Author Topic: There's wind now?  (Read 6714 times)

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
Re: There's wind now?
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2013, 10:27:10 AM »
The bomb sight is supposed to correct for the wind if calibrated correctly.

It sounds like there is  a bug that needs to be addressed.

HiTech

Yup!  (I was thinking about this on Friday, but thought it might be an arena setting that may of been intentionaly disabled)

Also, many people are expressing more disdain for the wind transitioning from 0 to 20mph after ascending 2-feet than they are at the actual presence of wind in the MA.  (but I still blame Ack-Ack!)

It's a "new" challenge to work with for sure in the MA, but it isn't "that bad".  The worst of it is that it is showing where, in regards to wind in AH, where the feature/wind is a little behind the times.

Anyone had luck turning dead into or with the wind (flying 0/180 in relation to the wind)? I've been trying to do this but it's not as easy/simple as you'd think.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2013, 10:27:45 AM »

It sounds like there is  a bug that needs to be addressed.

HiTech

So am I right when assuming that wind is about to stay? And more importantly, will it be enabled at the current altitudes, or are you maybe considering Caldera's proposal of enabling it at ~20k and above?

And while at it, how about disabling the wind until the bug is fixed? ;)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 10:30:35 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2013, 10:30:12 AM »
I have no issue with wind being in AH, though transitional layers would be nice, but I don't want bombers above 10k to become extinct.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2013, 10:36:02 AM »
For those not around earlier this week, this all started in the thread wishing/suggesting/requesting for windsock, tetrahedrons, and sock hawks: http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,347315.msg4586163.html#msg4586163

I would hope yes, the wind is something that will likely not go away, and would be nice after getting some updating/remodeling/lovin'.
-Babalon

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2013, 10:49:12 AM »
Uh, there is wind now. have you tried recently?

The title of the thread kind of gave it away.   :)

If you don't find the bold and underlined part imperative to stress, than I don't where or when you do your bombing.

Unless you're 999000 or intentionally upping a Death Star, you should be planning an approach to minimize fighter interception I would think.  Is that not what you do?
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2013, 11:01:17 AM »
I guess if there's wind it would be nice to have it gradiated like +2 mph every thousand feet or something rather than none then suddenly 20 mph or whatever it is.  Also if done this way direction could be gradiated as well.

Again I haven't noticed a big effect other than the nose bounce when you hit it but then again I rarely fly bombers anymore and haven't since this was implemented.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2013, 11:44:04 AM »
Planes feel more real, the bombers will have a more accurate representation.

Agreed that it needs more buffer between each zone so the gust's of wind aren't so drastic. However if realistic weather is ever added i can see flying into or through a storm front to mimic how planes feel right now.

All in all a nice change, also helps the planes feel less like they are on invisible rails.
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2013, 12:04:09 PM »
20 MPH horizontal wind shear is not drastic, I don't believe it's even considered significant as long as you aren't near the ground.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2013, 12:08:13 PM »
20 MPH horizontal wind shear is not drastic, I don't believe it's even considered significant as long as you aren't near the ground.

You're the first person I've heard mention "drastic".  Many have mentioned transition.  IE: 0 to 20mph in the distance of 1 vertical-foot.
-Babalon

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2013, 12:26:43 PM »

I didn't say I wanted it, a previous post mentioned ftr pilots wanting/not wanting wind. But I don't know what it would really matter to the bomber pilot if the ftr pilot had to deal with wind.

like i said, you have to think about it for more than 10 seconds :)

just think about who might get the tail wind or head wind in a chase.   :uhoh

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2013, 12:37:16 PM »

It sounds like there is  a bug that needs to be addressed.

HiTech

Will the bombs still be laser-accurate (as with no wind) if calibrated correctly - and if so, what would be the point of having wind?
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2013, 01:12:15 PM »
You're the first person I've heard mention "drastic". 

Look at the post right above mine. The part where it says "drastic".  :lol

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2013, 01:32:06 PM »
Will the bombs still be laser-accurate (as with no wind) if calibrated correctly - and if so, what would be the point of having wind?
Well, wind still affects flight.  A tailwind makes your ground speed faster, a headwind makes it slower and wind coming from the side will make flying a straight line harder.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2013, 02:25:49 PM »
Well, wind still affects flight.  A tailwind makes your ground speed faster, a headwind makes it slower and wind coming from the side will make flying a straight line harder.
Also....choosing the alt with the correct wind direction can change your speed 20-40 knots I'm thinking?
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2013, 02:27:29 PM »
In the SEA scenarios i've flown the bomb claibration did not compensate for wind (auto or manual). the player had to adjust on gut reckoning alone. Somewhere I've seen a bombing calibration figure that took into account bomb drift at various wind speeds/directions based on a certain altitude AGL. I'll have to hunt for it, will come in handy now.

If you are at a direct headwind or tailwind, the automatic bombsight will compensate. If it is at a crosswind, it will not.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com