Author Topic: Warpage  (Read 2060 times)

Offline Yankee67

• Copper Member
Warpage
« on: September 23, 2014, 12:01:48 PM »
When an opponent displays a particularly egregious demonstration of warping, what can one do about it?  Vent?  I had an opponent today that had nice, smooth turns as he dove down on me from altitude, but when I BRD'd him, turned the table, and got several guns solutions, he jumped all over the sky as I started firing.  Then went back to nice smooth turns.  Also there was a fellow countryman in the film frames in question, and he wasn't warping. 
Y67 (6/2/13 - 9/17/13)            8thJinx (9/17/13 -   )

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943. Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Re: Warpage
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 12:23:42 PM »
About a month ago, I and several others witnessed the same deal.  Warping is something you see every now and then but this sure liked control warping if there is such a thing.

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 12:32:29 PM »
Acceptance is the answer.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 12:42:15 PM »
When an opponent displays a particularly egregious demonstration of warping, what can one do about it?  Vent?  I had an opponent today that had nice, smooth turns as he dove down on me from altitude, but when I BRD'd him, turned the table, and got several guns solutions, he jumped all over the sky as I started firing.  Then went back to nice smooth turns.  Also there was a fellow countryman in the film frames in question, and he wasn't warping. 

If you think there's a problem don't post it here, just send film to support@hitechcreations.com .

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 12:56:35 PM »
There's many variables that can cause the other plane warp only when he's near you. You know, many PC players would like to stop everything in the background for the smoothest possible gameplay. But there's people who'd like to do things on their second monitor while flying. And there's people who have all kind of crap running in the background without them knowing about it. And there's people who pass their time playing AH while downloading a movie by torrent. And there's people who share their connection with a bunch of teenagers having all of those mentioned running. And there's people who like to crank every setting on the max. Combine any of those with a guy who believes that "new" is a synonym for "ultimate gaming rig" even if it was a $300 laptop.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 01:31:56 PM »
The closer you get to someone, more/faster data updates are needed between the two of you. When you add to that all the bullets that need to be tracked, and someone teetering on the edge of packet overload on a maxed out CPU and network connection, and you tend to see what is described in the OP.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 01:46:31 PM »
I will usually let them know about it...  Most of the time, the responses are predictable

• Not me, looked fine on my end, must be you
  • Tough, that's the best you're going to get
  • Sorry, I will look into it
  •   :furious

In the end, flatiron has the best path...
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 01:48:59 PM »
The closer you get to someone, more/faster data updates are needed between the two of you. When you add to that all the bullets that need to be tracked, and someone teetering on the edge of packet overload on a maxed out CPU and network connection, and you tend to see what is described in the OP.

Now will that affect you, him, or both?  IE-  I see a lot of people who seem to repeatedly run into warpage when they start shooting.  I wonder if it's possible it's their end?  Is it their machine that's at the edge and causing the warpage, or if the other guy's at the edge, does it affect your gunnery?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 01:54:21 PM »
When an opponent displays a particularly egregious demonstration of warping, what can one do about it?  

I fly away.  And, I assume the warping is not purposeful.  I'm lousy enough at air combat as it is.  Don't want to track a zig-zagging gnat.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 01:56:17 PM »
Thanks, Dot! That's what really causes the warping when they guy is near. The amount of warping can be explained by something I brought up in my post but the very reason why it happens near you is exactly what you said.

That's also why it's so easy to convince oneself that one's computer can carry the load. Flying at 10k or more and looking up to the blue sky will almost always give a solid 60 fps and smooth flyability, turning into whack-a-mole every time there's another object near.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Yankee67

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 02:33:23 PM »
I fly away.  And, I assume the warping is not purposeful.  I'm lousy enough at air combat as it is.  Don't want to track a zig-zagging gnat.

Hap! We lock horns every now and then.  :salute, sir.

It's funny you call it a gnat.  That happens to be very close to this opponent's game ID.  It's a truly a sight to see on film.

Thank you all for the advice, btw.

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943. Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline Yankee67

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 02:37:15 PM »
Now will that affect you, him, or both?  IE-  I see a lot of people who seem to repeatedly run into warpage when they start shooting.  I wonder if it's possible it's their end?  Is it their machine that's at the edge and causing the warpage, or if the other guy's at the edge, does it affect your gunnery?

Wiley.

Wiley, I don't believe it was on my end.  There were times when I was firing and he was all over the place, and times when I was firing and scoring hits on his non-warping crate's level flight path (I assume I wounded him and he put it in autopilot as he blacked out). 

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 02:39:15 PM »
How much is computer and how much is Internet?
Pies not kicks.

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 02:45:55 PM »
In Fighter Ace there was a whole squad banned for intentional warping. I'm not convinced that these warps only when I fire are "just the internet" or my connection, or even the warping player's connection. I believe it's intentional, all you have to do is unplug the network cable for a second and instant warp.
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 02:50:51 PM »
Wiley, I don't believe it was on my end.  There were times when I was firing and he was all over the place, and times when I was firing and scoring hits on his non-warping crate's level flight path (I assume I wounded him and he put it in autopilot as he blacked out). 

Right, but warping occurs mostly when you're maneuvering.  Flying straight and level, warping would be far less likely to occur, no matter the (assumed unintentional) cause.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11