Author Topic: Aerial Combat  (Read 5662 times)

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
Re: Aerial Combat
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2014, 11:41:14 PM »
A random, unexpected 1 v 1 or 2 v 1 that gets my heart pounding.

And yes, I'll be good in this thread and take it seriously.  Jeez...

Ink ate the last of the cookies, sorry.

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2014, 11:41:55 PM »
How easy is it to fight a Spit, F6F-5 or numerous others in a 190A-8 or a 110G-2?  How about a slow turn fight with a Zeke or a Brewster in a Spit?  The examples are too numerous to mention.

Even against an inexperienced pilot it's not easy but it makes it more fun for me and more fun for them.

Agreed.  I've found fighting in the 110G this month much more fun when coming across a Spit or other superior single-engine fighter.  I don't always win, but its always fun.

Best fight I had this month I lost to Tongs in his Ki61.  The fact I held my own for a turn or two was a victory to me.  Sadly, Tongs got picked before he could kill me....which I immediately apologized to him for when I figured out who had been in the Ki.   :frown:
Going by "Hoplite" now. :)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2014, 11:43:34 PM »
Ink ate the last of the cookies, sorry.

:bhead

this again.....what the fu#$....... nobody told me they were spoken for...... :old: :old: :old:

Offline Vortex

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2014, 12:33:02 AM »
My "success" measure is fairly broad. If I can find a good fight/furball in fairly short order, and can have some fun in it for a while (multiple flights), then I consider it a success and a good night.

Unfortunately on these massive maps built for player volumes over 10 times what we typically have online, the above is the exception rather than the rule.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 12:39:41 AM by Vortex »
--)-Vortex----
The Musketeers, circa 1990

AH In-Game Handle: Vort

Offline hlbly

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2014, 02:36:18 AM »
When my hands are shaking and I am a lil breathless after a closely matched 1v1. Where the advantage slips back and forth several times ....Oh Yeah !!!!

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2014, 04:51:07 AM »
For those of you that play the game, how do each of you define success, personally, while flying aircraft in AH?  Kills? Beating your best kill streak?  Hitting your exact targets while on a bomb run?  A revenge kill?  A random, unexpected 1 v 1 that got your heart pounding?   Running into superior numbers and making it back?  Beating someone that your usually don't beat?  A successfully planned and executed mission?  Being the air component in a base take?

Not worrying about none of it and just having fun
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2014, 05:56:53 AM »
Not worrying about none of it and just having fun

:aok

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2014, 07:20:21 AM »
I define success as having fun, no matter what :aok
And no disco.

:cheers: Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2014, 07:20:25 AM »
When my hands are shaking and I am a lil breathless after a closely matched 1v1. Where the advantage slips back and forth several times ....Oh Yeah !!!!

to me its about the fight not whether i win or lose. its about not ho'ing the guy coming at me, but rather fighting it out and not shooting til you get beyond his 3-9 position. anyone can ho. but can you kill from behind the 3-9 position? thats the challenge! a good fight to me is about getting behind the other guy. thats the fun part, especially if he's good or has a superior plane.

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2014, 09:24:20 AM »
Success is for me is knowing that I flew the plane to the limits of the circumstances and my ability.  Win or lose, I've never been upset if I know that's the case.
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2014, 09:37:54 AM »
Success is two-fold:

If the red guys stand and fight, then kill them where they stand.  If they retreat, then take their land.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2014, 09:50:32 AM »
AcesHigh success for me is reaching a position of mutual enjoyment of the game between myself and the enemy no matter the outcome of any given engagement. When a group of players can collectively base their enjoyment on the interactions, rather than the outcome, everybody is winning.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2014, 10:12:46 AM »
A theme is emerging with regard to defining success....fun.  It's a game obviously so "fun" is the objective.  To change the OP just a bit...how could it be MORE "fun" than it is now?  I know that's a very subjective question but I'd like to try to do my part to make it more fun for the people I encounter in the game.  If it's more "fun" then more people I encounter will feel successful is what I'm getting at, including me.  What would be the fun at the top of your list?  Can the player base make it more "fun" without infringing on others defined "fun"?  I guess that might be impossible or a game culture issue..

There are lots of folks that I see doing this in game and none seem to have more fun than these guys even if it requires them to have lots of beer (Dodger, Lazer, lol).  
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 10:15:54 AM by Changeup »
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2014, 11:32:19 AM »
A theme is emerging with regard to defining success....fun.  It's a game obviously so "fun" is the objective.  To change the OP just a bit...how could it be MORE "fun" than it is now?  I know that's a very subjective question but I'd like to try to do my part to make it more fun for the people I encounter in the game.  If it's more "fun" then more people I encounter will feel successful is what I'm getting at, including me.  What would be the fun at the top of your list?  Can the player base make it more "fun" without infringing on others defined "fun"?  I guess that might be impossible or a game culture issue..

There are lots of folks that I see doing this in game and none seem to have more fun than these guys even if it requires them to have lots of beer (Dodger, Lazer, lol).  

For myself, I'd like to see more people defending base take attempts alongside me.  Unfortunately defense in this game generally consists of trying to stem the horde against vastly superior numbers.  Coupled with that, I'd like to see strategies for base takes consist of more than 'bring everybody and hope an equivalent size force doesn't show up'.

For me, the game is at its best when two large forces clash and are slightly organized.  What happens all too often is if a credible defense is mounted, the attackers simply move elsewhere.  I wish that wouldn't happen.

Unfortunately, these wishes depend on other players cooperating and playing the way I want them to.  It will never happen, but it's what I'd like to see.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Rogue9Volt

• Nickel Member
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2014, 11:38:49 AM »
For myself, I'd like to see more people defending base take attempts alongside me.  Unfortunately defense in this game generally consists of trying to stem the horde against vastly superior numbers.  Coupled with that, I'd like to see strategies for base takes consist of more than 'bring everybody and hope an equivalent size force doesn't show up'.

For me, the game is at its best when two large forces clash and are slightly organized.  What happens all too often is if a credible defense is mounted, the attackers simply move elsewhere.  I wish that wouldn't happen.

Unfortunately, these wishes depend on other players cooperating and playing the way I want them to.  It will never happen, but it's what I'd like to see.

Wiley.

Sounds like much smaller maps might be a good thing in that regard...
InGame:  SW9volt

-Born To Lose, Live To Win-
Recruiting Officer,125th Spartan Warriors.