Author Topic: The GV Game  (Read 2890 times)

Offline 715

• Silver Member
Re: The GV Game
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2014, 02:15:08 PM »
Spawn camping is annoying but it is kind of inevitable.  To have a GV fight you must go where the GVs are.  Eventually you will arrive at where they spawn (either spawn point or the hanger).  You may not want to engage in spawn camping, but you have to because that's where the tanks are.  Some terrains, especially those that provide several different spawn points into each area are better as you can spawn further back and drive to the fight.  However, for terrains with single spawn points to each area, camping becomes inevitable because of the unrealistic sudden appearance of targets at a known spot.

I prefer to pick a location between an enemy spawn and some desired destination (like the town or the field) and set up an ambush point.  This has limited efficacy in AH because, unlike the real world, the simplicity of the terrain means tanks can go anywhere they want and traveling on a road affords no advantage.  There are very few cases in AH terrains of true choke points.*  So play often devolves to the simplest case of guaranteed combat: sit at the spawn where enemy magically appear.

*the new terrain engine will apparently have four times the grid spatial resolution of the current one meaning more complex terrains.  This might lead to more realistic choke points and better GV play.

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2014, 02:26:17 PM »
the new modified terrain engine will help, and in my heart of hearts I believe the arenas of years passed will improve for the future..  (but the present is now.. and i'm counting change until I can resusbscribe..  :D)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 02:29:00 PM by craz07 »
Don't let others drag you down with their own hatred and fear

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2014, 02:55:40 PM »
The game is fugged just like real-life.. 

No it's not, thank you.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2014, 03:33:27 PM »
Thats typical tank combat, but its not a tank "fight".

If you can find a good spawn battle where neither side has been able to get a serious advantage over the other, THATS the ultimate in GV combat.

Spawn up, the enemy encroaching on the spawn. You fire, he dies. Move up to cover, hoping you've not been outflanked. Enemy T-34 to your right, you swing your turret and turn your tank, trying to get guns on him before he gets his gun on you, and pray he misses first. He misses, but you miss, did he fire enough before you that he'll reload before you do? No! you fire and hit, he blows up, his turret blasted skyward! CLANG!!! A ricochet off your turret, but where did it come from? There, M18 to your 10 o'clock, he's got you this time! A shell streaks out from the trees and punches through his hull, a friendly saved you.

A good spawn battle is almost frantic.
Good gv battles are almost as sweet as an awesome air battle :banana:
We need land mines and panzerfaust :old:

Gv's were good when you coud drive for someone :old:

Ill drive for you :old:
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 03:49:03 PM »
if you know whats good for ya.. just follow hitech's path.. should be pin straight standing in-line saluting the whirlwind that is hitech creations..   :pray lol
Don't let others drag you down with their own hatred and fear

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2014, 04:01:07 PM »
this is why i fly 50% gv 50%
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2014, 04:21:44 PM »
This is all that needs to be said. Thread over!

Not really because you have a choice, you do not need to follow a gang going afterone single red plane, I dont I find it silly.  :bolt:
Tour 70 2005 to present

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2014, 04:27:00 PM »
A good GV fight is a lot of fun for me.  On Greebos map, I hardly up a plane.  You are guaranteed to be shooting or being shot at within a few seconds if you choose, and there is plenty of strategy sneaking around to kill campers or avoid the guys closing in on your camp site.  As for eyesight, killing guys at 3.7K is far more taxing on my eyes than any part of the flying game.
AMAX  in game

Offline Golden Dragon

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2014, 04:28:17 PM »
if you know whats good for ya.. just follow hitech's path.. should be pin straight standing in-line saluting the whirlwind that is hitech creations..   :pray lol

Yawn.  If you  don't like it, then act like a man, and gracefully walk away.  We'll see you sooner or later when you return to the only decent interactive flight sim on the web. :cheers:
Fight's on!

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2014, 05:45:09 PM »
when GV'n is done right in the game its a lot of fun, and what I mean about being done right is by advancing to the field or the town and trying to capture it.  

what's actually wrecking the GV part of the game is the people who just sit and spawncamp sometimes you'll see 10 or 20 or even more just camped around the spawn even if you drop the VH they still sit right there more concerned about not losing their kills then advancing on the field or town.  id rather lay wait for the enemy tank somewhere between the spawn and town or base preferably with a higher vantage point, if he kills me before I kill him then at least he had chance to fight instead of being killed before you even start the engine. nothing pisses a person off more than trying to spawn in and instantly being killed lol

Spawn locations should be random and not visiable on the maps, the way it is now there's just an arrow showing you exactly where it is like x marks the spot.
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline vafiii

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2014, 05:49:44 PM »
The best GV fights for me are the spawn on spawn fights. Little or no driving and instant action. But I do agree the spawn campers are annoying. Especially the guys who shoot you from behind. It took me several years to enjoy the ground game and now I enjoy it much more. Hang in there and maybe you'll eventually enjoy it too.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2014, 07:24:40 PM »
We need land mines and panzerfaust :old:

Gv's were good when you coud drive for someone :old:

Mines wouldnt be a bad idea but what I think would really do the game better is have something more in line with a roving spawn point.
GV fights should be about fire and movement in a battle to gain ground toward and objective. Not sit and wait for a target to magically appear before your eyes. Gvs should never spawn to within easy shot range of an opponent.

What I have in mind is say you drove out to a spawn. The distance between your field and the spawn area would be essentially yours while anything between you and the enemy base would be uncontested  Enemy spawns in but further back toward his own base only in uncontested land. If you drive past that designated spawn area you now "own" for lack of a better term the area from just ahead of you to your base. No enemy would spawn into your area but back more toward his own base this creating a semblance of enemy and friendly lines. As you move further toward the enemy base your own spawn would grow in length provided no enemy were between you and your own base. In short your rear area would have to be clear for your spawn to move further out.

In this way the fight would be more fluid and geared to moving to or defending one or the other base. The current spawn locations shoudl be maximum spawn distance. In short. No spawns would ever reach the length of being able to spawn right next to an opposing base
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2014, 07:27:15 PM »
Spawn camping is annoying but it is kind of inevitable.  To have a GV fight you must go where the GVs are.  Eventually you will arrive at where they spawn (either spawn point or the hanger).  You may not want to engage in spawn camping, but you have to because that's where the tanks are.  Some terrains, especially those that provide several different spawn points into each area are better as you can spawn further back and drive to the fight.  However, for terrains with single spawn points to each area, camping becomes inevitable because of the unrealistic sudden appearance of targets at a known spot.

I prefer to pick a location between an enemy spawn and some desired destination (like the town or the field) and set up an ambush point.  This has limited efficacy in AH because, unlike the real world, the simplicity of the terrain means tanks can go anywhere they want and traveling on a road affords no advantage.  There are very few cases in AH terrains of true choke points.*  So play often devolves to the simplest case of guaranteed combat: sit at the spawn where enemy magically appear.

*the new terrain engine will apparently have four times the grid spatial resolution of the current one meaning more complex terrains.  This might lead to more realistic choke points and better GV play.
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2014, 09:42:46 PM »
Spawn camping is annoying but it is kind of inevitable.  

It is not inevitable. That kind of thinking is why gameplay is stuck in the 90s.

There COULD be a more realistic, move and shoot ground war that used the whole map instead of gamey spawn points.
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2014, 10:04:14 PM »
Danny, Try the tank war on Thursday nights at 9pm EDT in AvA!  We have a different kind of game . We do Not spawn camp or bomb the GVs.
WE have a great time for all to have on great terrains and with a group that loves the GV aspect. We try to make it fun on both sides. Give us a try and come in !!

Thursday nights in the AvA are fun :aok  Just good ol tank fights :D

:salute
BigRat
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat