Author Topic: Ethics of HO Shooting.....  (Read 14131 times)

Offline salt101

• Zinc Member
Ethics of HO Shooting.....
« on: October 28, 2014, 02:28:50 PM »
Im confused by the whole ho shooting topic. It seems to be a big ethical no no. I am a newbi so forgive me. Iv received a couple of messages from other players claiming I hoed them. What qualifies as ho shooting except a direct head on assault?  I dove down on one player and shot him from behind and he accused me of hoing him. Also, if you're in a slower plane like a zero or nik2-j, how can you defend against high speed bnz,ers without facing them head on?
Salt,
The three most dangerous vehicles in AH are the C47, M3 and LVT

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Ethics of HO Shooting.....
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 02:34:22 PM »
Ignore the HO whiners. They just want the fight to be easier for themselves. Take the shot that you think is best.

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 02:38:21 PM »
It's an ego defense. An excuse.

If you get a shot, take it.

It may be the only one you get.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 02:43:20 PM »
Take the HO messages with a grain of salt. You know, it takes two to HO!
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 02:43:27 PM »
Ignore the HO whiners. They just want the fight to be easier for themselves. Take the shot that you think is best.

Nevermind, I give up.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 02:49:22 PM »
HOing means Head On. It takes 2 planes to perform a HO shot. It's a completely viable shot. It's the most risky of any shot as your opponent has guns on you as well however it's also the easiest shot in the history of aerial combat to avoid. You can turn in literally any direction and easily make them miss the shot. Someone will claim a HO shot when it was just a high deflection angle but that's not a HO shot as "HO" stands for "Head On". If it's not nose to nose, it's not a HO. I have been unable to determine why people complain about dying in a HO shot when it's such an easy shot to avoid. You can only die in a HO shot if you intentionally flew into your opponents guns. If you die, it's no ones fault but your own.

There is no rule anywhere that says you can't take HO shots, some people just don't like it. It's actually a pretty good tactic to use in planes like the Mossi, 110, or 410 since these planes have tons of cannons in the nose and can take a bit of a beating. If I'm flying my Mossi and you try to go head on with me in a zeke then you bet I'm going to shoot!  :devil  If you're getting hate PM's then good for you! It means you out fought your opponent so well that it hurt their ego :) (also, if you don't enjoy reading PM's like this you can use .squelch NAME to mute them).

If you're in a slower plane defending against a high speed BnZer then use your biggest advantage, maneuverability. A zeke or niki are more maneuverable than most BnZing planes. Your objective in these kinds of fights is to stay alive long enough to either get up to their altitude or they make a mistake and come down to your altitude. If they aren't making a diving pass at you then take the time to level off and gain speed if needed and then go into a shallow climb away from them to start slowly chewing away at that altitude advantage they have. Remember to keep enough speed so you can maneuver when they make an attack run. When they come in, use you superior maneuverability to turn into them, point your wingtip at them, and make them miss either by your initial turn or pulling up into the vertical or diving a little as they get into gun range. High speed BnZing planes tend to not turn very well and struggle to readjust their attack approach, especially against a slow (or medium speed) zeke or niki. When they miss, if they go back up, level off, regain your speed, and then continue another shallow climb. If they make a mistake and waste their speed advantage by turning, or altitude advantage by continuing to dive, then reverse your turn into them and go on the offensive :)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 02:50:19 PM »
Best I can tell it is a HO if the other guy loses the fight and a good shot if you lose the fight.

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 02:51:19 PM »
As others stated...it's not an ethical issue except in the minds of some.    Many of these people will not hesitate to take the HO shot if you don't.  So pull the trigger if you get a shot and ignore the whines.

That said, don't rely on HO shots TOO much.  I say this because a nose-on-nose HO shot is a crapshoot at best as you both may end up in the tower and that really isn't the point of the game.  Learn to evade and take advantage of your opponent to position yourself for a lower risk shot e.g. going nose off and attempting a lead turn reversal.  Takes timing to get right but can be effective if you pull it off.
The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Online scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 03:13:55 PM »
Wiley said it best..the quote is in my signature :salute
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 03:18:05 PM »
Whether your bullets hit them in the back or in the front, the result is the same. The tactical advice of a defeated opponent means little.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-6

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 03:27:04 PM »
It's a maneuver of aerial chicken with both opponents staring down each other, no talent required.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 03:27:25 PM »
HO's are turrible and those who continually rely on them are short bus candidates.   <--------- Fact

The question isn't what's ethical, it's what do you consider fun and/or a good waste of your time.  If you like jousting in 1940's aircraft then fire away, but if you want to have the same kind of fun that many others have, avoid reliance on face shooting.  
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline cobia38

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 04:26:14 PM »
 My personal ethics on the HO

is it a perk plane ?  HO
 is it a faster plane ? HO
is there more then one person attacking me ? HO
 can the plane out turn my plane ? HO
 is the plane landing ? NO HO
 is the plane taking off ? No HO
is the pilot AFK ? NO HO

:cheers:

Harvesting taters,one  K4 at a time

Offline Canspec

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 05:19:17 PM »
Everyone has a different definition of what constitutes a HO shot, from just head on shots to any angle in front of the 180 line. Some prefer the challenge of maneuvering for rear shots, some don't and will take any shot they can get. Personally, my opinion is that if both aircraft don't have a gun solution at the same time it is not a HO shot. Everyone HO's in certain situations no matter what they say. It really comes down to how you want to play the game and whether you want to take the challenge of learning the different ACM techniques of the game model.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 05:21:24 PM by Canspec »

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 06:05:03 PM »
My personal ethics on the HO

is it a perk plane ?  HO
 is it a faster plane ? HO
is there more then one person attacking me ? HO
 can the plane out turn my plane ? HO
 is the plane landing ? NO HO
 is the plane taking off ? No HO
is the pilot AFK ? NO HO

:cheers:
is the opponent pansy and is trying to play the runny game?  HO
is the opponent a 262? HO (yes i expect anyone to HO my 262 too)
is he looks like hes a good fight? NEVER HO
 ;)
AoM
City of ice