Author Topic: mary jane  (Read 5184 times)

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
Re: mary jane
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2013, 06:21:17 PM »
While it does have some serious potential as a money make for the government if they were to put a serious tax on it, studies are coming out finally of the harmful effects.  Not saying that alcohol or tobacco doesnt cause serious side effects with chronic use but the marijuana studies are finally becoming public.  Myself, I have never touched the stuff but critical of those that think that there is nothing wrong with it.  Roommates in college were smokers of it.  The fact that they are seeing similar brain scans to those of schizophrenia is pretty drastic.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/16/health/time-marijuana-brain/
The article, which is a standard piece of sensationalist mainstream 'science' journalism, completely misinterprets almost to the point of lying the content of the study. What the study actually concluded was that "schizophrenia subjects demonstrated cannabis-related neuroanatomical differences that were consistent and exaggerated compared with cannabis-related differences found in controls", and further that "future longitudinal studies could help determine whether cannabis use contributes to these observed shape differences or whether they are biomarkers of a vulnerability to the effects of cannabis that predate its misuse".
Here's a link to the actual study. It's way less exciting than what the author of the article wrote of course, but if she didn't know how to lie through her teeth for readers then she wouldn't have a job.
http://schizophreniabulletin.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2013/12/10/schbul.sbt176.abstract?sid=31a54672-cd55-4409-bba0-1010b40b5221

On the subject of whether marijuana use actually puts you at risk for scizophrenia, here's a recent study from Harvard Medical School;
http://www.schres-journal.com/article/S0920-9964%2813%2900610-5/abstract
"The results of the current study suggest that having an increased familial morbid risk for schizophrenia may be the underlying basis for schizophrenia in cannabis users and not cannabis use by itself."

The lesson here is that any science journalism from a mainstream news outlet is trash with almost no exception.

Beside that,
"smoking every day for about three years"
Ignoring that this is a fairly unreasonable amount of marijuana to be smoking, do you know what medical condition affects those who, say, drink every day for three years?
Death.

Offline Hoarach

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2013, 06:35:34 PM »
Not saying CNN is a valid place to better oneself in science by no means.  I continually have to use google scholar as a student to find science articles so trust me there is no argument there.  Just dont think many here would want to read a 10 page science article when CNN is more reader friendly.  The hope would be if someone was actually concerned by this they would go to google scholar and search the effect or marijuana and schizophrenia and do their own research.  Point was just to make it known to those.  If someone was to do their own searching they would see more than 100 published science articles.

By the way you need to rephrase drinking everyday to chronic drinking everyday.  Drinking 1-2 beers everyday is actually good for you just like drinking a glass of red wine. 
Fringe
Nose Art
80th FS "Headhunters"

Secret Association of P38 Pilots

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2013, 07:16:41 PM »
Yeah, I must actually be dead.

Now there's a sensational bit of news.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2013, 07:16:46 PM »
To truly realize the futility of the drug war, most of all regarding pvt use of cannabis, you have to be involved in it. Gawd what a bad joke.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2013, 09:18:41 PM »
It is still illegal at the Federal level.  While the current Feds might not be choosing to enforce the law (which is illegal in and of itself... imagine that), all it will take is a change in who the Attorney General is and that could change rapidly.  If you don't think the Feds aren't keeping an eye on all these dispensaries that are popping up for recreational sales, then you are a fool.  One change in the way people think and its enforcement, seizure, and forfeiture of a lot of property.

There is very little likelihood that the Feds will legalize Marijuana anytime in the near future.  The profitability to them is just not there.  On the other hand, profitability in seizure and forfeiture of property used in the drug trade looks to reap massive profits.

I recall hearing several Sheriffs in CO were saying they would both try to help legislate county laws and facilitate municipal laws that would give them authority to charge for recreational use and possession, and thus override any state law. Iirc they also said they would do their best to make arrests and turn over to Feds. I know first hand how the Vail Police Dept see it, and one of those Sheriffs was Eagle County (Vail & Beaver Creek.) Another was Summit County, which includes Winterpark, Keystone, Breckenridge, Arapahoe Basin, Loveland Pass and Copper Mtn. It wouldn't surprise me if there are many other counties in CO that would try the same. If you spend enough time there, you'll find out what flies in Denver is often laughed at by the rest of the state. Might want to look into that if you plan on toking on the lift.  

« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 12:05:02 AM by RotBaron »
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2013, 09:43:30 PM »
It's amazing that people used to think like that.

you mean they dont think like that now?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2013, 09:58:38 PM »
you mean they dont think like that now?

semp

In Britain I can safely say no to that question. We are probably the most culturally and racially diverse nation on the planet with the most tolerance for each other. We are failing in many things in today's world but in one way we are paving the path to a future of global unity between all races. America is not far behind either, although more of you guys seem to still dislike Muslims, though that is for quite obvious reasons that have been forced down your throat by the powers that be.

Working towards a global racial unity is the only chance we have of getting off this planet and spreading the infection out into the cosmos.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2013, 11:39:06 PM »
I recall hearing several Sheriffs in CO were saying they would both try to help legislate county laws and facilitate municipal laws that would give them authority to charge for recreational use and possession, and thus override any state law. Iirc they also said they would do there best to make arrests and turn over to Feds. I know first hand how the Vail Police Dept see it, and one of those Sheriffs was Eagle County (Vail & Beaver Creek.) Another was Summit County, which includes Winterpark, Keystone, Breckenridge, Arapahoe Basin, Loveland Pass and Copper Mtn. It wouldn't surprise me if there are many other counties in CO that would try the same. If you spend enough time there, you'll find out what flies in Denver is often laughed at by the rest of the state. Might want to look into that if you plan on toking on the lift.
While they are going to be enforcing public use on the slopes (it's still illegal to smoke in public), Summit Co was pretty user friendly last time I was up there. They just want to keep the ski areas family friendly.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2013, 12:06:48 AM »

In Britain I can safely say no to that question. We are probably the most culturally and racially diverse nation on the planet with the most tolerance for each other. We are failing in many things in today's world but in one way we are paving the path to a future of global unity between all races. America is not far behind either, although more of you guys seem to still dislike Muslims, though that is for quite obvious reasons that have been forced down your throat by the powers that be.

Working towards a global racial unity is the only chance we have of getting off this planet and spreading the infection out into the cosmos.

Oh my   :confused: 
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2013, 04:36:30 AM »
I dont smoke :old:

The only reason its illegal is that it cannot be taxed :)

if they invented a beer tree it would be illegal :)
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2013, 05:08:24 AM »
It is still illegal at the Federal level. 

Imagine the amount of convictions that are going to be happening for law abiding citizens who forgot a 'intent to distribute' amount of weed in their pocket while visiting a nearby state.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2013, 05:11:44 AM »

Hmm judging from the documentaries and media I've seen your country has turned from a stiff upper lip aristocracy to a full blown jungle with huge crime problems and people scared for their lives at their homes. What are all those news reports about 'ethnic gangs' looting and pillaging your suburbs about? http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/446362/Shocking-CCTV-shows-girl-attacked-by-bus-mob
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 05:13:36 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2013, 05:51:07 AM »
We are failing in many things in today's world but in one way we are paving the path to a future of global unity between all races. America is not far behind either, although more of you guys seem to still dislike Muslims, though that is for quite obvious reasons that have been forced down your throat by the powers that be.

:headscratch:
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2013, 06:41:58 AM »
Keep in mind the tobacco companies goal was addiction to increase sales  They were super successful.  Who thinks our pot growers will not do the the same thing?

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2013, 08:19:42 AM »
it reminds of that guy that is doing several years in a federal pen for selling and distribution.  he had a state permit, local permit to sell, but the feds still charged him with a crime.  he wasnt allowed to bring into evidence that the state legally allowed him to sale as it was banned under the federal statues.

semp

That's the whole point.  Until the Feds legalize it, it is a gamble.  If the Feds find more money in confiscation than they do in taxation, you will see the confiscation.  It's all about the money and a large percentage of the overall population that does not want to see it legalized on a national scale.

Always remember that for the most part, Fed Law trumps State.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.