Author Topic: Ethics of HO Shooting.....  (Read 14291 times)

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
Re: Ethics of HO Shooting.....
« Reply #135 on: November 04, 2014, 07:07:53 AM »
I see dead people....
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #136 on: November 04, 2014, 11:25:46 AM »
 :noid  :noid  :noid

The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #137 on: November 04, 2014, 03:45:04 PM »
HOs are like real Ho's.
Cheap, easy, desperate, dangerous, and only worth it if you fit in the same categories.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline HL117

• Nickel Member
      • Aircams
« Reply #138 on: November 04, 2014, 05:46:31 PM »
the HO shot is for the weak ...........

I have taken a few when feeling weak or lazy, generally shows your lack of ACM.
Whether you think you can or cannot, you are right!

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #139 on: November 04, 2014, 06:13:23 PM »
the HO shot is for the weak ...........

I have taken a few when feeling weak or lazy, generally shows your lack of ACM.

Welcome back HL...I see your views have changed very little during your AH vacation.
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
« Reply #140 on: November 05, 2014, 12:14:45 AM »
MY RULES ON HEAD-ON's

RULE ONE
An HO is potentially an equal opportunity destroyer (mutually assured destruction), so don't do it if you have any other choice.  The odds are just too even in most cases.

RULE TWO
If for some reason a wild hair does grow and your eyebrows decide to knit together into one, be flying the better armed plane, such as the Bf110, Me410, Mossie, 190A8, F4U-C, etc.  Anyone flying into the face of one of those is really, really dumb... and probably dead, too.

RULE THREE
Ignore those that whine about an HO (which is 9 times out of 10 actually a forward aspect deflection shot and not an HO).  In almost every instance the loser is trying to salve his own ego over his death by shaming you, and at the same time trying convince himself (and any that will listen) that it wasn't his own stupidity and lack of ACM skills that got him killed.

RULE FOUR
When Rule Three occurs, to keep your enjoyment of his displeasure going, simply let him know that if he gets in front of your guns again, at any time, in any way, you'll shoot and kill him...JUST LIKE THE LAST TIME!  How he got there, and dead, is his own fault.  You're just helping him fulfill his death wish.  LOL  :devil
Jagdgeschwader 77

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."  - George Orwell
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #141 on: November 05, 2014, 06:17:16 AM »
^^^^^^ what he said.

Simple but effective.  :)

Offline HL117

• Nickel Member
      • Aircams
« Reply #142 on: November 05, 2014, 10:54:09 AM »
Welcome back HL...I see your views have changed very little during your AH vacation.

Thanks Changeup,

Seems the HO has become popular again, just means we have to work on the avoidance skills more, this HO thing is why I like to seek out the Muppets and your ilk, always can count on a good fight with little concern over a face shot on first merge.
Whether you think you can or cannot, you are right!

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #143 on: November 05, 2014, 11:24:27 AM »
MY RULES ON HEAD-ON's

RULE ONE
An HO is potentially an equal opportunity destroyer (mutually assured destruction), so don't do it if you have any other choice.  The odds are just too even in most cases.

RULE TWO
If for some reason a wild hair does grow and your eyebrows decide to knit together into one, be flying the better armed plane, such as the Bf110, Me410, Mossie, 190A8, F4U-C, etc.  Anyone flying into the face of one of those is really, really dumb... and probably dead, too.

RULE THREE
Ignore those that whine about an HO (which is 9 times out of 10 actually a forward aspect deflection shot and not an HO).  In almost every instance the loser is trying to salve his own ego over his death by shaming you, and at the same time trying convince himself (and any that will listen) that it wasn't his own stupidity and lack of ACM skills that got him killed.

RULE FOUR
When Rule Three occurs, to keep your enjoyment of his displeasure going, simply let him know that if he gets in front of your guns again, at any time, in any way, you'll shoot and kill him...JUST LIKE THE LAST TIME!  How he got there, and dead, is his own fault.  You're just helping him fulfill his death wish.  LOL  :devil

Well said, sir! Especially rule #3.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-7

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #144 on: November 05, 2014, 11:36:59 AM »
Another way to look at this is to replace "HO" with "turn onto your six" and then replay the arguments...

"Well I could have turned onto your six too, but that wouldn't have been any fun!"
"It's easy to turn onto your six, anyone can do it!"
"If everyone turns onto your six while you're turning onto their six, this game wouldn't be any fun."

Strangely enough, the core of the argument doesn't change - that the other pilot could have won too if they had used the same tactic, or that the game wouldn't be fun if everyone used the same tactic, etc. In the end, it's a lame excuse.

The truth of the matter is that the forward deflection shot (which is very rarely ever a true "head on") is a tactic like any other, just like choosing between energy fighting and turnfighting is a tactic. It has counters against it and it can be used to counter other tactics, it is simply a tool to trade a loss of angles for a guns solution.

Those who complain about front-quarter shots are those who either
a) are inexperienced at avoiding such shots,
b) would try to turn the front-quarter shot into a HO, but are poor shots themselves, or
c) don't comprehend tactics outside of cold-pass turnfights

Yet again, a look at actual WWII aerial combat and other sim communities shows the above to the norm, and paints HO complaints as what they are: excuses.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

A few moments later...

Offline Kruel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #145 on: November 05, 2014, 11:45:48 AM »
MY RULES ON HEAD-ON's

RULE ONE

RULE TWO

RULE THREE

RULE FOUR

I like this guy..

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #146 on: November 05, 2014, 11:54:39 AM »
Another way to look at this is to replace "HO" with "turn onto your six" and then replay the arguments...

"Well I could have turned onto your six too, but that wouldn't have been any fun!"
Said no one ever.
"It's easy to turn onto your six, anyone can do it!"
Said no one ever.
"If everyone turns onto your six while you're turning onto their six, this game wouldn't be any fun."[/i]
Said no one ever.

Strangely enough, the core of the argument doesn't change - that the other pilot could have won too if they had used the same tactic, or that the game wouldn't be fun if everyone used the same tactic, etc. In the end, it's a lame excuse.
Correct.  Coin flips can be won by either party participating.  If you find coin flips fun and challenging, well, there's not much I can say.   

The truth of the matter is that the forward deflection shot (which is very rarely ever a true "head on") is a tactic like any other, just like choosing between energy fighting and turnfighting is a tactic. It has counters against it and it can be used to counter other tactics, it is simply a tool to trade a loss of angles for a guns solution.
It is a tactic.  A tactic that takes very little practice or skill to become good enough to severely damage or destroy the other plane, all while virtually ensuring you'll get damaged too. 

Those who complain about front-quarter shots are those who either
a) are inexperienced at avoiding such shots,
b) would try to turn the front-quarter shot into a HO, but are poor shots themselves, or
c) don't comprehend tactics outside of cold-pass turnfights

I love the last one.  It always comes down to you and people who agree with you being smarter than everyone else.  That's cute.   :)
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #147 on: November 05, 2014, 11:57:24 AM »
I like this guy..

I was watching this epic video on Youtube one time, and remember this one dude who was all mad and stuff because he got HO'd by a plane he was fighting.  I believe he called the HO'er a "HO'ing sack of $^!@".  That guy must not have comprehended tactics outside of cold pass turnfighting.   :headscratch:
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #148 on: November 05, 2014, 12:05:10 PM »
Can we please not.
See Rule #4

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #149 on: November 05, 2014, 12:14:08 PM »
I was watching this epic video on Youtube one time, and remember this one dude who was all mad and stuff because he got HO'd by a plane he was fighting.  I believe he called the HO'er a "HO'ing sack of $^!@".  That guy must not have comprehended tactics outside of cold pass turnfighting.   :headscratch:

Ah, I remember that - that was Sawzaw. While he's not a member of our squad, I do remember him getting quite mad when he got HO'd. Now that you mention it, he switched to a K4 and ran into you shortly after that sortie. Ah, many laughs were had that day as he landed kill after kill.

Remind us to get him mad more often.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

A few moments later...