Author Topic: P-63 KingCobra......again  (Read 33578 times)

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
Re: P-63 KingCobra......again
« Reply #105 on: August 26, 2013, 02:06:05 PM »
Wasn't being disingenuous.  A German AA gunner, especially during this period of the war with the Soviet drive to Berlin, would have been very hard pressed to tell the difference between a P-39 and a P-63.  Hell, even Allied fighter pilots had a tough time telling the difference between Allied and Axis fighters and you think a German gunner that was probably a young teenager or an elderly man with rudimentary aircraft identification training would be able to spot the minor visual differences between the P-39 and P-63 that is attacking them?

As I mentioned before, if you're going to argue for the inclusion of the P-63, you better use better arguments than using an A2A encounter that may or may not have happened or the rumored use of the P-63 over Germany in the final months of the war.  A smart man would use the fact the P-63 did conduct ground support missions during Operation August Storm to argue their point to get the P-63 added instead of unverified claims.

ack-ack
:airplane: Question: Wasn't the P-39 or P-63 designated the P-400 at one time? I thought all that went to Russia which ever one it was, was a P-400! To lazy today to research it! LOL
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #106 on: August 26, 2013, 02:07:53 PM »
:airplane: Question: Wasn't the P-39 or P-63 designated the P-400 at one time? I thought all that went to Russia which ever one it was, was a P-400! To lazy today to research it! LOL
The P-39 built to British specs (20mm cannon) and then appropriated by the USAAF.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #107 on: August 26, 2013, 02:13:51 PM »
The P-39 built to British specs (20mm cannon) and then appropriated by the USAAF.
:airplane: I am a little confused! Are you saying the difference in a P-39 and a P-400 was just the addition of 20MM guns?

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #108 on: August 26, 2013, 02:15:56 PM »
:airplane: I am a little confused! Are you saying the difference in a P-39 and a P-400 was just the addition of 20MM guns?
Here
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=P-400&l=1
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #109 on: August 26, 2013, 02:16:09 PM »
Replacement of the 37mm cannon with a 20mm cannon.  Probably some other detail changes too, but none that would really affect performance.  In AH when you take a P-39D with the 20mm cannon option you are taking a P-400.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #110 on: August 26, 2013, 02:39:35 PM »

I believe the P-400 was the redesignation by the USAAF of some of the P-39Cs the US kept out of the order for the RAF. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #111 on: August 26, 2013, 02:49:22 PM »
Replacement of the 37mm cannon with a 20mm cannon.  Probably some other detail changes too, but none that would really affect performance.  In AH when you take a P-39D with the 20mm cannon option you are taking a P-400.
:airplane: I did a little more research and right after the attack on Pearl Harbor, 200 P-39L's were sent to the Austrialian Air Force and re-designated the P-400, but could never find the reason for the re-designation. I read somewhere can't remember where, that all the 39's sent to Russia were designated P-400. Just can't find the answer as to why they changed the designation of the P-39. Might have had something to do with the "lend-lease" arrangement we had with Russia, but not sure.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #112 on: August 26, 2013, 02:53:55 PM »
:airplane: I did a little more research and right after the attack on Pearl Harbor, 200 P-39L's were sent to the Austrialian Air Force and re-designated the P-400, but could never find the reason for the re-designation. I read somewhere can't remember where, that all the 39's sent to Russia were designated P-400. Just can't find the answer as to why they changed the designation of the P-39. Might have had something to do with the "lend-lease" arrangement we had with Russia, but not sure.

It was redesignated P-400 because 400mph was the advertised speed though in reality I think it topped at 359mph or thereabouts.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #113 on: August 26, 2013, 08:28:19 PM »
ME-163... In
TA152... In
P-47M... In
P-63... Yes.  :aok

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #114 on: August 26, 2013, 10:08:32 PM »
ME-163... In
TA152... In
P-47M... In
P-63... Yes.  :aok

What exactly did the P-63 shoot down? There is a greater chance that the Maus prototype with a working gun fired a few rounds at the approaching Soviets than that the P-63 shot anything down, it seems. Therefore we must add the Maus!!!

And where's my Re.2005? Or any of the dozen other things that need to be added before you get your postwar crap.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #115 on: August 26, 2013, 10:12:32 PM »
It was redesignated P-400 because 400mph was the advertised speed though in reality I think it topped at 359mph or thereabouts.

ack-ack

That's funny I thought it was called the P-400 because most did not have the 37mm auto cannon, instead the 20mm hispano.
JG 52

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #116 on: August 26, 2013, 10:16:40 PM »
What exactly did the P-63 shoot down? There is a greater chance that the Maus prototype with a working gun fired a few rounds at the approaching Soviets than that the P-63 shot anything down, it seems. Therefore we must add the Maus!!!

And where's my Re.2005? Or any of the dozen other things that need to be added before you get your postwar crap.

In another thread I posted much detailed information, there were quite a few Squadrons of P-63s in combat, just because the luftwaffe and Japanese didn't fly doesn't mean it didn't see combat. Over the battle of Berlin the luftwaffe was out of fuel, take an example of the He 162, there was an entire squadron ready to go, except they had absolutely no fuel to fly with.

Also in Manchuria, the Japanese did not want to play with the russians - what few missions were flown on the japanese side were either Ki-43 or Ki-27 hand me downs.
JG 52

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #117 on: August 27, 2013, 01:02:24 AM »
In another thread I posted much detailed information, there were quite a few Squadrons of P-63s in combat, just because the luftwaffe and Japanese didn't fly doesn't mean it didn't see combat. Over the battle of Berlin the luftwaffe was out of fuel, take an example of the He 162, there was an entire squadron ready to go, except they had absolutely no fuel to fly with.

Also in Manchuria, the Japanese did not want to play with the russians - what few missions were flown on the japanese side were either Ki-43 or Ki-27 hand me downs.

You completely missed my point. And I mean completely.

I'm saying that if we introduce a plane with zero kills, who is to say squadron strength is a requirement then? Hell, you're opening the door to the Do 335 and all its ilk, and you damn well known it.

Let me just say that if we get the P-63, I'm going to start lobbying hard for the He 162, Jagdtiger, Ferdinand, G-10, and every other axis hotrod with low numbers or questionable use that I've daydreamed about flying or driving.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #118 on: August 27, 2013, 01:27:05 AM »
You completely missed my point. And I mean completely.

I'm saying that if we introduce a plane with zero kills, who is to say squadron strength is a requirement then? Hell, you're opening the door to the Do 335 and all its ilk, and you damn well known it.

Let me just say that if we get the P-63, I'm going to start lobbying hard for the He 162, Jagdtiger, Ferdinand, G-10, and every other axis hotrod with low numbers or questionable use that I've daydreamed about flying or driving.

P-63 got kills, served in combat strength and in combat. JagdTiger did as well, and Ferdinand, and He-162 and G-10.

Do-335 however, sorry it wasn't in production. It cannot be a prototype, while the Jagdtiger's numbers were low it did serve in combat on numerous areas of operation. However - fuel and Allied tactical planes posed more of a threat to the J.tiger then anything else rendering it "useless".
Ferdinand was used in Kursk Operation, it was deemed a failure - although massive armor and an awesome gun was plagued by a simple lack of a machine gun, maneuverability and it guzzled gas like no tomarrow.

Not sure why you would want the G-10, Its inferior to the K-4 (which was in production) and marginally better then the G-14 if any at all (I can't recall). Its nothing like in the old days of Aces where the G-10 had the K-4 engine with a 20mm option.

He-162 is a questionable problem, while it was in squadron strength (A training squadron) They simply had no fuel to fly. I cannot recall if it ever flew combat missions, most likely it did because I lobbied for it a while back along with the Meteor.

JG 52

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #119 on: August 27, 2013, 03:43:24 AM »
I would be more afraid of the yak3p than of any other prop-plane due to its combined performance.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera