Author Topic: The GV Game  (Read 2892 times)

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
The GV Game
« on: April 29, 2014, 11:55:47 AM »
I have never really been that interested in the GV side of the game, and have probably racked up about 100 sorties in 8 years, mostly doing supply runs and dropping troops.

Anyhow, today I decided I should really give it a go.

Got 5 or 6 kills, had one decent fight with another fast moving tank and then on three separate fields I was killed so repeatedly by spawn campers that I ended up just giving it up as a bad job.

Seriously, getting hit from 3 sides instantaneously I spawned, either in the hangar or at the spawn point, is this really the GV game? Drive to a position, get yourself hull down, range the spawn and simply sit there????

Honestly, the GV fraternity piss and moan until they are blue in the face about getting bombed from the air because it ruins a good gv fight, I am at a loss to see the attraction.

What am I doing wrong or is this really all it is about? :headscratch:
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
Re: The GV Game
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 12:08:01 PM »
The game is fugged just like real-life..  just have to rise above it all... no way to completely tune it so no such issues ever arise..  :bhead
Don't let others drag you down with their own hatred and fear

Offline BluBerry

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 12:11:29 PM »
If you don't have shaky hands, cataract covered eyes and are below the age of 50 then GVing may not be for you.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 12:13:38 PM »
Got 5 or 6 kills, had one decent fight with another fast moving tank and then on three separate fields I was killed so repeatedly by spawn campers that I ended up just giving it up as a bad job.

A dedicated tanker taking up a plane for one of his first sorties could easily have a very similar experience:

"Today I decided to give flying fighters a go. One decent dogfight, then being  vulched on three separate fields, dying in puffy ack once and then finding myself in a green horde competing with a dozen 'friendlies' for a single kill. What am I doing wrong or is this really all it is about?"

;)

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 12:47:11 PM »
"Today I decided to give flying fighters a go. One decent dogfight, then being  vulched on three separate fields, dying in puffy ack once and then finding myself in a green horde competing with a dozen 'friendlies' for a single kill. What am I doing wrong or is this really all it is about?"

This is all that needs to be said. Thread over!
JG 52

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 01:08:09 PM »
Danny, Try the tank war on Thursday nights at 9pm EDT in AvA!  We have a different kind of game . We do Not spawn camp or bomb the GVs.
WE have a great time for all to have on great terrains and with a group that loves the GV aspect. We try to make it fun on both sides. Give us a try and come in !!
Ingame : Shipper

Never put your gun down to hug a grizzly.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 01:17:37 PM »
We need land mines and panzerfaust :old:

Gv's were good when you coud drive for someone :old:

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 01:25:04 PM »
Engaging in the ground war is beneath me.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 01:25:58 PM »
I've always found the gv gameplay to be extremely poor, especially when you consider the lack of landscape, and bushes flipping 60t tanks.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 01:27:04 PM »

A dedicated tanker taking up a plane for one of his first sorties could easily have a very similar experience:

;)

Umm... no. You always have the option to up from an adjacent field where in a GV your options are limited. You can't spawn at a non camped field because it would take the whole day to drive from a field to another.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Jed

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 01:37:31 PM »
Don't get the thrill in sitting at a spawn killing people before they can even look around? Simply pressing the fire button at a defense less target. Unless it is strategic for a base take. There fore I don't partake, and fly above.....
If the system was somehow different I would tank more.
Spawning in a certain distance from enemy tanks every time?

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 01:48:27 PM »
Thats typical tank combat, but its not a tank "fight".

If you can find a good spawn battle where neither side has been able to get a serious advantage over the other, THATS the ultimate in GV combat.

Spawn up, the enemy encroaching on the spawn. You fire, he dies. Move up to cover, hoping you've not been outflanked. Enemy T-34 to your right, you swing your turret and turn your tank, trying to get guns on him before he gets his gun on you, and pray he misses first. He misses, but you miss, did he fire enough before you that he'll reload before you do? No! you fire and hit, he blows up, his turret blasted skyward! CLANG!!! A ricochet off your turret, but where did it come from? There, M18 to your 10 o'clock, he's got you this time! A shell streaks out from the trees and punches through his hull, a friendly saved you.

A good spawn battle is almost frantic.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 02:05:06 PM »
Umm... no. You always have the option to up from an adjacent field where in a GV your options are limited. You can't spawn at a non camped field because it would take the whole day to drive from a field to another.

Seems the point went miles over your head  :aok

By the way... indeed you can often up a GV from a different base without driving "for a day"... same as you can't "always" up your plane from an adjacent base. If you are going to nitpick, better have your facts straight  ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 02:06:46 PM »
listen i'm no great gv'er.. I mostly just like to fly around with buddies and try to not get shot down really.. but if we could avoid such gameplay in the future by modifying.. that would keep me here..
Don't let others drag you down with their own hatred and fear

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2014, 02:11:37 PM »
I've always found the gv gameplay to be extremely poor, especially when you consider the lack of landscape, and bushes flipping 60t tanks.

Yeah but a lot of players like it so I guess it adds to the game dynamic. Im thinking this new terrain engine will energize the GV game which should energize the game period. Hopefully there will be more and better terrain for maneuver instead of the camp and shoot style game we have now.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"