Author Topic: There's wind now?  (Read 6783 times)

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
Re: There's wind now?
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2013, 11:51:53 PM »
Time for a break from aces high.

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2013, 12:01:05 AM »
It's nice that HTC had to fix something that was never broke.

They added something to the MA.

Wind was available, just not in the MA, they added a different way to measure it in the last patch, and then included it.

What is that thing they were fixing that was not broken?  The game wasn't broken when the He111 and the Ki43 were added, should adding new things need break something?

What are you concerned about by adding wind?  I can think of a few things that would affect gameplay myself.  I'm excited that wind makes flying at specific altitudes much more important to maximize aircraft performance, and as a result can be a new tool to gain competitive advantage.  I am concerned about the effectiveness of level bombing vs. jabo attacks. (In terms of AH gameplay.) as I would prefer (personally) to see bombers in AH given a role of more importance, not less, which I believe will be the case.  Then again maybe this is the first step of many to shift level bombers to a more potent strategic role? (<--wishlist)

Regardless I did not say "it's different, it sucks" :old:

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2013, 12:08:27 AM »
they could just remove bombers completely from the game possibly.

Your avatar would not longer be valid though.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2013, 12:19:59 AM »
Your avatar would not longer be valid though.

I'm on the side of making it easier for bombers to hit stuff.  I don't see the point of the 90 degree wind layers, other than to draw the bombers lower, where they're even easier to kill.. If they are kept below 10k, I can kill them reliably with a field gun. that's not right IMO.

I trust HTC is just testing and playing with settings.

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2013, 12:28:03 AM »

I'm on the side of making it easier for bombers to hit stuff. 

I'm not a bomber guy, but I do dabble from time to time... it's already easy for bombers to hit stuff.  As long as you're not bothered with fighters and your salvo/bombload is appropriate, an accurate drop is a forgone conclusion with no wind. 

I don't want to see bombers nerfed, but taking out a hangar from 25k shouldn't be easy, imo.
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2013, 12:40:58 AM »
I'm not a bomber guy, but I do dabble from time to time... it's already easy for bombers to hit stuff.  As long as you're not bothered with fighters and your salvo/bombload is appropriate, an accurate drop is a forgone conclusion with no wind. 

I don't want to see bombers nerfed, but taking out a hangar from 25k shouldn't be easy, imo.

Uh, there is wind now. have you tried recently?

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2013, 01:57:18 AM »
Bombing in the wind:  (If too complicated, just look at the table at the end of the section titled "The Model".)

http://electraforge.com/brooke/flightsims/aces_high/levelBombing/bombingInWind.html

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2013, 02:51:42 AM »
I'm not a bomber guy, but I do dabble from time to time... it's already easy for bombers to hit stuff.  As long as you're not bothered with fighters and your salvo/bombload is appropriate, an accurate drop is a forgone conclusion with no wind.  

If you don't find the bold and underlined part imperative to stress, than I don't where or when you do your bombing. How realistic is it that if I can't get a gunner or don't want someone I hardly know to use up all the ammo, that I have to sit in bombsite calibrating/dropping while jugs tear me up?  IRL, the gunners be gunnin.  

Wind has just made things more difficult for bomber pilots, a breed that spend 3-10 times as long doing what they do for that few seconds of action that ftr pilots can get in sometimes 30 secs after uppin.   Bomber pilots leaving the game, prolly. There are too many other things out there for ppl to do for them to say to themselves, hmmm lemme climb to a safe alt, but now I can't hit may target because of wind, its going to take me 30-45mins, ahhhh screw it is what they are going to say...  

Turn the wind on for ftr pilots if you guys want it. I'm sure some will say ahhh he's lazy he doesn't want to adjust/learn, and I see your point of view. However its not due to laziness, its due to maximizing my time & fun, if something else comes along that delivers the same amount of fun, but for a longer duration - 'tis obvious which one ppl will choose. I'm sure the "Easy Mode" guy is about to make an appearance and... however,  I haven't been around here long enough to give an opinion here re: what happens when things get even more difficult, but I know elsewhere. The learning curve is very steep for this game, flying a bomber was one thing in the beginning (two AH careers  '06 & now) that I felt I could do and help out, get to know ppl, help take a base, and most importantly enjoy the game.  Yada yada yada...

More bomb and ditch, esp. after misses...

I do like the Oscar. 

Jus my .02

« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 02:59:51 AM by RotBaron »
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2013, 03:37:34 AM »
Turn the wind on for ftr pilots if you guys want it.

think about that for more than 10 seconds..

you want two different aircraft flying thru the same space getting different winds?  :rolleyes:

I just find it funny that you can go back thru the wishlist forum, you can probably find a thread a week requesting "wind, rain, weather!"

I wonder how many of those are regretting it now.   :aok

for the record, I dont think we should have any wind in the MA's.   I'd wager 75% of the player base cant even take off from a turning CV.  they have no concept of how wind works. the last thing this game needs is making the entry level (bombers) harder to succeed with.

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2013, 03:58:59 AM »
At least I know now that I am not insane and plane was affected by wind :)

We need avatars in planes :old:

Hi Kvuo your awesome :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2013, 05:02:13 AM »
Heh....was in a furball last night, at some point I did an Immel in my jug in a desperate attempt to get a shot off on...don't remember now....anyhow, was near  stall speed at the top, and as I was trying to roll back level...frikkin plane started floating UP...couldn't put nose down...couldn't right the plane...LOL I had JUST cracked the next wind layer, and it was holding me up....hanging there upside down getting shot at.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2013, 05:15:53 AM »

think about that for more than 10 seconds..

you want two different aircraft flying thru the same space getting different winds?  :rolleyes:

I didn't say I wanted it, a previous post mentioned ftr pilots wanting/not wanting wind. But I don't know what it would really matter to the bomber pilot if the ftr pilot had to deal with wind.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2013, 05:20:29 AM »
Also, somebody mentioned in the other post bombing pinpoint from 30K.  I say they go try that again and see. My luck from anything above 25K is spotty, unless it's the strats and sometimes even there. If you spend the time to get to 30K in a bomber and you miss your target, I'm sure you'll be a little more than unhappy.

If you are able to hit the vh/fth at 30K with pinpoint accuracy and not waste bombs, then they know a lot about bombing I don't...

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2013, 07:03:03 AM »
Having wind over 20k is fine - let the heavies carpet bomb from up there.  They shouldn't have pinpoint accuracy from the safety of that alt. 

The layer above 10k is a bad idea, IMO.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."