Author Topic: F4U Help  (Read 3643 times)

Offline WpnX

• Nickel Member
F4U Help
« on: December 16, 2015, 09:28:44 AM »
Been giving the F4U-1A and 1D a try lately and need some help. My BRD sucks and I'm not exactly sure when to deploy flaps in (when coming over top of loop? when at bottom of loop?) Do I WEP in a flat turn? WEP w flaps? So many questions, would be nice to get a little one on one training.
Thanks,
Elvis
Elvis
The Flying Circus

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
Re: F4U Help
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 09:42:31 AM »
Paging TC... paging TC...  Please pick up the white courtesy phone...

I use to fly the 1A a lot, but since there are so many run-90's and pee-51's, I have changed to the 47M so I can press them a little more when they turn tail...

The hogs are great when fast, but not bad when slow (for a little bit).  They can't accelerate out of a bad situation like a spit, but if you can keep their speed up, and not get too slow when lots of cons are around, they can be super fun birds.

Flaps are great on these birds, when going over the top inverted, they can help get your nose down more quickly making a decent stall fighter (rope a dope).  They are heavy, so the zoom climb well. 

When getting slow, turn off combat trim.  When I see speeds are coming down, I turn off combat trim at 200 mph, locking the trim at that spot (as long as you don't have a manual trim wheel set, this works).  Now when you pop flaps, you won't get any weird bouncing.  You can turn it back on when you speed back up. 

I drain the left wing tank till it's dry, then switch to main.  This seems to add weight to the right side, balancing against the prop rotation. It may not actually do anything, but that's what I was taught.

I set the guns with a cross convergence.  The inner guns at 375, middle guns 350, outer 325.  Never fire till you see the icon at 400. 

You can use the gear and the giant rudder to keep from overshooting, and get an overshoot.

Good luck
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 10:54:16 AM »
Wpnx,
I would be glad to work with you. Let me know what would be a good time for you.

:salute
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 11:24:42 AM »
Been giving the F4U-1A and 1D a try lately and need some help. My BRD sucks and I'm not exactly sure when to deploy flaps in (when coming over top of loop? when at bottom of loop?) Do I WEP in a flat turn? WEP w flaps? So many questions, would be nice to get a little one on one training.
Thanks,
Elvis

The F4U has it's best sustained turn with 2 notches of flaps.

Turn hard at the top of the loop, go easier on the bottom.

Use WEP anytime you're turning below 250 mph.

Offline WpnX

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 12:59:00 PM »
Wpnx,
I would be glad to work with you. Let me know what would be a good time for you.

Sik

Appreciate that Sik, I'm available every night tonight thru Friday 5-9 MDT. Let me know if there's a good day for you and I'll be there.
Thanks,
Elvis
Elvis
The Flying Circus

Offline WpnX

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 01:00:58 PM »
Meathead and FLS, thanks for tips, I'll put that to practice.
Elvis
The Flying Circus

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 01:43:15 PM »
  They are heavy, so they zoom climb well. 

Assuming equal drag and thrust, if gravity causes heavier planes to dive faster why would it allow heavier planes to zoom higher?

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 02:01:23 PM »
Assuming equal drag and thrust, if gravity causes heavier planes to dive faster why would it allow heavier planes to zoom higher?
Issac Newton says weight has nothing to do with how fast an object drops.

I'm confused by your question.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 02:03:04 PM by Scca »

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 02:36:45 PM »
Momentum.

Inertia.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2015, 02:55:45 PM »
Issac Newton says weight has nothing to do with how fast an object drops.

I'm confused by your question.

That's in a vacuum.  Gravity is constant per unit of mass. The heavier aircraft has more mass or more simply:  weight = gravity x mass.

When you have air resistance then drag is a factor. Assuming the same aero drag, the heavier aircraft has more thrust from gravity so you're comparing thrust vs drag in two aircraft. They have the same drag diving and gravity adds more thrust to the heavier aircraft. They have the same aero drag zooming and gravity reduces thrust more or adds more drag, however you want to see it, to the heavier aircraft.

You could say a heavier aircraft can better build speed for a zoom climb and a higher entry speed zooms higher.

If thrust from gravity seems odd consider sailplanes. Adding water ballast lets them fly faster with the same glide ratio.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 03:17:22 PM by FLS »

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2015, 03:17:50 PM »
That's in a vacuum.  Gravity is constant per unit of mass. The heavier aircraft has more mass or more simply:  weight = gravity x mass.

When you have air resistance then drag is a factor. Assuming the same aero drag, the heavier aircraft has more thrust from gravity so you're comparing thrust vs drag in two aircraft. They have the same drag diving and gravity adds more thrust to the heavier aircraft. They have the same aero drag zooming and gravity reduces thrust more or adds more drag, however you want to see it, to the heavier aircraft.

If thrust from gravity seems odd consider sailplanes.
A vacuum only proves that the effect of gravity is constant regardless of weight where the drag of two items is different. A 10 lb bowling ball, and a 20 lb bowling ball with fall at the same rate (remember you stated "Assuming equal drag and thrust") if they are the same size, vacuum or no vacuum.

Newton also said "an object in motion stays in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force" Remember, we are using your parameters of equal drag and thrust here, a heaver plane will dive at the same speed if thrust and drag are equal, however, the laws of momentum say that on the way up (zoom climb), the heaver object will be less effected by the identical drag experienced by the lighter plane, therefore zoom higher. Gravity will effect both identical otherwise objects identically.   

Disclaimer:I am not Bill Nye the Science guy so my "simple" explanation is as good as I can go.  Want better, ask Newton....

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2015, 03:25:35 PM »
Newton had no comment. The 20 lb ball falls faster due to the density difference but the speed difference is minor.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2015, 04:53:35 PM »
Wpnx,
tonight at 6 pm mst (5pm pst), works for me. I'll look for you in the TA. If you can't make tonight let me know, and we can set something else up.

Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline WpnX

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2015, 05:26:36 PM »
Wpnx,
tonight at 6 pm mst (5pm pst), works for me. I'll look for you in the TA. If you can't make tonight let me know, and we can set something else up.

Sik

See you at 6 mountain.
Elvis
The Flying Circus

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2015, 05:54:12 PM »
Fortunately for you WpnX, one thing the trainer corps has in droves are hog drivers.  Sik1 is one of the best, especially at E management, in one.

BigRat 
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat