Author Topic: what do you look for in a terrain?  (Read 4806 times)

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
Re: what do you look for in a terrain?
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2013, 12:17:14 PM »
I did not say 88's can't be killed, I said a player can't be killed while in an 88.

I'm not going to argue with you anymore on this.  I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings on this subject.  Out.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2013, 12:24:43 PM »
I did not say 88's can't be killed, I said a player can't be killed while in an 88.

I'm not going to argue with you anymore on this.  I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings on this subject.  Out.

ROFL You hurt MY feelings? LOL!

I got that completely the other way around mate. Have you been playing the game for long? I've played AH for so many years that stats are totally meaningless for me. Just look at my current score, 10 minutes playing time and collision, tested the new Yak for the first time 1am half asleep!

I pushed for nr 1 in fighters one tour, after it was done it seemed less important.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 12:27:19 PM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2013, 12:58:32 PM »
Some maps are not very GV friendly. Mind you I dont GV but I like to hunt them and a lot of guys like to play them. On a few maps it appears the spawns werent very well thought out. There just arent enough spawns to air bases.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2013, 01:24:50 PM »
I vaguely recall asking if we could put lone AA guns into an MA terrain and being told no. I think the reason was that there was a bug with the lone gun which meant that it didn't look damaged once it had been killed and this could cause a player to waste ammo/ord on an already killed gun. This was a few years ago and things may have changed now. However I'd still advise any MA map builder to check with HTC before adding lone AA/AT guns or anything else non-standard to their map.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2013, 01:54:49 PM »
Anyone know why HTC doesn't allow bridges?

Oh, and another idea. For costal bases, put the town on an isolated island while the base is on land. Or vice versa.

Also, no more crappy SB placement.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Skyguns MKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2013, 09:13:25 PM »
I like terrains that look realistic. Even with the game's default textures it is possible to make the terrain look a lot better than some of the AH1 era MA terrains we have. Just avoid geometrically shaped terrain (square mountains, straight line coastlines etc.) and put in a few rivers and lakes. Also taking the time to paint the textures where they should go, rocky mountains with snow on the top, farms in the river valleys etc.

One thing that irritates me about some MA terrains is that the designer has just used the TE's standard "make roads" facility to create all the roads and then not edited them. This creates all the map's roads and railways and routes them all due north of the bases irrespective of whether there is a mountain in the way. So you get roads running right up or along 60 degree cliffs. It ruins the suspension of disbelief when you fly over one of these.

I don't like terrains that lack CV action, CV furballs are always good fun. If positioned correctly CVs add a degree of unpredictability to an MA terrain. So put at least 3 CV groups in per side with ports near enough to the enemy that they will get used.

Another thing I dislike is big mountains between airfields that force players up to alt and that reduce the amount of action at that point. A player who does take the time to venture over the mountain often becomes loath to give up his alt and fight since he could end up trapped and unable to run home if things get bad. Better to put mountains either side of the direct route between fields to compress the action.

I don't GV but when I was making my map the feedback I got from GVers was to put SPs close together at a field. So for instance not one SP to the north and one to the south, but two to the south a mile or two apart.

Maps that have a large number of front line fields or SPs for players to choose from tend to suffer from a lack of action, particularly in off peak times. But too few bases to choose from can cause the map to become static and boring to win the war types. If you are going to have choke points don't put them on the front lines but a couple of fields back. Outside of the chokepoints I'd suggest giving players 4-6 fields/SPs to choose from on each front line at any point on the map. That gives some variety but doesn't disperse the action to much.

Bear in mind that with the 20% of bases needed to win the war rule that less than half a map's bases are likely to see any action. If you put fewer bases on the map it will get reset faster. Work out how many bases you want to be fought over on your map and then add a load of rear bases behind that to make up the numbers.

One last tip: before you spend a lot of time with the TE on an MA map talk about it to HTC. Send Skuzzy an email describing your map, maybe with a hand drawn map that shows the basic layout. This can save a lot of frustration later when HTC reject your work because the fields are the wrong distance apart or whatever. Also make a post in the TE forum describing it, there's a lot of experienced players there who can save you a lot of time going up dead ends.

All very excellent advise that I will be noting, thank you  :salute. As of now im not committing any time making a official map. Just creating certain environments and areas on a testing map that i will play offline on to experiment. When I get the sample environments right I will put them all together and see how it works out offline. I then hope to consult with consistent players in my testing map or final map to get there opinions and suggestions. I want everything to be perfect before I submit it because I do tend to be a perfectionist when making maps because i do wish the community to have the most possible appreciation for it.  :cheers:

skyguns  :salute

Offline Skyguns MKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2013, 09:23:18 PM »
Me neither... Well scratch that, one time I was deacking at standoff range with the 410. But 88's are harmless, by and large.

And I'd really like to see a few more man guns if anything.

I will be testing samples of different GV environments. swamplands with narrow roads I.E. one tank wide with water on both sides is one thing I will be testing tank ace.  :salute

Offline Skyguns MKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2013, 09:38:38 PM »
Me neither... Well scratch that, one time I was deacking at standoff range with the 410. But 88's are harmless, by and large.

And I'd really like to see a few more man guns if anything.

Please don't put an extraneous amount of 88's, cause 88's really have made the game more annoying to play. The 88's are for people who don't want to use their cartoon life to fight so they rather sit in a gun and just shoot till they finally get you. Me personally, I think it is dumb. Why play a video game if you are afraid to lose at one point. Stop using guns so much and learn ACM.  :rolleyes:

:salute

if I do build Anything with "strategic firing emplacements", It will be well thought out and balanced. I will consult with consistent players amongst the community to help me overlook certain ideas to ensure gameplay. So those of you afraid or in favor of 88s 17lbers or soft guns really have nothing to worry about. I'm getting all aspects on all sides  :salute

Offline Skyguns MKII

• Silver Member

Offline Skyguns MKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2013, 09:48:05 PM »
Anyone know why HTC doesn't allow bridges?

Oh, and another idea. For costal bases, put the town on an isolated island while the base is on land. Or vice versa.

Also, no more crappy SB placement.

interesting, sounds like a nice cv battle. But perhaps a peninsula? Unless you want it to be GVless and protected/attacked by pts. Would like to see more PT play... :headscratch:

Offline shoresroad

• Copper Member
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2013, 01:37:50 AM »
I thought 88's were for cigarette breaks :)
"Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant."
Manfred von Richthofen

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2013, 11:13:10 AM »
Are those custom textures?

I think most are.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2013, 11:01:44 AM »
interesting, sounds like a nice cv battle. But perhaps a peninsula? Unless you want it to be GVless and protected/attacked by pts. Would like to see more PT play... :headscratch:

Some of this, and just to mix things up. GV's can still shell it, but need an LVT if they want to run troops from the ground.

Also, I'd say put the added 88's on the edge of the docks for ports.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2013, 02:27:01 PM »
I don't see it that way. The 88s are manned against hordes when you can't up fighters without getting vulched. I found myself doing a lot of field gunning because I can't be bothered to transit flight a full sector only to be ganged 10:1. The 88 and the 30mm are a nice and fun way to punish the horde a little.

Bingo.

Plus, if your accurate, you can catch them off guard  :D

It is so funny to surprise a horde. I've saved quite a few bases because someone didn't take down the 88s   :neener:

Tinkles

<<S>>
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2013, 03:41:37 PM »
what do I look for in a terrain?

enemy fighters
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.