Author Topic: ENY - and why it is bad for the game  (Read 11134 times)

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
Re: ENY - and why it is bad for the game
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2015, 01:27:20 PM »
But in fact the P-51D is the big killer in the main arena... no other plane kills so much more than it is being killed. It's the dominating plane of the set.

PERK IT!!! :D
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2015, 01:46:35 PM »
I dont get it why everyone need to fly low ENY rides all the time. Challenge yourself !

Specially oldtimers should really try higher ENY rides, and let them LA7s and P51s, Dora's to someone else who really need them to stay competitive.

I also up some better ENY planes to beat a big raid, but ENY 20+ is my norm.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2015, 01:55:35 PM »
Easy solution:  change ENY to a Perk Penalty, and have it increase in some exponent to the relative ENY.

Want to fly a 5 ENY plane, and the ENY is set at 10, it costs xx number of perks.

For the other sides, if they shoot you down, they earn a bonus in perk points.

ENY doesn't really affect me.  On the instances where ENY prevented me from taking a 51D or La7, I took a 51B or La5.  But it's not about me. :)
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline Mitchell

• Copper Member
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2015, 02:04:43 PM »
Easy solution:  change ENY to a Perk Penalty, and have it increase in some exponent to the relative ENY.

Want to fly a 5 ENY plane, and the ENY is set at 10, it costs xx number of perks.

For the other sides, if they shoot you down, they earn a bonus in perk points.

ENY doesn't really affect me.  On the instances where ENY prevented me from taking a 51D or La7, I took a 51B or La5.  But it's not about me. :)

^^^^  As the ENY goes up the low ENY planes get a perk cost added to them.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2015, 02:06:43 PM »
I dont get it why everyone need to fly low ENY rides all the time. Challenge yourself !

Heaven forbid anyone that flies the planes they enjoy.  You people spend way too much time worrying about what other players fly.

"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2015, 02:07:55 PM »
Anyone who flies a plane with an ENY less than 40 needs to challenge themselves.  It's the only manly way to play.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2015, 02:09:23 PM »
Right.  So the low numbered side's getting ganged, whining, and logging off or moving somewhere else on the map.
The high numbered side's whining about ENY, ganging, and some are maybe logging off.

What's the benefit again?  Getting people to log off out of frustration shouldn't be an intentional part of the game design, especially with numbers the way they are.

Wiley.

The complaints about ENY and side imbalance are only a wisper as compared to the complaints about country imbalance pre ENY days.

HiTech

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2015, 02:22:30 PM »
The complaints about ENY and side imbalance are only a wisper as compared to the complaints about country imbalance pre ENY days.

HiTech

While it might be getting into the area of stuff you don't want to talk about publically, I'd still like to ask.  As it stands now, what mechanism does ENY give better numbers through?  Do people log, or do they switch?

I dispute the idea that an overwhelming force flying slightly worse planes has any meaningful impact on the experience of the outnumbered side.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2015, 02:33:04 PM »
While it might be getting into the area of stuff you don't want to talk about publically, I'd still like to ask.  As it stands now, what mechanism does ENY give better numbers through?  Do people log, or do they switch?

I dispute the idea that an overwhelming force flying slightly worse planes has any meaningful impact on the experience of the outnumbered side.
The 3 sides have never been better balanced. The ENY does not work on per-session scale, it works globally - if every time in your regular hours you get hit by ENY limiter, it means you should switch sides and then stay on that side for an extended period (days at least). In other words, it is supposed to annoy you on regular base till you finally get the message and switch.

Entire squadrons can move in this way, as opposed to per-session switching. In the long run, the sides get balanced, at least statistically. It does not work as well when very few players are logged in due to small numbers statistics.

Limiting the lowest ENY planes probably has negligible direct effect on base capture effectiveness - but that is not what it is intended to do.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2015, 02:48:51 PM »
In other words, it is supposed to annoy you on regular base till you finally get the message and switch.

That's fantastic.  Does it actually work?  It doesn't appear to me to.

What I'm saying is, is the chesspiece underoo brigade as prevalent as they appear to me to be?  It appears to me that the vast majority (I'd be comfortable saying it's more than 75%, I think it's actually likely around 90) refuse to switch sides because of chesspiece loyalty, so what I see is people either play with ENY or log.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2015, 02:53:25 PM »
To me 3-gun LA-7 is far over the perk-line, with a good pilot its close to untouchable for the non-perked birds at lower altitude.
War is more enjoyable when you have all the advantages.

Heaven forbid anyone that flies the planes they enjoy.  You people spend way too much time worrying about what other players fly.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2015, 02:57:10 PM »
That's fantastic.  Does it actually work?  It doesn't appear to me to.

What I'm saying is, is the chesspiece underoo brigade as prevalent as they appear to me to be?  It appears to me that the vast majority (I'd be comfortable saying it's more than 75%, I think it's actually likely around 90) refuse to switch sides because of chesspiece loyalty, so what I see is people either play with ENY or log.

Wiley.

Wiley you  do not understand what it was like pre ENY . There would be periods of many months where 1 side was out numbered ever hour of every day. Post ENY that has never happened. So it absolutely with out a doubt works.

HiTech

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2015, 03:17:48 PM »
Wiley you  do not understand what it was like pre ENY . There would be periods of many months where 1 side was out numbered ever hour of every day. Post ENY that has never happened. So it absolutely with out a doubt works.

HiTech

Based on what I've seen, very few people switch.  That would mean the only option would be they either play with the ENY penalty and horde, or they log and improve the ENY situation but worsen the low numbers situation.

I guess under that scenario people logging is seen as the lesser of two evils then?  Makes sense, but I don't like the downside.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2015, 03:20:02 PM »
The lesser of 2 evils is never a likable choice. It's just not as bad as the other choice we don't like.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2015, 03:35:56 PM »
Makes sense, but I don't like the downside.

Wiley.

There is not any down side. Before MORE people would log from the side with the least numbers making the problem even worse.

Hence as compared to life with out ENY, there is no downside.

HiTech