Author Topic: to ho or not to ho  (Read 3555 times)

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
Re: to ho or not to ho
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 03:52:43 PM »
Planes that mimic my attempts to avoid a HO, I'm talking from 1.5 when I dive they dive and when I climb they climb as well. I assume they're lining up for a HO and I shoot first. When I'm outnumbered, or flying a 110/Mossi as well.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 03:56:47 PM »
I always have gone by "both opponents have gun solution on each other"

in which case, it is a stupid attack because basically a gamble.

some people whine to another degree and consider any shot from in front of their 3/9 line a ho.. I disagree.

Indeed!   I agree also,setting up a crossing shot that happens to be from a frontal aspic is not a HO!

This is why I said first we have to define what exactly is a ho, which I refer to as the JW merge and as you said is a huge gamble I'm not willing to take. That said a whiley vet can use the ho to get an advantage but that's another topic and I dont care to discuss it for the sake of my sanity!

:salute

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2014, 03:58:06 PM »
Many consider the front qtr shot to not be a HO. What about the fact that the one that got HO'd could have HO'd and the front qtr shot was the result of the HO'd trying to maneuver out of the HO. That is almost always when it happens to me. I consider that a HO because I could have kept nose on and and gone HO but chose not to and manuevered.

I guess I see it different than many because I've been told so... :rolleyes:

A true cartoon pilot front qtr legitimate shot imo is if I could not have maneuvered enough to get guns on.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 04:00:11 PM by RotBaron »
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2014, 04:02:44 PM »
Many consider the front qtr shot to not be a HO. What about the fact that the one that got HO'd could have HO'd and the front qtr shot was the result of the HO'd trying to maneuver out of the HO. That is almost always when it happens to me. I consider that a HO because I could have kept nose on and and gone HO but chose not to and manuevered.

I guess I see it different than many because I've been told so... :rolleyes:

A true cartoon pilot front qtr legitimate shot imo is if I could not have maneuvered enough to get guns on.

Or if you were moving away and gave it up. 
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2014, 04:03:52 PM »
We are all responsible for staying out of the gunsights of our enemies.  Failure to do so is our failure regardless of the direction our plane is facing.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2014, 04:19:12 PM »
We are all responsible for staying out of the gunsights of our enemies.  Failure to do so is our failure regardless of the direction our plane is facing.

Well said!
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2014, 04:20:35 PM »
the people who usually try to get others not to HO are the first ones that do it

Not true.  

People who COMPLAIN about being HO'd are often the ones doing it themselves (and why they are getting HO'd back).

The people who ADVOCATE and TEACH other players to avoid HO's are ones that understand it requires MORE SKILL to fly and get kills WITHOUT going for the nose to nose shot at every opportunity.

The fact that this topic comes up every few months, year after year, indicates that these two points are true.  There are (and always will be) players who will fly to take the (easier) HO shot and there are (and always will be) players who prefer to challenge themselves by flying to a shot from behind the 3/9 line.

You get to choose which you want to be.

<S>
Ryno
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 04:22:14 PM by Kingpin »
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2014, 04:21:29 PM »
I don't HO, unless of course you are in a high parked aircraft (Tempest, 262, B29) then I am doing whatever it takes. Why? Because people do it to me whenever I am in them.  :old:

Now the people that really urke are the ones who yell "It was a front quarter blah blah shot"  :rofl In other words, it was me avoiding the HO a little too late and you holding the trigger because you were going to HO whether I moved or not. Don't make an excuse for you HO'ing, if you were going to HO just say that don't try to come up with some lame Trigonometry/Geometry term to explain your suckage.

The HO shot is a 50/50 gamble, and I just so happened to have terrible luck.
Top Gun

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2014, 04:24:18 PM »

Wiley.

Perfect logic, and very nicely worded indeed.

Regards

Badboy
The Damned (est. 1988)
  • AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Air Warrior Trainer - Retired

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2014, 04:43:52 PM »
To me a "HO" is any shot taken on a head on merge. Personally I don't fire if I happen to get in a head on merge. I work to avoid getting into that situation as much as possible. Like posted above, if your not in their guns they cant shoot you. However, it happen, especially when the fight turns in to 3 on 1. I still prefer to NOT pull the trigger in a head on merge. I want to fight my way out and get my kills by working toward a good guns solution.

So its all up to you. After a few beers and every engagement starting with the other guy trying to HO you if my look like a better deal  :devil 

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2014, 04:56:19 PM »
I try not to initiate a HO but if you come in my gun-sights, the trigger will be pulled.  If you feel a higher calling to not fire then thank you for the kill.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2014, 05:00:56 PM »
The HO that you can see is simpler to deal with than the one you can't. You fly differently on the merge if it appears no HO is forth coming. Seems lately a cadre of players has taken to turning off tracers to take advantage of that tendency.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Canspec

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2014, 05:06:40 PM »
I always have gone by "both opponents have gun solution on each other"

in which case, it is a stupid attack because basically a gamble.

some people whine to another degree and consider any shot from in front of their 3/9 line a ho.. I disagree.

This I agree with....no gun solution for one...no ho... :old:

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2014, 05:10:22 PM »
Sometimes it good to get them to shoot. This way you know for a fact you can get the jump advantage during the emmilmen.

Once you get under their nose to the left or right. Roll your ailerons a bit. They will almost always miss.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Schwalbee

• Zinc Member
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2014, 05:19:42 PM »
I am fairly new to aces high, only played a month. This is my first flight sim were planes have icons(whether friendly or enemy) . Been flying Sims for 8 years just never came across aces high and/or never took it as a serious ww2 combat sim option. But the problem of ho'ing only exists in flight games were there r icons. In my month of flying I have had more ho opportunities/ people ho'ing me than it ears of flying Sims without icons. When there are no icons and distance indicators,  ho'ing is a really rare occurance due to many factors such as the other r person not seeing u approach or the added factor of identifying the craft and then little time to shoot. I don't remember the last time I head on'ed  someone in il2 bos/1946 or even Wt simulator battles