Author Topic: Large terrains should not be taken out of rotation.  (Read 3214 times)

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
Re: Large terrains should not be taken out of rotation.
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2015, 04:38:34 PM »
It's not a map size problem, It's a population problem.

So how would having bigger maps help that we have low numbers? If we have a population problem then we need to have smaller maps so the players are concentrated in a smaller area.
With big maps, small numbers of people are or can be spread out over larger areas; so that means there would be less interaction with other players simply because of the space.

So yes it is a map size problem.
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2015, 04:52:41 PM »

The map size problem can be fixed at the flip of a switch. A population problem cannot be fixed as easily.

If there is less action for a player to enjoy, they log on less or cancel their account outright. This equates to even fewer players because of the big map.

Map size and population are both problems, but only one is easily fixed and can happen over night.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2015, 11:00:30 PM »
Can you point me to that post where HT said something about eliminating big maps?  I haven't been around much lately.

Maybe you should check in once and awhile so you know whats going on and so can then discuss these topics a bit more ..... umm  shall we say on point?

Are you a spokesperson for HTC now?  If so I'll just search for your posts.

Im not, but I can point out things I've read here. Search my posts, what do you mean?

Correct, but a quick fix is to use only small maps to concentrate the player numbers and so generate more fights.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2015, 12:17:09 AM »
Maybe you should check in once and awhile so you know whats going on and so can then discuss these topics a bit more ..... umm  shall we say on point?

Maybe you should have just told me there was an in-game vote like Lusche did instead of being an <insert word here>.

And BTW I wasn't discussing the topic.  I was only asking where the information came from.  I'm not sure how I could have been any more "on-point" with what I asked than I was.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2015, 02:28:36 AM »
Fester map, even with it's constantly porked HQ, has 10 times more fights at anytime, more than any small map.  Removing it simply because it has a certain number of bases, really takes away more than it adds.  Fester placed the action close, and those that are seeking action find it.  Take away the HQ lights out instead, then you will see an increase in fights.  Since that most likely would have to be done manually, I would rather see the development of graphics update take priority.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2015, 07:58:13 AM »
I voted yes.  :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2015, 08:29:43 AM »
The HQ raiders have done more to damage the large maps than what they know or care to know.

The Fester map showed its ugly side again last night.  An innovative  map killed by a few.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2015, 08:58:08 AM »
Maybe you should have just told me there was an in-game vote like Lusche did instead of being an <insert word here>.

And BTW I wasn't discussing the topic.  I was only asking where the information came from.  I'm not sure how I could have been any more "on-point" with what I asked than I was.

I took your post as a "sarcastic" reply to mine, so I replied in kind. Seeing as you said "Are you a spokesperson for HTC now?" how else should I have taken it? It is one of the things that bothers me. People who have taken a break from the game comment on things people post/complain about having no clue as to what has changed in the time they have been away. Your post proves that out to a Tee

Fester map, even with it's constantly porked HQ, has 10 times more fights at anytime, more than any small map.  Removing it simply because it has a certain number of bases, really takes away more than it adds.  Fester placed the action close, and those that are seeking action find it.  Take away the HQ lights out instead, then you will see an increase in fights.  Since that most likely would have to be done manually, I would rather see the development of graphics update take priority.

Fester map is probably the worst of the big maps. I was on from 3 eastern to almost midnight and the rooks had two fights going. The rooks were hording the western side of the map, while a few were defending the eastern side. The eastern side started out fairly even but after a few hour turned into a Knight horde fest. About that time the Bish got their horde rolling on the western group of GV bases.

So it was pretty much fight IN the horde, or fight against the horde. Luckily we only lost DAR once, but it was down long enough that the rooks lost more players and so made "being our turn in the barrel" just that much more fun.

Players seem to think that as your spread out on the big maps you NEED more players to take a base (big map, big attack). Small maps seem to generate more of a conga line type sustained battle. I should have watched the numbers more closely just to see what the peek was. I do know that half the guys I was flying with logged in frustration after spending hours going head to head with hordes. How are new players going to cope with that?

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2015, 09:01:09 AM »
The HQ raiders have done more to damage the large maps than what they know or care to know.

The Fester map showed its ugly side again last night.  An innovative  map killed by a few.

Ain't that the truth? 

Logged in this morning to each country having 25-30 players and our HQ was down.  So little going on and some tard(s) decide to make more people want to log off.  Not only that, there was an enemy fighter looking to pick off resupplying goons.  What a dick move.

These HQ killing eunuchs need to be put down for the good of the game. 
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2015, 09:08:39 AM »
I voted "I don't care" because I didn't want to vote for or against it but in truth I do care.  I just don't think I have enough information to really make the right choice.  I trust HiTech to make the right choice because I believe he knows what is best for the game.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2015, 10:02:47 AM »

So it was pretty much fight IN the horde, or fight against the horde.

That sounds like a fight to me. Jump to the side being horded, pick a horde, and start killing things. None of the other large maps generate fights like these. Some CAN in some areas of the map but FesterMA can do it pretty much anywhere on the map at any time and that's why it's my personal favorite large map.

Offline Cheyenn

• Zinc Member
      • virtual 97th Bomb Group (H)
« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2015, 10:07:04 AM »
I don't fly if it is a small map, I fly when large maps are on. However IMHO it isn't if it is a large or small map, it is the game play, game play is old, stale and boring. Also one reason why new people don't stay is because of how old timers treat them. We need new game play, like Marshalling, Ship yards and more Strategic and Tactical Targets that can effect the map.
Now you can flame me for saying what I said. I for one don't want the Big maps taken out.
v97th Bomb Group (Heavy)

"VENIT HORA"
"THE HOUR HAS COME"

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2015, 10:49:20 AM »
That sounds like a fight to me. Jump to the side being horded, pick a horde, and start killing things. None of the other large maps generate fights like these. Some CAN in some areas of the map but FesterMA can do it pretty much anywhere on the map at any time and that's why it's my personal favorite large map.

I agree 100%
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Yankee67

• Copper Member
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2015, 10:50:50 AM »
IMHO, the whole point of the game is to engage in combat with some opponents.  Killing HQ, flying off the map, these are things that seem to run counter to the point of the game.  More to the topic, though, I'm ok with large maps.  But truth be told, when the population is low and you have to search to find a fight on a large map, I don't think the real problem is the map.

(Also there should be extra candy out on the table when one country falls below 50-60%, imho.  Like B-29's with a single atomic bomb that could level a field and town.  How cool would that be.)
Y67 (6/2/13 - 9/17/13)            8thJinx (9/17/13 -   )

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943. Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2015, 10:56:36 AM »

These are not fights. Fighting in the horde means racing 6 other guys to kill one plane who really doesn't have much of a chance to put up a good fight. Fighting against the horde means spending all your time either flying like ROCKY and picking (boring as all h@ll), or spending flight after flight rolling turning, ducking and dodging being completely on the defensive against 5+ all night. While the later is better as there are more targets, there is far less "fighting" due to the fact your dodging all the time. Sure it's fun, but the frustration sets in eventually.

Now this is all from a "vets" point of view. Hows a new guy going to view these situations?

In the horde..... never going to get a fight, let alone a kill as there are not going to beat a vet to the punch in that situation. Against the horde.... they are going to die ALL the time and NEVER get any where. It will be the longest.... or shortest 2 week trial ever.

Saturday these were the only options for a new player to try. Giving those situations, how many new players do YOU think are going to stay?