Author Topic: ENY - and why it is bad for the game  (Read 11135 times)

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
Re: ENY - and why it is bad for the game
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2015, 03:48:27 PM »
Based on what I've seen, very few people switch.  That would mean the only option would be they either play with the ENY penalty and horde, or they log and improve the ENY situation but worsen the low numbers situation.

I guess under that scenario people logging is seen as the lesser of two evils then?  Makes sense, but I don't like the downside.

Wiley.

Since the six hour rule was implemented, I have been switching countries quite a bit.  The shorter the time between allowable switches, the more people will switch.  I for one would love unlimited switching to the lowest numbered side.  It's more fun for me to fight the side that's rolling. 

p.s.  ENY rules!  :)
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2015, 03:49:41 PM »
I have an idea. 

How about the large country gets continually degrading strat effects.  For instance at some pre-determined level the entire country losses drop tanks or fuel is reduced to 75% max.  Maybe ord and troop loadouts are reduced by 50% or auto ack is reduced in strength.  Mix it up as the numbers grow.  Everyone still gets to fly what they want but it takes those extra players to get the same job done.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2015, 03:51:02 PM »
But in fact the P-51D is the big killer in the main arena... no other plane kills so much more than it is being killed. It's the dominating plane of the set.
This is because it can run away.

It dominates the track meet set.

On topic, just fly all the planes. Old, slow planes need love, too. The worst part about it is not the red guys, it is the green guys in fast planes getting to the enemy first.
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2015, 05:04:33 PM »
Wonder if ENY has more impact on the playing style of lone wolf types versus group players? Over the years more complaints appear to come from those in the community who play in the manner which a P-51D, Dora, Ta152, Tempest, spit16 or La7 is essential to their solo activities. The K4 is not as much an irritation as in the past, with fewer complaints related to ENY as back in the days the K4 was a dominant solo player's status ride.

The OP, unless he polls all active players, really doesn't know of more than a few friends and squad mates who logs off or have logged off over ENY. Though that is supposed to be fixable by changing countries if the ride is all one is really upset about. I suspect Hitech has a better grasp of the number who really log over ENY then the OP will ever have unless he can become an HTC employee.

So the OP is angry about ENY keeping him from flying the P-51D and logs off rather than utilize another ride. I suspect even he knows telling HTC through this forum that his next step will be to cancel his account is fruitless to get a change in ENY favorable to himself. He would be sitting on the wrong side of the limb as he sawed it.

On squad nights for many of our squads across the three chess pieces, I watch their groups adapt to ENY by staying together and harnessing the strengths of the rides they are limited to. POTW and our friend squads in the knights all do this. We just grin and bare it while we keep killing the red guys. Since AH1 and the rook joint squad operations with 300+ players closing down the MA forced Hitech to implement ENY. Now with ENY in effect, I don't see everyone jumping to the side with numbers to be on the winning team all flying the uber rides and causing account cancelations. That was the mother of all unintended consequences I've seen in this game since 2002.

Since ENY has been in force, it's been individuals who don't like flying lesser rides for the most part yelling at Hitech in these forums over ENY.

The real mistake by the OP was including his rigid position that he only fly's the P-51D so wants ENY changed by Hitech to favor his personal preference. The rest, is the same noise and wasted text Hitech has said no to since he imposed ENY.

Looks like the OP has a personal decision to make.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2015, 06:23:06 PM »
Some good responses there - and then there is the drivel Bustr wrote!

I usually fly when there are around 40 to 50 players in game.  One of the suggestions was to get 10 players together and go hit strats.  LOL  at the time I play there are not even 10 players on my side in flight!

Perhaps ENY could be linked somehow to a population cap.  If the population in game is less than 60 (for example) ENY does not kick in.

For those of you who assume I fly the 51 because I want to run away - come try me.  This game is bad enough with its lack of fights, I will engage and stay in the fight.  Last night I was flying as Hooter and had some good fights in my 51 without running.

As for other planes - I know they are there and I know you guys have fun in them - just not my preference.

bustr - thanks for your assessment of me, you are however incorrect. I am not angry, I am not about to cancel my account - in fact at present I have 4 accounts - and I am not rigid in my position.  I have a preference to fly the P51D.  I like to fight in it.  It is actually easier to get kills in many other MW and EW planes, they turn better, hit harder and are not that slow.  The 51 is fast if you keep it fast but lacks acceleration and hitting power.  It can engage in a turnfight but against most other planes it is going to lose in a couple of turns.

How about you try flying it and actually fighting in it rather than joining the hit and run brigade.  In fact why not come wing with me and then make your assessment.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2015, 06:34:12 PM »
What you want to do with a pony is your business. You still have a personal decision to make about ENY since I doubt Hitech will concede to your demand.

Remember this:

I want to fly a P51.  It really is a simple as that.  When you take that away from me I log off.  Is it that hard to understand??????

This boils down to you, your pony, and Hitech. What are you going to do??????
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2015, 06:53:42 PM »
Well if you want a simple answer.  When ENY kicks in and I cannot fly what I prefer I am going to log off.

I cannot believe I am the only one.  Hitech has already stated that more logged off without ENY than with it so he has made that choice.  My choice is to log off.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2015, 06:56:54 PM »
I have a preference to fly the P51D.  I like to fight in it.  It is actually easier to get kills in many other MW and EW planes, they turn better, hit harder and are not that slow.  The 51 is fast if you keep it fast but lacks acceleration and hitting power.  It can engage in a turnfight but against most other planes it is going to lose in a couple of turns.

Many MW and EW planes are easier to get kills in than the P-51D?  And six fifties is a lack of hitting power?

I call shenanigans.

This a game and games have rules to level the playing field.  ENY is one of those rules.  Switch sides or switch your ride. 

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2015, 07:05:36 PM »
ohhhhh  another genius.  Switch sides.....there is still a side switch timer in place.  I can change to the low side and 2 hours later that is the high side.......I cannot switch again.

Think before you post!

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2015, 07:13:39 PM »
ohhhhh  another genius.  Switch sides.....there is still a side switch timer in place.  I can change to the low side and 2 hours later that is the high side.......I cannot switch again.

Think before you post!

(stupid guy voice) How many times has that particular scenario actually happened?  Be honest.

Specifically, how many times have the numbers reversed so much that side A had 51s locked, you switched to side B and two hours later, side B had 51s locked?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 07:22:13 PM by caldera »

Offline blutic

• Copper Member
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2015, 07:30:02 PM »
I don't get to play much anymore, but how about this.
In the LW no ENY and no perked planes.
Maybe people will gravitate to the Early war and Mid war arenas?
This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.—Dwight Eisenhower, April 16, 1953

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2015, 07:36:07 PM »
I just start flying the ki43, and life all around gets better.
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2015, 07:51:52 PM »
I just pick a different plane.

These guys would pitch a whining fit if they ever ran into a rolling planeset................more realism.

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2015, 08:12:39 PM »
ENY really only effects that small percentage of player who prefer one plane, like the OP. Even if 30 guys ride the same boat as the OP, that is still only about 1 percent of the player base (given 3000 subscribers as an estimate).

Sure for that 1 percent it sucks, but for the rest we get a more balanced play field.   

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2015, 08:52:53 PM »
I just pick a different plane.

These guys would pitch a whining fit if they ever ran into a rolling planeset................more realism.

If this game introduced a rolling plane set in the MA, I'd quit.  Why pay $15 a month to only fly a week or two of the campaign?  It was probably the main reason why I ended up quitting WB when the rolling plane set was first introduced in that game.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song