Author Topic: War Thunder  (Read 7034 times)

Offline Naughty

• Copper Member
War Thunder
« on: September 15, 2014, 10:09:35 PM »

Was Introducing a friend to Aces High, and after letting him fly OFF LINE for a bit, I brought him here to show him the Graphics update Hi-tec had posted. funny thing though.. Clicked on the link to the YouTube video, and an AD for War Thunder came up. A really cool, well produced AD. It grabbed both our attention, and we figured we give it a try. I've heard of War Thunder many times but was never curious to try it till I saw this AD...

Sign up was a piece of cake, and it kept saying it was totally FREE. Hell I was even able to procure my long time handle !  I was impressed with the sign up procedure and splash pages. Great graphics..

Untill I came to the DOWNLOAD.  almost 45 minutes !!!

The game finally downloaded and we were able to look around.  What a piece of crap excuse for a fighter game ! felt like I was playing Atari back in the day. Total waste of my time. no wonder it's free !
The true warrior has no enemies. Only teachers

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: War Thunder
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 10:42:47 PM »
45 mins? Lucky you. It took me 18 hours to download just to try it out for 11 minutes and come to the conclusion that it is as bad as I've heard.

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 10:51:32 PM »
Not surprised you thought it was trash.
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline Yankee67

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 11:36:24 PM »
War Thunder sure looks pretty, but there are a few things I still can't get used to:
1.  Waiting 15 minutes just to get hooked into an arena.  Sitting there doing nothing for 15 minutes, waiting for a server.  And then once you get there, there's a time limit (at least in free mode).  Once the time limit is reached, the scenario is over and you're back at the hangar.
2.  While firing a tank round in WT looks neat (shock wave ripples are cool), between the ripples and the large cloud of dirt that gets generated when your round misses, it's very difficult to adjust your fire.
3.  The T-28 and T-50 tanks are rattle traps.  And get used to them.  Because if you don't want your credit charged for all the micro-transactions to move up to a prime ride, you're stuck in a rusty T-28.
4.  Speaking of Number 3 above, you can't just log in and pick a panther.  You either have to pay real money to move up to a panther, go through this BS training mode, and pay the fake award money to make sure your crew is good and your equipment is in tip top shape, etc, then earn enough fake award money and points to move up.
5.  AH has perk points.  Simple.  You get awarded points, and you expend them if you want a perk ride.  In WT, there is a 3-tier system of 'coinage' or 'fundage' or whatever you want to call those things.  I could never get the hang of it.
6.  My biggest peeve with WT:  setting views in the cockpit is like neurosurgery on a squirrel.
Y67 (6/2/13 - 9/17/13)            8thJinx (9/17/13 -   )

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943. Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 11:56:27 PM »
yeah the game sucks big time.
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 12:15:44 AM »
YOU FOOL!

It's pronounced "war blunder"

:noid
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 12:38:01 AM »
War thunder= kanye west

Aceshigh = deftones

One has a trillion more "fans" do to outcry, but sucks terribly and is a POS, the other has talent, musicianship, originality, passion, and a true fan base, Yet they are slowely dying and hardly get noticed.

Such as is the world. AcesHigh will privail once more.

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 12:54:29 AM »
Never tried war thunder, never will. Seen enough vids on youtube to deter me before I was foolish enough to try it.

That being said...

I personally believe that the aces high graphic update is simply to keep the eye candy pleasing (within the last decade :P) and a fresh new look to it. Moreso to attract some of the eyecandy lovers of this generation and some of the older ones as well. I have no doubt that some of the planes and GVs that have needed updates will get them, along with the newly designed fields etc.

It doesn't hurt to change clothes every now and then, it might not get you any new dates, but it doesn't hurt to change appearance from time to time.
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 01:28:31 AM »
Never tried war thunder, never will. Seen enough vids on youtube to deter me before I was foolish enough to try it.

That being said...

I personally believe that the aces high graphic update is simply to keep the eye candy pleasing (within the last decade :P) and a fresh new look to it. Moreso to attract some of the eyecandy lovers of this generation and some of the older ones as well. I have no doubt that some of the planes and GVs that have needed updates will get them, along with the newly designed fields etc.

It doesn't hurt to change clothes every now and then, it might not get you any new dates, but it doesn't hurt to change appearance from time to time.

Eye candy is essential for marketing (and for many players too). No matter how great simulation models AH has it just can't compete if it's graphically 20 years behind. People nowadays want flashy effects and cinema-like gaming experiences. This puts a huge pressure especially when the new play for free competitors all offer latest generation graphics.

One can question how come they can find a million players that can run the latest graphics (even if at lowest settings) and HTC keeps saying AH can't. The problem may be due to AH being an old niche product, many players are getting old and are not necessarily interested in technology -> won't update their computers. If you would make a 'pictures of players' thread on WT it would probably have teenagers in it, AH has practically pensioners collection :D
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 01:33:31 AM »
YOU FOOL!

It's pronounced "war blunder"

:noid
I see now.
I always thought it was pronounced "Wart Thunder", which didn't make any sense. Unless the game was about some agonizing skin condition.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Lucifer

• Probation 9/1/2017
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 06:07:38 AM »
Took 15 min for me, and i tried game with almost all graphic settings at max : Graphics are excellent... :aok

Maybe u meant u re playing from an Atari ST ?  :headscratch:

Even if i prefer Aces High for the gaming experience, lets stay in reality : WT thunder graphics and cockpits are superb... !

Was Introducing a friend to Aces High, and after letting him fly OFF LINE for a bit, I brought him here to show him the Graphics update Hi-tec had posted. funny thing though.. Clicked on the link to the YouTube video, and an AD for War Thunder came up. A really cool, well produced AD. It grabbed both our attention, and we figured we give it a try. I've heard of War Thunder many times but was never curious to try it till I saw this AD...

Sign up was a piece of cake, and it kept saying it was totally FREE. Hell I was even able to procure my long time handle !  I was impressed with the sign up procedure and splash pages. Great graphics..

Untill I came to the DOWNLOAD.  almost 45 minutes !!!

The game finally downloaded and we were able to look around.  What a piece of crap excuse for a fighter game ! felt like I was playing Atari back in the day. Total waste of my time. no wonder it's free !

" Army Of Wolves "

Offline jolly22

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 09:11:38 AM »
Just watched a video of this horrible game.

What's realistic about B17s chasing fighters ? Or Sopwiths flying with 17s?

We REALLY need to get the word out about AH...

3./JG 53 cheerleader - Battle Over The Winter Line - FLY AXIS - JRjolly

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 09:19:07 AM »
War Thunder sure looks pretty, but there are a few things I still can't get used to:
1.  Waiting 15 minutes just to get hooked into an arena.  Sitting there doing nothing for 15 minutes, waiting for a server.  And then once you get there, there's a time limit (at least in free mode).  Once the time limit is reached, the scenario is over and you're back at the hangar.
2.  While firing a tank round in WT looks neat (shock wave ripples are cool), between the ripples and the large cloud of dirt that gets generated when your round misses, it's very difficult to adjust your fire.
3.  The T-28 and T-50 tanks are rattle traps.  And get used to them.  Because if you don't want your credit charged for all the micro-transactions to move up to a prime ride, you're stuck in a rusty T-28.
4.  Speaking of Number 3 above, you can't just log in and pick a panther.  You either have to pay real money to move up to a panther, go through this BS training mode, and pay the fake award money to make sure your crew is good and your equipment is in tip top shape, etc, then earn enough fake award money and points to move up.
5.  AH has perk points.  Simple.  You get awarded points, and you expend them if you want a perk ride.  In WT, there is a 3-tier system of 'coinage' or 'fundage' or whatever you want to call those things.  I could never get the hang of it.
6.  My biggest peeve with WT:  setting views in the cockpit is like neurosurgery on a squirrel.
So what you're saying that it's a class based game. Those who can afford to spend big time money get to basically walk around like kings in Panthers and better fighting machines while those with less funds or who earn it the hard way are stuck playing with the crap?

That's what I like about Aces High. Doesn't matter how much money you have, if you're a dolt with a joystick who spends big money on a high end machine with a fancy graphics card means squat in our arenas.  You're still a dolt who will get owned by another player with a 6 year old PC in the exact same aircraft.  The $15 a month means you're all on the same playing field.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 09:21:36 AM by Mister Fork »
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 09:32:45 AM »
Let me get this right: Since its a free to play game, how exactly is the company supposed to fund it if not by charging for better vehicles and planes?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 10:06:21 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Yankee67

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 09:43:17 AM »
Mister Fork, it's even worse than that.  When you first start playing WT, you're in a rattle trap ride like a rusty (literally) T-28 or pea-shooter plane like a P-26, against Tigers and BF-109's.  And you're stuck in those rides until you either earn enough of the fake coinage to upgrade (in the free version), or swipe your credit card.
Y67 (6/2/13 - 9/17/13)            8thJinx (9/17/13 -   )

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943. Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.