us. Amen"-from FALLEN ANGELS by Walter Dean Myers

Game ID: ShtGn (Inactive), Squad: 91st BG

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 08:35:36 PM »
Noticed it last night..made me   :D
Hope we keep it.
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 08:50:45 PM »
Years ago I thought it would be awesome to have a real world weather environment like Real Envoronment Extreme for FS9/FSX but within flying minimums/maximums as per real WW2 flying operations. So that a thunderstorm wouldn't ground everyone.

Of course those running 10 year old computers would complain but it would be a great enhancement to have real variable weather.

Maybe we could have two arenas one for those that keep up with technology in cpu/gpu's and those that still expect 60fps on their 10 year old business desktops.  :ahand

<S>...-Gixer

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 08:58:02 PM »
again.. . I   :rofl   at those who are so quick on the draw to condemn something they're not willing to learn.  The learning curve is short, fellas.  Relax.  It isn't like most of you "vets" can't adapt and over come.  jeeesh.  

READ YOUR E6B AND ADJUST.  Today in the MA LWA, wind was 0 MPH from 0-10k, then 20mph from 10k to 20k with a heading of 180° (due south), then above 20k the wind stayed at 20mph but shifted to a 270° heading (WEST).

I was in a He111 northbound and I dropped 2/1000kg bombs on a CV from 12k and didn't change a thing.  One bomb was dead on and the other short by just a hair.  The longer your bombs travel through the wind the more it is going to drift.  So... the higher you go the less "precise" the bombs will be.  That means those 30k+ B29 runs will need to use more of the carpet bomb approach vs the precision bombing approach, which is all actuality is far more consistent with the real deal.   :aok  The higher you go the less accurate you're going to be.  Valid concept.  So I'll say here as I said in the other "there is wind???" thread: suck it up, cupcakes. Deal with it and adapt!  :aok
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 09:13:56 PM »
again.. . I   :rofl   at those who are so quick on the draw to condemn something they're not willing to learn.   It isn't like most of you "vets" can't adapt and over come.  jeeesh.  

I have seen relatively few ppl "condemning" it. I have seen several players raising concerns not related to the ability of us individual "vets" (whatever that really means) to adapt and overcome, but to the overall impact on the game. I already expressed it in details in that other thread that was inexplicably moved to "Help & Training"

What I didn't mention yet is my disappointment the lack of communication by HTC. Suddenly putting such a severe change in the game on a weekend without any notice. Not even an arena message notifying of it, much less any explanation if it's a test or already planned to stay. And not any hints on how to cope with it (arena message would be very helpful again. But then, HT himself thought the bombsight would compensate, which it clearly does not.). Players just suddenly find their bombs being way off without any explanation.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline HL117

• Nickel Member
      • Aircams
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 09:20:22 PM »
I need a MEM check but at one time was there not thunder heads and lightning in the MA?

Maybe I dreamnt that.........
Whether you think you can or cannot, you are right!

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 10:13:40 PM »
as a rare localized clear air occurance ok maybe but as a country wide fixed altitude bland effect that does nothing but make bomber pilots angry... ah is better off without it.

anything that makes bomber pilots angry is fine with me
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 10:33:48 PM by coombz »
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 11:32:06 PM »
I was climbing out in a 47 and noticed the nose bouncing up and down as well as side to side (already knew about the wind but had forgotten). I watched the E6B and it seemed to change speed and heading slightly as alt increased. I don't know if it's supposed to or if I'm reading it wrong.

Anyway, I like it. It adds a new challenge to the game. The challenge of this game is what keeps me coming back.

Offline Gwjr2

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 11:40:24 PM »
Nothing new we had wind 10 years ago to many people cried  :cry at how hard it was and they turned it off LOL Now only if they would address the dive bombing Lancs and such.....
Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 11:50:32 PM »
Nothing new we had wind 10 years ago to many people cried  :cry at how hard it was and they turned it off LOL Now only if they would address the dive bombing Lancs and such.....

they could just remove bombers completely from the game possibly.

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.