Author Topic: F4U Help  (Read 3644 times)

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: F4U Help
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2015, 07:38:43 PM »
I fly hog
See Rule #4

Offline WpnX

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2015, 10:10:02 PM »
I fly hog

No glz, were not talkin about what you pick up at the bar:)
Elvis
The Flying Circus

Offline WpnX

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2015, 10:19:39 PM »
Fortunately for you WpnX, one thing the trainer corps has in droves are hog drivers.  Sik1 is one of the best, especially at E management, in one.

:salute
BigRat

For sure BR, can't believe I haven't tried the TA before, been making all these mistakes that Sik pointed out to me for years. Learned more in one session with Sik than I have after all these years of flying in the MA. Can't thank you enough Sik!
Elvis
Elvis
The Flying Circus

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2015, 07:55:51 AM »
Sounds like you had a great time working with Sik1 in the TA, Elvis....good follow up review of your first time in the Training Arena!

As BigRat posted above, their are several "F4U Series preferred plane" Trainers & we all would be glad to help you in any way we can... Time Zone permitting...

Look forward to seeing you in the TA and the MA, next time....if you notice me first just go ahead and message me or call me out, heh,

If you need anything, Elvis, feel free to contact any of us ...hopefully we'll see you soon

Cheers & «§»

TC / Johnny

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2015, 08:09:17 AM »
You can talk to me also, I fly all the f4u's. My ingame ID is Rud3boi.
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2015, 09:01:32 AM »
I'll give you a quick rule of thumb:

The F4U1D and 1C are your carrier planes, (the 4hog too if you really need it for quick action). These planes are much better suited for CV and close quarter fights. They also carry the most Ord. Also, the CHog is a great De-acker and great for attacking bases. The Dhog can get into action a bit quicker and with only 1 gas tank is a little lighter. Its better for close action fights off the CV.

The 1A and the F4u1 and of course the F4u4 are the best planes to fly over land from base to base. The 1A and -1 are better at high alts compared to the 1D and 1C. Although the Chog is nasty at high alts too.  These are the planes you want to take the time to get the most alt and to BnZ with the most. Now they can all turn great, but the F4Us are really meant to fly BnZ style like the P51 and only meant to turn fight if you have to or want to have fun. Once the F4us get slow and low on the deck they become an easy target for the most part.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2015, 11:28:18 AM »
For those in the know, low and slow isn't alwwys a death sentence. I've surprised many in my time.   :devil
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2015, 02:11:15 PM »
Elvis,
I'm glad I could help you out. Anytime you want to work on something let me know.

I would encourage you to get together with as many different trainers as you can. Not only in the hog but in other planes as well. The different perspectives, and different flying styles will give you a better understanding of the dynamics of the fights. Which ultimately will make you more successful in your engagements.   

Sik

444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline WpnX

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2015, 10:23:08 AM »
TC,
Great work in the TA yesterday, I really appreciate your time. Learned a lot about the flight envelope, BRD and especially the break turn defense.
Can't thank you enough,
Elvis
Elvis
The Flying Circus

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2015, 08:39:22 PM »
Anytime Elvis... I really enjoyed working with you........

check ya pm's for email info ( we used up every last oune of the time you had to practice, LOL, never got our emails to each other )

once we get past this last close Holiday, just tell me when we're back on for another session

you did Great!  :aok

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2015, 11:49:16 PM »
ROFL... Elvis got his first cheat accusation....congrats

nice work Sik1...

to funny

TC

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2015, 01:35:18 AM »
ROFL... Elvis got his first cheat accusation....congrats

nice work Sik1...

to funny

TC

LOL wtg Elvis  :aok

Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2015, 06:50:25 PM »
I'll give you a quick rule of thumb:

The F4U1D and 1C are your carrier planes, (the 4hog too if you really need it for quick action). These planes are much better suited for CV and close quarter fights. They also carry the most Ord. Also, the CHog is a great De-acker and great for attacking bases. The Dhog can get into action a bit quicker and with only 1 gas tank is a little lighter. Its better for close action fights off the CV.

The 1A and the F4u1 and of course the F4u4 are the best planes to fly over land from base to base. The 1A and -1 are better at high alts compared to the 1D and 1C. Although the Chog is nasty at high alts too.  These are the planes you want to take the time to get the most alt and to BnZ with the most. Now they can all turn great, but the F4Us are really meant to fly BnZ style like the P51 and only meant to turn fight if you have to or want to have fun. Once the F4us get slow and low on the deck they become an easy target for the most part.

Vio, while some of your tips are good, some of this may be misleading.

First, your statement about "carrier planes" might have be misleading, because all of the F4U models are available from carriers.  Perhaps you left the other models out because of your "best suited" assertion, but I would disagree with that. 

In my opinion, the -1 or -1A are better suited if you expect to turn-fight, as they have the better turn performance, especially once flaps go out -- which is how you want to turn a Corsair.  The -1A and the -1D have the same climb-rate, but the -1A is around 10 mph faster than the -1D at all alts. With the same fuel loadouts, the -1A has about 50% more operational time compared to the -1D, for a relatively small increase in weight.  (This leads me to believe the -1A airframe itself is lighter, but I'll have to research that).  The point of this difference in game is that the -1A can take 50% fuel for 22 min of flight time (for example) while the -1D requires 75% fuel for 22 min of flight time -- at which point they have the same weight. This extended flight time and speed is significant, in my opinion, as it gives you extra time you need to set and re-set your energy state.  That is important with the F4U as it is not a great E-gainer.  Neither plane is helpless low and slow, because of their excellent flaps-out performance, but as you said, F4U's don't regain energy very quickly, so even a small speed and flight-time advantage help in this regard.

My advice would be to treat the -1D as an attack aircraft that can be a very effective fighter, since as you (correctly) state, the -1D carries more ords.  But once the flaps go out, the -1A should out-turn a -1D, so given the choice between fighting in a -1A or a -1D, I-d take the -1A for air-to-air combat.  The perk plane Corsairs are a different story, with the -4 being one of the best (if not the best) performing piston-engine aircraft in the plane-set.

My two cents on Corsairs.

Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2015, 09:40:24 PM »
I think you make a lot of great points kingpin, but the Dhog is simply more versatile in short range fighting and provides much more agile fighting off the CV by getting to a higher alt in a shorter period of time. Personally I disagree with your statement that the 1A out manuevers the the D because I think the D can float in better positions and get better angle shots. I've flown the F4Us since 2005. It's one of my favorite planes in the game, and I really pull out some of the best stats in the F4Us with an aggressive fighting style. I really understand how F4Us fly. It's a feeling but I'll go against the best and duke it out to prove a planes performance v the other.  It's a lot of fun.

While they are both very similar in fashion. The DHog is the better base/carrier fighter because of its quicker response times and floating effect, while the AHog is better suited for long range high alt missions and mid range interceptors.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2015, 10:06:44 PM »
As Kingpin pointed out, if you compare the 1A and 1D at the same fuel % the 1D is lighter and will handle accordingly.

The 1A with 75% fuel is still 200 lbs heavier than the 1D with 100% fuel so it's easy to see how the 1D gets a better reputation if you don't compare them at the same weight.

I don't recall why the 1A is 10 mph faster but I suspect that both aircraft match turns closely enough at the same weight. Easy to test by comparing speed and g.