Author Topic: Terrain Editor  (Read 24287 times)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: Terrain Editor
« Reply #180 on: October 02, 2015, 09:39:24 AM »
Will get them back in jimson

HiTech

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #181 on: October 02, 2015, 09:40:59 AM »
I modified the first post of this thread to have the terrset00.zip file.

I also put a zip file that includes all released texture bit maps. So if you wish to change only a few, you can use theses in your terrset.

HiTech

Offline 68falcon

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
« Reply #182 on: October 02, 2015, 09:45:21 AM »
 :aok
Commanding Officer
68th Lightning Lancers
Fear the Reaper no more. Fear the Lancers

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #183 on: October 03, 2015, 06:22:35 PM »
My advice right now is DON'T SAVE YOUR TERRAIN with patch 77.

It's wiped out 4 terrains so far. Maybe a full install will fix it.

Happily, there seems to be enough left of the original terrain to rebuild it after a new patch but be warned for now.

I made backup of the important ones.

More to follow.

Edit:

I'm adding a jpg of the folders showing the changed files when you save.

It also updates the editterr.cfg file to the latest terrain name without the .oba extension. This means that the TE will always try to open the last terrain you saved and crash immediately.

I overwrote the cfg file and opened several terrains to see if it is repeatable and yes, on my system it is. (edit) When you save, that terrain is porked, at least for now. (/edit) I'll try a clean install and see if that fixes it.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 07:03:30 PM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #184 on: October 03, 2015, 07:01:29 PM »
I should add what I've been doing before the crashes.

I'd completed changes to an AH2 terrain, and I tried to convert it. Issues ensued and I thought it must be related to my terrain so I started removing items like factories and made sure it passed Check Terrain. The only issue remaining was some water slopes. I can see that might have been a problem for that particular terrain, but not AH3 terrains already uploadable.

No conversion or even the ability to work on a terrain unless the reinstall fixes whatever I broke.

:furious :bhead
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 07:06:17 PM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #185 on: October 03, 2015, 07:44:04 PM »
No joy.

I'll put a report in the Patch 77 thread.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #186 on: October 05, 2015, 09:57:11 AM »
Easyscor, I am trying to duplicate the problem, but I need more information.

Are you doing your work in the AH2 terrain editor, then trying to convert that terrain using the AH3 terrain editor?
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #187 on: October 05, 2015, 10:03:24 AM »
Easyscor, I am trying to duplicate the problem, but I need more information.

Are you doing your work in the AH2 terrain editor, then trying to convert that terrain using the AH3 terrain editor?
Yes, I'm sending the zipped terrain folder.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #188 on: October 09, 2015, 09:24:26 PM »
On two occasions I've been moving multi-mile factories and the TE has crashed. Here's a jpg of what I see after doing this.

I select the object, click the Move push button and start dragging the object around. It jumps between the legal locations and I keep moving it to find the best fit for the terrain. After a few jumps of the object, the TE crashes.

The ref2m00 is off to the left edge of the window in this jpg.

Followup:
I can't make it crash unless I have Snap clicked on.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 09:49:55 PM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #189 on: October 10, 2015, 06:53:07 AM »
While testing, I placed two square tile objects next to each other. The Refinery I set as GMS and the Radar factory I set as BRR.

When running Check terrain, it reported two C02BRR00x objects touching each other INSTEAD of a GMS and a BRR.

~~~~~~~~~~

I discovered this because I was testing to confirm I could place multiple square tile objects next to each other for the avachanl update. I can work around the problem but it certainly won't be as elegant. There were around 7,000 buildings and objects in Paris alone and many of those objects were, and should remain bombable. In avachanl, Paris represents any target city on the Continent, not just Paris. Yeah, I know, the Eiffel tower sort of kills the immersion.

Then there's London and around a dozen minor cities installed in the AH2 version of the terrain.

Key for me is the ability to install all this without exceeding the maximum numbers of clutter buildings and bombable targets that might reduce what can be added to a terrain.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 06:56:10 AM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #190 on: October 10, 2015, 10:19:14 AM »
While testing, I placed two square tile objects next to each other. The Refinery I set as GMS and the Radar factory I set as BRR.

When running Check terrain, it reported two C02BRR00x objects touching each other INSTEAD of a GMS and a BRR.

~~~~~~~~~~

I discovered this because I was testing to confirm I could place multiple square tile objects next to each other for the avachanl update. I can work around the problem but it certainly won't be as elegant. There were around 7,000 buildings and objects in Paris alone and many of those objects were, and should remain bombable. In avachanl, Paris represents any target city on the Continent, not just Paris. Yeah, I know, the Eiffel tower sort of kills the immersion.

Then there's London and around a dozen minor cities installed in the AH2 version of the terrain.

Key for me is the ability to install all this without exceeding the maximum numbers of clutter buildings and bombable targets that might reduce what can be added to a terrain.
You can only place 2 square objects next to each other across a red boundary. Also the objects must be built to match or their boundaries will not match. Unlike previous AH the boundaries do not nee to be flat on square objects.

The Solution to the issue is make a new objects 2x2 or 4x4.

HiTech

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #191 on: October 10, 2015, 01:37:35 PM »
You can only place 2 square objects next to each other across a red boundary. Also the objects must be built to match or their boundaries will not match. Unlike previous AH the boundaries do not nee to be flat on square objects.

The Solution to the issue is make a new objects 2x2 or 4x4.

HiTech
Now that IS elegant.  :aok

:cheers:
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #192 on: October 16, 2015, 05:52:21 AM »
This morning I was looking at the height maps generated by the TE for CraterMA, seeing how to edit them for future terrains, either in Photoshop or maybe Paint Shop Pro if I can convert the format somehow.

There is one file in the folder called height.raw and another called (IIRC) u1000height.raw. The land areas of both files seem to be similar to each other with higher areas represented with lighter shades of grey. However height.raw has all the ocean areas shown as pure white and u1000height.raw has the same ocean areas close to black. These files seem sort of redundant in use to me so I am wondering why there are two height maps or even if there should be two.

My intuition based on the file names and that these are 16 bit unsigned files is that pure black in the file is -1000 feet and pure white is 64,536 feet, is that correct?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 06:38:07 AM by Greebo »

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #193 on: October 16, 2015, 12:36:24 PM »
the u1000 is unsigned and offset by 1000 feet, I.E -1000 feet = 0 in the file. It's sorta a left over from when we were playing with some different import/export stuff.

the heightmap.raw is a SIGNED version. It's what is used by the editor.

HiTech

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #194 on: October 16, 2015, 01:59:25 PM »
Thanks HT, I'll ignore the u1000 file then.

I get now that Black is 0 feet land and white is 0 feet water and shades of darker greys represent higher land and lighter greys deeper water.

A problem I am having is that when viewed in Photoshop the raw file's shades of grey seem to have a very low vertical resolution. I made a test terrain with a 5200 ft mountain and the mountain top has a grey shade value of only 13, fourteen shades lighter than sea level terrain, which works out to roughly 371 feet per change in shade of grey. This doesn't seem right as you can change the height to within a foot in the TE.