Author Topic: Large terrains should not be taken out of rotation.  (Read 3213 times)

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: Large terrains should not be taken out of rotation.
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2015, 11:30:20 AM »
I guess we have different definitions of a fight. The idea of fighting 20 enemy planes alone is something that I look forward to each and every day. In fact, if I can't find these kinds of fights then I log off for the day.

I kind of agree with your thoughts with new players. Some new players may find fighting with or against the horde boring like you said, but I don't think every one of them will. Some people may find flying with a bunch of allies a lot of fun. Whether they kill a plane or not, blow something up or not, it doesn't matter to them as the base gets taken and they feel like they were a part of it. Others may actually enjoy fighting outnumbered and fight against the hordes. Will they die a lot? Absolutely, even the most skilled of pilots get killed every now and then against a horde. All it takes is 1 mistake. The new guy, however, is actually looking for this kind of action though so he'll have fun.

Will people decide not to sub because all there is to do is fight with a horde or against it? Probably, but there will also be people who like flying with the horde or fighting against it. I personally think we could do with more players who enjoy fighting against the horde as they seem to be in a short supply right now. Currently the vast majority of the players are the "win the war" types who will gladly horde undefended bases all day long. If we can pick up some more players who like to fight against the hordes then the numbers will start to balance out again. More people will up to fight the horde, making the numbers more even. Base takers can plan out large missions to take a base. People who like fighting the hordes will up to fight them, and people who like the more even fights can help out on either side.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2015, 01:21:41 PM »
I agree 100%

Just a short time ago I would agree.  The base defense to stop a horde would be great fun.  The trend of late is de-ack the field and vulch anything that moves.  Not so much fun as it used to be.  More than half the time now, it is just a vulch with no intent of a base capture.

The worst word in the game, "The vulch light is on."

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2015, 01:29:50 PM »
I guess we have different definitions of a fight.

Really?
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2015, 01:54:08 PM »
I think it really comes down to how the bases are placed on a map and the distance between them.

Player base does become a problem during off hour times which is why smaller maps would be the best implication to this situation.

Also with smaller maps there is just much more direct action. However, you can still be highly offensive and attack other bases secretly. Smaller maps do not limit base taking strategy or secrecy. It's really all about how you go about capturing the base to begin with.

That being said, a map that incorporates all styles of play in one general area really brings a lot to the exciment of the game. While festers map is large, he really did well making the map where all types of action can happen in 1 1/2 sectors. His bases are closer together and in positions where all types of fights can happen at the same time. I'd really like to see bases closer together so that it is easier to defend from another base, as well as make the action quicker with less hordes. In some maps killing the FHs allows for a hoard to approach without being able to up from another base to defend without it taking you 45 minutes to get there.

I think it's about the map and base structure more than the size but the size does have an impact when the player base is down, therefore it's best to have smaller maps in rotation for now.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 01:56:39 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2015, 03:54:36 PM »
In my opinion, it really has very little to do with map size and more to do with the players. If players don't want to fight or are more interested in milking attack runs or bombing AI targets, then smaller maps won't really solve the issue (though they will mitigate it to some extent by forcing fights to occur due to proximity). However, the larger underlying issue will remain, that being that most players really aren't interested in fair fights.

Just last tour, a player in a 190, who I had killed several times previously, heads in my direction while I'm engaged with another player. When their teammate dies, the player immediately turns to base and runs to their ack, despite having slightly more E and alt than me. Knowing it was them, I simply chased them and recorded. This happened several times throughout the night, with the player in question only engaging once they had additional numbers to help them, and avoiding any situation that was a 1v1, 2v2, or anything balanced, regardless of the aircraft I upped (I flew everything from a C205 to a D9).

This same player has been very vocal in this very thread, stating how people should fight and discouraging running. Truth is, the majority of players here do the same thing. Everyone whines about a lack of fights, but few will actually up and fight. It's just the way it is.

This isn't an attack of any sort, simply an observation. I vote for smaller maps, but I don't think that will fix the long-term issue, which is simply player choice.

I think the long-term fix is to simply get more players, which is what HTC is working on.

Just my .02
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 05:13:23 PM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 26-9

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2015, 04:35:10 PM »
However, the larger underlying issue will remain, that being that most players really aren't interested in fair fights.

I hate to admit it but I actually agree with you on this. I know for a fact that I am never interested in fair fights. I am always looking to be at the biggest disadvantage I can put myself in.

Also watched the video. Not sure what you are trying to say here I saw no running at all. What I witnessed was a 190 extending for a positional advantage and in the end it worked.

:headscratch:

Offline darkzking

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2015, 04:44:59 PM »
So how did a topic about large maps turn into look at me i made a youtube video.
raynos32 Leader of the 242nd Sloppy Terminators
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/
See Rule #4

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2015, 05:04:42 PM »
Also, the Fester map, despite being large, actually generates the most fights out of any other map, IMO. I'd like to see that one stay.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 26-9

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2015, 05:13:52 PM »
Also, the Fester map, despite being large, actually generates the most fights out of any other map, IMO. I'd like to see that one stay.

I second that.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2015, 05:19:21 PM »
Just a short time ago I would agree.  The base defense to stop a horde would be great fun.  The trend of late is de-ack the field and vulch anything that moves.  Not so much fun as it used to be.  More than half the time now, it is just a vulch with no intent of a base capture.

The worst word in the game, "The vulch light is on."

Which is why the bases should be closer together so it is easier to defend from another base. It doesn't matter what size the map is, if the bases are too far apart and you cant defend very well from other bases like when the FHs go down, it shuts down the fighters causing no one to up. If there is not a near by base, that base gets hoarded while the other team sits in the tower looking for another fight.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 05:20:58 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2015, 05:22:26 PM »
Fester map is the best (but buggy) large map due to the small front-line.

Large front maps just make LWA a place where base-takers  look for undefended fields, and avoid any type of intervention to their business, + rarely any good fights.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2015, 05:34:32 PM »

+1
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2015, 05:52:04 PM »
     Agreed...... Although I'd like to see all the large maps stay
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2015, 12:55:43 AM »
Kind of a boring conversation...  someone post something exciting.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2015, 01:49:36 AM »
Zack rules. :old:
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old: