Author Topic: Driven to Drink?  (Read 4000 times)

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
Driven to Drink?
« on: September 06, 2013, 11:36:23 AM »
 :bhead  After a little over 22,000 hours of flight time, all over this world, I have never had but one sip of beer, (ugh), because I have never wanted anything to inhibit my mind. I came into this forum with idea's of grandeur of maybe helping someone, who like myself when I started in aviation, has a mind who is starved for aviation info, stories of flight, pictures of different aircraft and the never ending lust for seeing what is just over the horizon.
The last 3 years has certainly widened my view of aircraft, pilots and stories of feat's beyond my scope of understanding and reasoning as to why or how and what makes people do and  say the things that they do!
I do not, contrary to some people's view, use Wiki much, except to copy something I see which I know is factual, because there are many other sources of information on the net which IS reliable and factual. What is happening now on Wiki is a good example of why it is not reliable, in my view, because the "feminazi's" are posting things on that site, urged on by collage professors giving them course credits, and gosh knows what else they are going to post.
Getting back to my post, I have endured the two most feared things in aviation, Fire and Ice, and have come away wiser and a better pilot for dealing with those. Tornado's, hurricanes, wind shear, clear air turbulence and low ceilings are no big thing, if you are well trained and have the mental discipline to apply the methods prescribed to deal with them. Sometimes one has to improvise, using his best judgement, but that is part of flying.
Someone asked me one time what I thought was the two most dangerous things in world was and my immediate answer was: "doctors in pilot seats and 100 lb women driving 18 wheel trucks on the interstate"!
Now I enter the AH forum and lo and behold, I have finally been driven to drink! Going to go get me a 6 pack of something, don't know what, anybody have a suggestion as to brand?
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: Driven to Drink?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 11:49:24 AM »
:bhead  After a little over 22,000 hours of flight time, all over this world, I have never had but one sip of beer, (ugh), because I have never wanted anything to inhibit my mind. I came into this forum with idea's of grandeur of maybe helping someone, who like myself when I started in aviation, has a mind who is starved for aviation info, stories of flight, pictures of different aircraft and the never ending lust for seeing what is just over the horizon.
The last 3 years has certainly widened my view of aircraft, pilots and stories of feat's beyond my scope of understanding and reasoning as to why or how and what makes people do and  say the things that they do!
I do not, contrary to some people's view, use Wiki much, except to copy something I see which I know is factual, because there are many other sources of information on the net which IS reliable and factual. What is happening now on Wiki is a good example of why it is not reliable, in my view, because the "feminazi's" are posting things on that site, urged on by collage professors giving them course credits, and gosh knows what else they are going to post.
Getting back to my post, I have endured the two most feared things in aviation, Fire and Ice, and have come away wiser and a better pilot for dealing with those. Tornado's, hurricanes, wind shear, clear air turbulence and low ceilings are no big thing, if you are well trained and have the mental discipline to apply the methods prescribed to deal with them. Sometimes one has to improvise, using his best judgement, but that is part of flying.
Someone asked me one time what I thought was the two most dangerous things in world was and my immediate answer was: "doctors in pilot seats and 100 lb women driving 18 wheel trucks on the interstate"!
Now I enter the AH forum and lo and behold, I have finally been driven to drink! Going to go get me a 6 pack of something, don't know what, anybody have a suggestion as to brand?

Orange juice, water, or a cup of milk. :aok

Think of your liver. :old:
It loves you, you must love it back. :old:
Orange juice, water, or a cup of milk are healthy and help you live longer. :old:
Let it be known. :old:

:salute you real pilot, you. :rock

PS:  Stay healthy :)

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 11:58:13 AM »

And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 12:00:56 PM »
Peyote tea. Find your spirit guide.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 12:04:51 PM »
Alcohol is not good for you. :old:

shouldn't start now.

although I understand why the BBS is driving you to drink. :rofl

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 12:07:49 PM »
Kopparberg Pear  :aok
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

HOST: HiTech Shot Down Skyyr Kill#1

Offline -pjk--

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 12:12:11 PM »
Playing online...?? all you need is wine... ok, maybe few beers too :neener:
Ääliö älä lyö ööliä läikkyy!!

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 12:31:54 PM »
:bhead  Getting back to my post, I have endured the two most feared things in aviation, Fire and Ice, and have come away wiser and a better pilot for dealing with those. Tornado's, hurricanes, wind shear, clear air turbulence and low ceilings are no big thing, if you are well trained and have the mental discipline to apply the methods prescribed to deal with them.

hey earl1937 I remember this time in a Piper Arrow coming back to Illinois from Wisconsin. Had spent the day fixing a broken Cessna 150. There was a storm front from Canada to Mexico that had passed over us early in the day and it was getting late, we desperately wanted to get home. As we approached the front it appeared to be solid and we were discussing where to go to stay overnight. I said "hey there's a real low spot we could probably get through that". We decided to go for it. As we approached, the low spot seemed to get higher and higher, "are we gonna make it?" "sure we can make that". We didn't go through any clouds but......we hit turbulence that I felt for sure would rip those wings off. Silly me was in the back seat without my seat belt on. I remember being plastered to the ceiling for what seemed like an eternity and then falling upside down onto the seat. We got lucky that time but we also learned a valuable lesson.

It's just not worth it!  :old:
92 Squadron RAF - Aut pugna aut morere - 'Either fight or die'

Offline jimbo71

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 12:39:06 PM »
Samuel Adams with an orange slice is quite good.

I live right down the road from ya Earl.  I'll meet you on battlefield parkway and we can split 12!   :cheers:

I'd like to hear some of your aviation stories.

<S>
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 12:43:39 PM by jimbo71 »
xxxJCxxx

Skill, Altitude, Airspeed: You need 2 out of 3...

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 12:52:39 PM »

Coke Zero. Nobody should be driven to drink by an online forum. Cheers, Earl.  :cheers:

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 12:57:48 PM »
Samuel Adams with an orange slice is quite good.

I live right down the road from ya Earl.  I'll meet you on battlefield parkway and we can split 12!   :cheers:

I'd like to hear some of your aviation stories.

<S>
:airplane:  Man, send me a PM as to when and where, I'll be there for sure.

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 01:03:27 PM »
:airplane:  Man, send me a PM as to when and where, I'll be there for sure.

But I wanna hear aviation stories too!  Please post transcript of upcoming said meeting with respect to aviation stories.  There are lots of wannabe pilots here that wanna hear the real deal. :aok

I admit to being a wannabe pilot. :old:

:pray

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 01:07:00 PM »
I have a friend flew 52's  during the cold war...he was stationed on some Japanese island.....I forget. On his pto said he would just grab a A26 and buz into tokyo and get blasted..

:cheers:
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 01:13:03 PM »
hey earl1937 I remember this time in a Piper Arrow coming back to Illinois from Wisconsin. Had spent the day fixing a broken Cessna 150. There was a storm front from Canada to Mexico that had passed over us early in the day and it was getting late, we desperately wanted to get home. As we approached the front it appeared to be solid and we were discussing where to go to stay overnight. I said "hey there's a real low spot we could probably get through that". We decided to go for it. As we approached, the low spot seemed to get higher and higher, "are we gonna make it?" "sure we can make that". We didn't go through any clouds but......we hit turbulence that I felt for sure would rip those wings off. Silly me was in the back seat without my seat belt on. I remember being plastered to the ceiling for what seemed like an eternity and then falling upside down onto the seat. We got lucky that time but we also learned a valuable lesson.

It's just not worth it!  :old:
:airplane: the ole "sucker hole" trick got u, sounds like! If your pilot had been paying attention when approaching a cold front from the rear, and you enter an area where the clouds are getting higher than the surrounding cloud base, you are usually entering an area of thermal activity and the clear air turbulence is usually pretty pronounced! When approaching a cold front, just remember, as the front approaches, it forces the warm air up and aloft and that is what forms the clouds, and of course condensation then produces the rain associate with the front. I tried as much as possible not to ever penetrate a cold front from either rear or front of the front, but sometimes, you had no choice, so I made a practice of looking for the soft, slightly grey looking area's because I found these to be the least turbulent for my passengers. Generally speaking if there are "stratus" type clouds around the area you are penetrating, that usually demonstrates smooth air with no upward moving thermals, which is what causes the turbulence. Best thing to do, unless you are in heavy equipment, say from a DC-3, C-46 or larger, DON'T ENTER THE FRONTAL ZONE! Land and continue your flight the next day.