Author Topic: Do WIN 7 or 8 upgrade current OS or replace?  (Read 1500 times)

Offline ELD66

• Silver Member
Re: Do WIN 7 or 8 upgrade current OS or replace?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 12:15:57 AM »
Yes some benchmarks have proven win 8 are lighter on the extra's. However if you don't have any issues, and you just think your going to get better performance with Win 8 you would be wrong.

I get better performance with Win XP then win 8. Windows always adds more features, which most PC's cant even use.
E1Diablo in game

Member of JG11 Sonderstaffel

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2013, 12:22:39 AM »
Yes some benchmarks have proven win 8 are lighter on the extra's. However if you don't have any issues, and you just think your going to get better performance with Win 8 you would be wrong.

I get better performance with Win XP then win 8. Windows always adds more features, which most PC's cant even use.
Well, you have that buttkicker puter whats in your sig, yet youre using XP?
AoM
City of ice

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 04:44:21 AM »

On some newer titles such as Battlefield 4 using Win8 can have significant advantages. With Win7 you have to use 'core unpark' patches etc. to get it smooth since it can't properly use multiple cores on it.

In BF4s case Win7 stutters on the same hardware and Win8 does not. Pretty significant to me.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 04:51:26 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 04:49:44 AM »
XP cannot run anything newer than directx 9c. If youre running games using dx10, 10.1, 11, 11.1 codes, you definiately want a win7 or win8. An 11 years old OS is certainly out of date.

Following that logic, the highest performance OS would be the DOS, with its small size direct access to the hardware.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 04:56:15 AM by Debrody »
AoM
City of ice

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2013, 02:35:04 PM »
Benchmarks have shown Win8 to outperform Win7. 'Requirements' do not count.

Sure and plenty of personal experiences show that it doesnt. I'd go with 7, tho its true ideally 8.1 does bench mark better.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2013, 05:29:16 PM »
put win8 on an old dual core amd athlon system with only 2gb of ram and see how well it outperforms anything...

Given that Win8 is aimed for both desktops and tablets your comment is pretty peculiar :D
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2013, 05:48:13 PM »
Given that Win8 is aimed for both desktops and tablets your comment is pretty peculiar :D

wow they can fit win8 in a tablet?  why does it take so much more disc space in a desktop?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2013, 02:44:31 AM »
wow they can fit win8 in a tablet?  why does it take so much more disc space in a desktop?

semp

Perhaps because Win8 can manage its hardware requirements according to the detected environment. Also Win8 requires the same or less disk space compared to Win7.

You guys need to get your facts straight before spewing the alarmist fud. http://superuser.com/questions/463183/windows-8-disk-space-usage-vs-windows-7

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2013, 04:34:10 AM »
Not Windows 8. Not ever! Read Dvorak on the Kill Switch feature:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2400985,00.asp
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2013, 06:07:02 AM »
Out of the box benchmarks are one thing.  The truth is, it does not take a lot of effort to make Windows 7 much, much faster than Windows 8.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2013, 07:01:38 AM »
Out of the box benchmarks are one thing.  The truth is, it does not take a lot of effort to make Windows 7 much, much faster than Windows 8.

The only problem is that you keep flashing this over and over but refuse to tell which are the magical and easy steps to make Windows7 boot to desktop in 9 seconds without using SSDs. I'm sure many of us would be delighted to hear.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2013, 07:04:31 AM »
Not Windows 8. Not ever! Read Dvorak on the Kill Switch feature:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2400985,00.asp

LOL so you don't understand the way the app store works and the requirements it places for the EULA. Fine. Just as in Apples app store they have the possibility to remove malicious applications after the release date if the app contains a hidden malware or the author updates it in a malicious way.

What exactly is the 'scary' scenario for you with the 'kill switch' and what do you think MS would gain from erasing your pr0n? :D You can always dual boot to linux if MS scares you.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2013, 12:12:18 PM »
Perhaps because Win8 can manage its hardware requirements according to the detected environment. Also Win8 requires the same or less disk space compared to Win7.

You guys need to get your facts straight before spewing the alarmist fud. http://superuser.com/questions/463183/windows-8-disk-space-usage-vs-windows-7

no what I asked is how they can fit windows 8 in a tablet.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2013, 01:12:31 PM »
The only problem is that you keep flashing this over and over but refuse to tell which are the magical and easy steps to make Windows7 boot to desktop in 9 seconds without using SSDs. I'm sure many of us would be delighted to hear.

I do not want the responsibility, for the potential nightmares people could create if they made one error in what I would say to do.  Every Windows computer is different and has a different set of requirements.  What works for me may work for most people, but if one person got burned by a recommendation I made, then I would incur that liability.  I chose not to have to deal with that.

If I can figure it out, then anyone else can also figure it out.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline 633DH98

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2013, 01:15:56 PM »
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 01:18:08 PM by 633DH98 »
DecoyDuc  2 Nov 2008 - 16 Nov 2008  RIP