Author Topic: You can't take your score with you when you die  (Read 5286 times)

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
Re: You can't take your score with you when you die
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2014, 03:46:57 PM »
I don't play TheDamned's game with regularity, I like to keep my heart on my sleeve.

"Imustrunawayitus" struck, so I offer a cure with words of encouragement, you might learn something.

But I thank you for your 2cents, your back seat moderating is duly noted

Back seat moderating?  Nah...just a question / potential observation. And you are welcome! :)
The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2014, 03:50:49 PM »
Cough*Cough*Boelcke's Dicta*Cough*Cough*Cough...

:old:

George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG
Died December 25th, 1944, Near Liege - Ardennes

Operating with the Arabian Knights - callsign AKRaider

Offline 68Raptor

• Gold Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2014, 03:56:18 PM »
On the other hand...

Some of us play the game and like to add a bit immersion to it and pretend we are WWII pilots. Start ourselves out with an objective for that flight. Some of us may have just read a story about a WWII pilot and want to live in his shoes inside this game. There IS a whole historical side to this game for some of us. That side goes far beyond "the fight", the scores, the whines and trash talking. I think this play only for "the fight" chant has been around since the beginning of the game. I read some posts from early on that referred to that playing style as "Air - Quake". I don't believe many of the Air Quake players stick around for very long. This game does not lend itself to that constant, quick action that a game like Quake does. Try as you might.. they only thing that will happen is frustration.  
Executive Officer
68th Lighting Lancers

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2014, 04:10:26 PM »
Hear ye, hear ye!
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2014, 04:12:08 PM »
Not true at all. Those who live a code of honor in a game are much more likely to follow that same code in life, they don't "game the game", their egos are more than likely much less over the top, and they don't RUN AWAY FROM THEIR PROBLEMS! How you act and believe in real life absolutely, without a doubt, is how you play games. If winning is your only source of self esteem, if running away to save your cartoon life is ok with you, you don't
have a positive self image, and yo don't have the gumption to stick it out and solve life problems. You're most likely the one who will take the easy way out, and not take chances. Argue all you want, but words don't change reality.

Ok...  Do you play any contact sports?  If you play football, you never tackle anybody?  If you play hockey, you never bodycheck people, right?  Because someone who'd do that on the field/rink obviously must do that off the field as well, right?  Either that, or your life must be chock full of assault charges what with the random tackling of people on the street.  That's the only way it can possibly be, right?

It is a game.  The only actual "rules" in this game are what's possible and what's impossible in the game.  Nobody loses anything other than pride getting shot down in this game, so why wouldn't you throw everything you have at the opponents?

It's side vs side combat, not an agreed upon duel.  That's what the arena is set up for, that is how people should play.

I limit myself by rarely taking the HO because it's stupid to fly into the other guy's guns, and I avoid green hordes unless there's a similarly sized opposing horde we're flying towards.  That's my 'code', that I don't intentionally try to put myself on the high numbers side of a gangbang, even though I occasionally wind up there.

Beyond that, I am going to use everything I have at my disposal to kill as many red guys as I can, and I expect them to be doing the same.  Anytime I don't jump in on a 1v1 or ask first it's because I choose to, not because it's the 'honorable' thing to do.  It's not my fault a loner dove into a sea of red and got slow under me.  If it's red, it should be dead.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2014, 04:17:22 PM »
Nonono... you're doing it all wrong.  Get the girl back to your house.  Take her to see your flight setup.  Take off into a red horde and kill a bunch of them, then land your 6 or 8 kills.  Then turn to her triumphantly and inform her she may have the privilege of servicing you now.

Yup.  Always works for me.

AH is Manliness after all.  Spend some time reading the BBS, you'll see what I mean.

- oldman

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2014, 04:19:59 PM »
Nonono... you're doing it all wrong.  Get the girl back to your house.  Take her to see your flight setup.  Take off into a red horde and kill a bunch of them, then land your 6 or 8 kills.  Then turn to her triumphantly and inform her she may have the privilege of servicing you now.

That's great advice, but how do I get a girl to my house in the first place?  :headscratch:

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2014, 04:21:28 PM »
Really? Have you done side by side testing of this, comparing people's real life to the game?  :D I'm thinking not.

The problem is that people make up some non-existent rules in their head, above and beyond anything the creator of the game built in, then when other folks who have never explicitly or tacitly agreed to this rule set in anyway don't follow them the would-be dictators of flying style wish to tar them with the brush of "dishonor". Now this thing is very convenient isn't it, being able to define any playing you don't like as "dishonorable"? Let me play that game: "From now on I am going to fly all sorties in the Val. Anyone flying other speedy, heavily-armed uber rides (Like the HurriI  :rofl ) is gaming the game and DISHONORABLE!!! Why? Because I said so!"

It isn't that personal honor isn't important, it is that personal honor is TOO important to be falsely used as a club in association with bull-excrement non-existent "codes" springing from the fevered imaginations of this game's more supercilious players.

Edit:
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,365268.msg4860435.html#msg4860435

They are not non-existent rules, they are also known by other names if it will help you..... Class, as in "That guy has class".... Integrity, as in that guy says what he does, and does what he says..... Honest, see integrity......  Reliability, he'll be there whether its in game or not.

These traits show up in the game easily for those who have them OUTSIDE the game. If your a dork outside the game, that most likely will show up in the game as well.

While this is "just a game" the real person shows through far more often than not. I've meet many players over the years and they have all been pretty much exactly just as they were in the game. Unless your playing as a "persona", and well if you are that pretty much answers the question of honor/class right up front.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2014, 04:22:00 PM »

That's great advice, but how do I get a girl to my house in the first place?  :headscratch:

Ask your wife to have her over for tea  :devil

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2014, 04:23:28 PM »

Ask your wife to have her over for tea  :devil

Can't allow her any contact with the outside world. She might try asking for help or even just flee  :devil

Offline 68Raptor

• Gold Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2014, 04:26:34 PM »
Take your laptop down to the local pub.. whip it out (the laptop) and start showing off your pie charts and post count.

Take your pick of the ladies lined up and tell her how much bigger everything is back at your place.
Executive Officer
68th Lighting Lancers

Offline 68Raptor

• Gold Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2014, 04:27:28 PM »
I was referring to the screen size being bigger of course.
Executive Officer
68th Lighting Lancers

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2014, 04:28:51 PM »
Can't allow her any contact with the outside world. She might try asking for help or even just flee  :devil

Failing that, chloroform works every time...  68Raptor's suggestion sounds promising too.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2014, 04:33:11 PM »
There is lot of reductio ad absurdum  going on in response to coppr's post  ( :uhoh mixed with  :lol )
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2014, 04:49:45 PM »
There is lot of reductio ad absurdum  going on in response to coppr's post  ( :uhoh mixed with  :lol )

Whining about killing people by any means necessary in a game that is built around killing people by any means necessary is... well, kind of absurd.

Wiley.

JG11