Author Topic: Yea,, Back off on the #$*&@(@ Pilot wounds!  (Read 2791 times)

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
Re: Yea,, Back off on the #$*&@(@ Pilot wounds!
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2014, 12:44:20 PM »
That said your argument contains an obvious logical fallacy.   A higher rate of pilot wounds as a result of airplane type or attack technique (or any other relevant variable) could negatively impact kills/hour.   More data needed to compare apples to apples.

It doesn't contain a fallacy because plane type was not a premise in the original argument/thread topic, which is what I'm supporting. Your position would then become not that my post is flawed, but rather the original premise, which is something you should address with DREDIOCK.

Further, pilot wounding affecting kill rates is irrelevant to my post because the person that I responded to stated they were not pilot wounded whatsoever, ergo pilot wounding could not have affected the comparison. If I was pilot wounded, it only reaffirms my position that with more fights (larger sample size), pilot wounding shows to be frequent.

That being said, I had already checked the plane types beforehand. His primary aircraft is the P-51D, followed by the F4U series. I have more kills in both over the same timeframes, so I can legitimately make a direct comparison.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 12:59:26 PM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-7

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2014, 12:45:40 PM »
It doesn't contain a fallacy because plane type was not a premise in the original argument.

That being said, I already checked the plane types. His primary aircraft are the P-51D, followed by the F4U series. I have more kills in both over the same timeframes.

Irrelevant.  (There are far more variables than kills/hour or hours flown.  These variables, which can increase the rate of PW--which itself can impact K/H--makes a lower K/H a potential RESULT and thus useless/irrelevant without more data.)

« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 01:38:43 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2014, 04:45:41 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 10:09:19 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 10:09:34 AM by Skuzzy »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

A few moments later...

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2014, 08:20:07 PM »
Well thats your biggest mistake, comparing this to real life pilot reports. You do know this is a game, and being so HTC has made many concessions to make it play like a game. Not to put words in HTC mouth but maybe they modeled the pilot wound to compensate for something else. Ask them.... in an email, they rarely answer here.

If you want real life, join the air force.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2014, 08:39:16 PM »
Real world fighter also pilots didn't  got shot down or had to crash land in 70% of their sorties, nor did they got a kill in 57% of them as the AH fighter pilots did last tour.
In here, we have  on average 3.4 kills (and even more deaths) per hour. The AH fighter pilots flies in a extremely combat heavy environment, flies totally reckless for the most part and get's way more shot at (and hit!) than any real life counterpart.

Persoonally I'd estimate I get like 1 PW for every 4-5 deaths I suffer in fighters. Maybe I'll keep a list over the next days...  :old:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2014, 09:11:10 PM »
Ouch...
you have a ego the size of Texas.
Quote from: hitech
Texas is big, but not THAT big.

HiTech

Offline Naughty

• Copper Member
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2014, 11:33:40 PM »

After watching a few of Skyyr's films I think I can solve the problem for him..  Less HO's = Less PW's. 
The true warrior has no enemies. Only teachers

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2014, 08:31:53 AM »
:airplane: Don't have any facts to back me up on this, but I would venture a guess that in a fighter, less than 2 or 3 % of fighter sorties had pilot wounds! Ever see any films of figher sorties ending with oil all over windshield? I haven't and I bet I have seen most of them over the years. An engine hit doesn't always cover the windshield with oil.
The same cannot be said of the bomber crews, as if they were attacked and did manage to get home, some of the crew was wounded most times, sometimes pilot and co-pilot, but I bet the times that both were wounded would also be very little. Something is wrong with the "box" as some have called it, but don't know anything can be done about it.
One that gets me is when a LA7 rams me from front and I am in a jug and he flies off, not even smoking and I have oil all over windshield and 1/2 of a wing gone! I also agree with the "6" shot when in a jug! The thing had armor plating a 1/2 inch thick! Deflection shots from 10-2-4-6 relative, OK, but straight on and straight "6" shots, I don't think so!!
You mean like this?

Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2014, 11:21:01 AM »
So for the purposes of discussion, I logged my stats for last night:

Time flown: 01:30:00 (one hour, thirty minutes)
Sorties: 10
Kills: 30
Deaths: 6
Fights (opponents encountered, kills+deaths): 36
Pilot wounds: 4
Pilot wounds from AA/ack: No

Aircraft flown
Sortie 1: P-47M
Fights: 1
PW's: No

Sortie 2: LA-7
Fights: 3
PW's: No

Sorties 3-10: Ta-152H
Fights: 32
PW's: 4

Of those pilot wounds, almost all shots were dead-6 shots. The one exception is a single HO (that was initiated by the thread starter, no less :P). So from that sample size, we have a 1 in 9 chance of pilot wounding. Somewhat lower than what I "feel" is normal, yet still higher than the 1/20 and even the 1/10 percentages we've discussed previously.

I'll try to keep a running tally once I have a larger sample size.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 11:54:17 AM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

A few moments later...

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2014, 11:25:21 AM »
I find that I seem to only get pilot wounded when someone shoots the general area of my cockpit.

In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2014, 11:55:51 AM »

After watching a few of Skyyr's films I think I can solve the problem for him..  Less HO's = Less PW's.  

:lol :aok

Even if the data you based your premise on was true, and not mearly a thinly veiled personal shot, your statement makes very little sense given my own experience.  

For me, the vast majority of PW's tend to come the side or behind (the 3 to 9 o'clock arc) or from shots ABOVE my cockpit.  I can't remember the last time I had a pw from a HO.

I have always figured this was intentionally modeled based on real world conditions.  You know....the thousand odd pounds of metal and machinery (i.e. the "engine") most WWII warbirds have in front of the pilot/cockpit acting as a shield?  But that's just a guess.
The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2014, 12:36:16 PM »
Radiator hits are more annoying. 

What's that?  Radial engine's FTW
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2014, 12:42:38 PM »
So for the purposes of discussion, I logged my stats for last night:

Sorties 3-10: Ta-152H
Fights: 32
PW's: 4

Then maybe it is something you are doing wrong.  The TA152 is the aircraft I fly the most and I have no where near those kind of PW's from it. 
Wag more, bark less.

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2014, 12:45:42 PM »
Then maybe it is something you are doing wrong.  The TA152 is the aircraft I fly the most and I have no where near those kind of PW's from it. 

I pretty much only fly the 152 and it seems like pws from bombers get me more then other planes...

Keyword being 'seems'
you have a ego the size of Texas.
Quote from: hitech
Texas is big, but not THAT big.

HiTech