Author Topic: The GV Game  (Read 3205 times)

Offline redcatcherb412

• Nickel Member
Re: The GV Game
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2014, 01:17:17 PM »
is this really the GV game? Drive to a position, get yourself hull down, range the spawn and simply sit there????

As a footslogger in the 60's, I am sure myself and other combat vets on here can assure you that the 'wait in ambush' is an integral and important factor in ground combat. Both for Infantry and Armored units. The trick is to either extract and call in support (or the tards as we affectionately call them), over the horizon Arty which we don't have, or get the heck outta there until you can amass enough force to overwhelm the ambush.  So the simple answer probably is 'Yes', spawn ambush is a valid strategy.
Ground Pounders ...

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2014, 01:32:52 PM »
There is no vestige of skill involved whatsoever, the target is pre-ranged, the crosshairs pre-sighted precisely where the enemy tank appears and you simply squeeze the trigger.

In the open, spawn points are randomized, the exact location where tank spawns is unknown. Only the general area is known.

but aren't there actually only like 3 spots in that general area?

Time for another session in Gastropod Proving Ground!  :old:

And here are the results: TAGMA, spawning 20 times from A61 to V60:

In this particular location, there's no way to find a camping point that has a clear, unobstructed line of fire to every place the enemy can spawn on.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2014, 04:50:52 PM »
As a footslogger in the 60's, I am sure myself and other combat vets on here can assure you that the 'wait in ambush' is an integral and important factor in ground combat. Both for Infantry and Armored units. The trick is to either extract and call in support (or the tards as we affectionately call them), over the horizon Arty which we don't have, or get the heck outta there until you can amass enough force to overwhelm the ambush.  So the simple answer probably is 'Yes', spawn ambush is a valid strategy.

Yes But I am sure t6he enemy didnt magically materialize in front of you as if they were beamed down from the starship Enterprise. You generally had to wait for an enemy to move into an area and you had to be pretty sure as to the path of approach they would take as well
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2014, 05:27:45 PM »
i still play wwii online just for the ground game, I love how you can play as infantry and ill always play a Sapper (combat engineer)  ill locate campers and belly crawl to there position and attach a satchel charge and blow that tank to shreads lol boy do they get pissed now people only stand still long enough to shoot or spot.

I remembered Dale saying quite a while back that he would eventually like to see infantry in this game to which would dam near end the spawn camping.       when they realize someone on the grounds going to sneak up and blow him up they're just not going to sit there.
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2014, 05:31:47 PM »
If the GV game brings in more people to support the game, by all means develop it and make it more realistic I say.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline ARSNishi

• Copper Member
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2014, 05:32:51 PM »
i still play wwii online just for the ground game, I love how you can play as infantry and ill always play a Sapper (combat engineer)  ill locate campers and belly crawl to there position and attach a satchel charge and blow that tank to shreads lol boy do they get pissed now people only stand still long enough to shoot or spot.

I remembered Dale saying quite a while back that he would eventually like to see infantry in this game to which would dam near end the spawn camping.       when they realize someone on the grounds going to sneak up and blow him up they're just not going to sit there.
I think I would rather enjoy being a sniper lying in wait for sappers.... Sounds like fun!  Bring on the infantry!!

Fighter Ace vet lured to the dark side, a.k.a..  -AoM-  Fear the Mighty Mitsubishi Mounted Muppet!

Nishizwa in game, Nish or Nishi will work too

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2014, 05:38:26 PM »
I think I would rather enjoy being a sniper lying in wait for sappers.... Sounds like fun!  Bring on the infantry!!

my second choice on the ground is always a sniper, but if there's a lot of Tanks around then I'll sneak around blow'em up.   playing the sniper role is fun but it's also hard because you're using World War 2 optics nothing like what you see in COD or MW3, BF3 Ect.

edit.....  straffing infantry in a plane is hella fun to lol muhahahaaaaa
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 05:40:21 PM by 68ZooM »

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2014, 05:53:49 PM »

what game is this?
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2014, 06:16:58 PM »
Yes But I am sure t6he enemy didnt magically materialize in front of you as if they were beamed down from the starship Enterprise.

They do in star trek online :)
JG 52

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2014, 06:18:54 PM »
what game is this?

when it first came out in 2000 it was wwii online its now called battleground europe  it's a combination of air and ground you have infantry ,artilery that can be towed or pushed, anti aircraft guns, flak 88's GV's and aircraft.  now the flight model absolutely sucks I'll fly every now and then but yeah it sucks lol I play mostly for the ground game  its Gemany vrs France England America and as time of the war progresses other countries will join the war. I'm pretty sure they have like a free 2 week trial.

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2014, 06:27:53 PM »
when it first came out in 2000 it was wwii online its now called battleground europe  it's a combination of air and ground you have infantry ,artilery that can be towed or pushed, anti aircraft guns, flak 88's GV's and aircraft.  now the flight model absolutely sucks I'll fly every now and then but yeah it sucks lol I play mostly for the ground game  its Gemany vrs France England America and as time of the war progresses other countries will join the war. I'm pretty sure they have like a free 2 week trial.
sounds interesTing might have to check it out thank you sir :salute

"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline redcatcherb412

• Nickel Member
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2014, 06:40:18 PM »
Yes But I am sure t6he enemy didnt magically materialize in front of you as if they were beamed down from the starship Enterprise. You generally had to wait for an enemy to move into an area and you had to be pretty sure as to the path of approach they would take as well
Yep, ambush patrol was exactly that, setting up positions in anticipated areas and traveled trails.  But the tactic of enfilade and defilade played a big part and is used fairly accurately by GVers in this game.  Defilade with Armor hull down on the reverse slope is the best way to position Armor and is used by AH GVers quite effectively.

I don't know if you have any jungle combat time, but maybe other AH 11 Bravos besides me would argue that even with the best laid positions and trip flares etc in a prepared ambush that Charlie seemed to have the ability to just appear in front of you like they did just beam down.  :lol
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 06:42:01 PM by redcatcherb412 »
Ground Pounders ...

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2014, 06:48:10 PM »
And here are the results: TAGMA, spawning 20 times from A61 to V60:

(Image removed from quote.)

In this particular location, there's no way to find a camping point that has a clear, unobstructed line of fire to every place the enemy can spawn on.

:aok  :cheers:
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2014, 01:25:58 AM »
As a footslogger in the 60's, I am sure myself and other combat vets on here can assure you that the 'wait in ambush' is an integral and important factor in ground combat. Both for Infantry and Armored units. The trick is to either extract and call in support (or the tards as we affectionately call them), over the horizon Arty which we don't have, or get the heck outta there until you can amass enough force to overwhelm the ambush.  So the simple answer probably is 'Yes', spawn ambush is a valid strategy.

I served in an armoured regiment in both the regular army and the reserves from 1993 until 3 weeks ago.

I agree that in the real world, ambush is a vital part of armoured operations, as is the use of artillery and air assets in neutralizing enemy forces, that's all well and good.

In game I honestly believe that the nature of spawn camping tactics destroy the essence of the fight, in as much as it removes almost 100% of the skill level involved for the camper, not withstanding the skill required to find a good hull down ambush point.

When this is multiplied by a factor of 4 or 5 campers, the opportunity for the spawning vehicle to fight it's way out is almost completely negated.

Lusches chart shows a randomised spawn  pattern, I didn't know this happened but on closer inspection, the spawning occurs over a 2500 ft or 850 yard radius, of the 20 spawn points, no less than 9 fall within the centre 1/3 of that radius, for the guy camping the spawn point this equates to a tank appearing over an area of 300 yards from the previous spawn point half of the time. Hardly a stretch for the entrenched player to be able to locate and hit, especially if there are multiple enemy cons camping.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 02:05:05 AM by danny76 »
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline VuduVee

• Nickel Member
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2014, 01:23:09 PM »
 i wish gvers would be more tactical. for instance, vbase takes. it never fails that the air has to do all the work. which means, killing hangars, killing the guns, killing the vehicles and killing the air that shows up. you fly to the vbase and get in ground vis mode and you see 15 friendly gv's just off the enemy vbase waiting on the air to get there and get everything down. then the 15 gvers roll onto base having done nothing at all.  ive seen one pure gv base take and it was smooth as it gets, so i know it can be done. i would gv a lot more if gvers were more tactical and pointed me to where they need me.