Author Topic: Early Man  (Read 5904 times)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: Early Man
« Reply #375 on: November 22, 2013, 01:31:27 PM »
Advanced animals like most mammalian life are not purely instinct driven, but intelligent, feeling beings. Some are highly intelligent, approaching human levels. In India dolphins have recently been given certain rights of freedom as "non-human persons", which means that killing them or holding them captive is now illegal. A buffalo is not that intelligent, but far from just instinct-driven. Herd animals have social structures and codes of conduct, and these can vary from different herds of the same species.
if you say so...just because humans want to impart human mental processes to animals doesn't make it a fact that the animals have human mental processes. it was proven years ago that humans possess the ability to consciously over ride their basic fight or fligh instincts whereas animals do not. that doesn't mean that dolphins, porpoises and whales don't have similar capacities for conscious thought and behavior, but the buffalo doesn't possess the same intellect.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #376 on: November 22, 2013, 01:43:24 PM »
But it isn't purely instinct-driven. It thinks and feels.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #377 on: November 22, 2013, 01:45:51 PM »
I live where there has been much more trouble with wolves than has been recorded in Norway. Believe me, I've heard my share of wolf hatred! People who voluntarily want to build their houses a mile away from the road in the woods say that they don't dare to let their kids walk to the road to be picked by the school taxi because of the wolves... I'd say that's their choice; if they want to live in the middle of the nature, then the nature has to be accepted. Oops, I slipped out of the subject...

Are wolves really a threat for people? I agree they may kill sheep more than they can eat at one time, but if the sheep are alone up on the mountains, who's to blame? During the last 215 years only one person has been recorded to be killed by a wolf in Norway, back in 1800. Her memory still lives... As does the memory of the ones killed in the late 1800's here in Finland and those in Sweden. A couple of things has changed since then, though. People don't send their kids alone up in the mountains herding sheep all by themselves for days anymore, they don't have to walk to school through forests for several miles etc. No wolf has ever attacked a schoolbus...

Source: http://wolfology1.tripod.com/id215.htm
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #378 on: November 22, 2013, 01:51:40 PM »
I don't want wolves gone because they're a threat. They're not. I want them gone because they compete with hunters (me) for prey animals, and their cut comes out of our yearly allotted kills. The second reason is that they are a pest for farmers. Same with seals really; they're a pest for the fish farmers, attacking their nets and releasing farmed fish into the wild. They also compete against the fishing industry for wild fish. There's a bounty on them here in Norway in several counties.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #379 on: November 22, 2013, 02:05:18 PM »
That sounds like the stories of the refugees and immigrants: They take our jobs and women.

Will you suffer if you get less prey due to wolves? Will your kids be hungry because of that? How much food could you buy with the money you've used and are using to your guns, ammunition, hunting licenses, travel costs to your hunting ground etc.? If you want easy pray, make a deal with a local farmer and shoot a cow! Sorry, but that's how I feel.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #380 on: November 22, 2013, 02:10:40 PM »
I can buy meat in the shops much cheaper and with much less effort than hunting. It is also completely irrelevant. It has nothing to do with what I need. It's what I want.

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #381 on: November 22, 2013, 03:02:46 PM »
Wolves go after the weak, old and young where they are less likely to get hurt.

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #382 on: November 22, 2013, 03:15:22 PM »
Page 26. Have you guys figured it out yet?

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #383 on: November 22, 2013, 03:21:39 PM »
Page 26. Have you guys figured it out yet?

No.  They'll reach an impasse when they try to figure out the Big Bang.  :P 
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #384 on: November 22, 2013, 03:26:03 PM »
No.  They'll reach an impasse when they try to figure out the Big Bang.  :P 

It's not like anyone is going to change their point of view, so what is the point of all this?

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #385 on: November 22, 2013, 03:29:05 PM »
It's not like anyone is going to change their point of view, so what is the point of all this?

How am I supposed to know?  I was just trying to help you derail the thread.

Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline SlidingHorn

• Zinc Member
« Reply #386 on: November 22, 2013, 03:36:42 PM »
How am I supposed to know?  I was just trying to help you derail the thread.

Why?  It's reached over 25 pages, so obviously people are interested in the topic. 

Should we just prune the boards of all topics that aren't particularly adherent to your personal interests?  :huh
Flying As: MusicMan
Professional Lawn Dart / Resident Practice Drone

My beard can beat up your beard.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #387 on: November 22, 2013, 04:17:31 PM »

The point is, the OP desperately wanted to express and evangelicize in a forum that does not allow religious discussions so he labeled the post as "Early Man".  This is not a scientific discussion at all.  It is just a way for the OP to feed his religious needs.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #388 on: November 22, 2013, 04:21:59 PM »
I can buy meat in the shops much cheaper and with much less effort than hunting. It is also completely irrelevant. It has nothing to do with what I need. It's what I want.
What if your neighbour wants the absolute opposite than you want? If what he wants is equally legal as what you want, would you still rather see him dead? Like, if the neighbour's son wanted to marry your daughter, but you wouldn't want him to be your son-in-law? Bang? Should the ditch bordering your piece of land and the neighbours be on your side or his? That was the reason why my mother's foster father shot his neighbour. He wanted the ditch to be on the other side...

I'd want to keep all of the money my customers pay me, but somehow the majority of it goes elsewhere. The taxman wants one quarter for VAT and income tax, the insurance companies want a fifth or so, the traffic bureau wants some, so does the telephone company, the car repair shop, the advertising medias etc. Don't they understand that I don't want to pay them three quarters of my turnover?

The primitive farmers needed to protect their sheep in order to get wool and meat. There's also a reason why certain herding dogs needed to be big and strong. Fences are for keeping the cattle gathered, not for protection. A fenced flock of sheep far away is equal to a bird feeder. The Early Man knew that.

Kotisivuni

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #389 on: November 22, 2013, 04:24:15 PM »
Why?  It's reached over 25 pages, so obviously people are interested in the topic. 

Should we just prune the boards of all topics that aren't particularly adherent to your personal interests?  :huh

It was a joke.  I don't really care if you guys want to debate evolution vs. creationism.  If the man with the hammer says it's ok, who am I to judge?

-AoM-