Author Topic: How to avoid the HO shot.  (Read 6608 times)

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: How to avoid the HO shot.
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2013, 04:48:59 PM »
I always do a high displaced inverted barrel roll. Since coming back, I have yet to be pinged while Doing this.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2013, 12:22:29 AM »
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2013, 02:09:31 PM »
I always do a high displaced inverted barrel roll. Since coming back, I have yet to be pinged while Doing this.

May I ask what a high displacement "inverted" barrel roll is?

edit: I guess it's displaced not displacement..... I still don't understand this "move".

How do you do it inverted?

:salute
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 03:36:59 PM by morfiend »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2013, 03:08:51 PM »

May I ask what a high displacement "inverted" barrel roll is?

Sounds like something that would pop a real pilot's head. Barrel-rolling 'cockpit out?'

:salute as well for that type of maneuver

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2013, 06:12:21 PM »
Push down on the stick, and "do a barrel roll".

May or may not pop a real pilot's head. I have no idea  :noid.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2013, 06:22:56 PM »
Push down on the stick, and "do a barrel roll".

May or may not pop a real pilot's head. I have no idea  :noid.

Ok..... :rolleyes:   Where exactly does the inverted part come in,or do you enter the merge inverted?

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2013, 06:24:41 PM »
Well, I'm not sure what else you would call it. You're pulling negative g's, not so?

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2013, 06:31:33 PM »
Well, I'm not sure what else you would call it. You're pulling negative g's, not so?

Maybe a negative G barrel roll,maybe..... Oh I get it a displaced inverted barrel roll sound like some fancy ACM.

Just last night I asked another trainer where some of these guys come up with some of the terms they want to learn,neither of us had an idea,however now I do!

PS: ACM doesn't stand for always can make it up!

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2013, 06:49:13 PM »

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2013, 06:52:56 PM »
  Maybe a negative G barrel roll,maybe..... Oh I get it a displaced inverted barrel roll sound like some fancy ACM.

Just last night I asked another trainer where some of these guys come up with some of the terms they want to learn,neither of us had an idea,however now I do!

Oh, I had no idea. I always figured people just threw words together and came out with some fancy-shmancy move that worked. Thanks, ever so much for your enlightening words of wisdom.  :rolleyes:.

I get the feeling you take either yourself or life in general a bit too seriously. Lighten up, and try not to be so sarcastic whenever you open your mouth, so to speak.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2013, 08:01:11 PM »
Oh, I had no idea. I always figured people just threw words together and came out with some fancy-shmancy move that worked. Thanks, ever so much for your enlightening words of wisdom.  :rolleyes:.

I get the feeling you take either yourself or life in general a bit too seriously. Lighten up, and try not to be so sarcastic whenever you open your mouth, so to speak.

Hmmm... I got the feeling the trainer was trying to keep the nonsense out of the training forum.  <Shrug>
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2013, 09:27:34 PM »
It's not unusual to see creative terminology here. We talk about inside and outside loops, we could say tank-ace is doing an outside barrel roll but neg G barrel roll works as well.

I generally lead turn on a merge and that usually defeats the head on shot.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2013, 10:16:16 PM »
Hmmm... I got the feeling the trainer was trying to keep the nonsense out of the training forum.  <Shrug>

Then he could do that, and just that. Tell me that it inverted doesn't make sense in that context, and what a better term would be. But this....
Oh I get it a displaced inverted barrel roll sound like some fancy ACM.

salute

Is unnecessary, and obviously meant to be a tad insulting.

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2013, 12:35:49 AM »

I think everyone missed the "HIGH" part, which may better explain how this ACM term was invented.

Then he could do that, and just that. Tell me that it inverted doesn't make sense in that context, and what a better term would be. But this....
Is unnecessary, and obviously meant to be a tad insulting.

I don't think he was trying to insult you.  I think he was correctly pointing out that something on the training forum (your post) was a completely made-up and meaningless ACM term. You found that insulting because you posted it. 

Look at it from his perspective:  Morf has to work with new players who come into the Training Arena asking him questions like "Can you show me how to do a high displaced inverted barrel roll?" At that point he has to figure out what the heck they are talking about and try to get them straightened out, all because somebody made up an ACM term that doesn't exist and posted it on the Training Forum.

That said, it has been pointed out that a barrel roll can help avoid a HO.  You were correct in that much.

<S>
Ryno
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2013, 03:23:30 PM »
I did a barrel roll (or canopy roll, both would appear to be accurate descriptions of the basic maneuver performed), and there was a large amount of displacement.

After a quick look around, there is no specific name for such a maneuver in which the original heading is maintained. Thus the term "high displacement barrel roll" would be accurate if positive g's were being pulled.

Now, the definition of inverted is "put upside down or in the opposite position, order, or arrangement.". And what I did was the mirror image of a high displacement barrel roll, only with negative g's. Thus the term "inverted" is, if not perfectly fitting, then at least quite close.

There was no ACM pre-established ACM term to describe what I was trying to describe. That is a fact. And because I said "inverted" instead of "negative-g", Feind got upset.

The implication was that I was trying to sound more knowledgeable than I am, and that I was intentionally just making up terms willy nilly. That is unnecessary, and frankly not becoming of a trainer.