Author Topic: Friendly Fire  (Read 4074 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Friendly Fire
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2016, 03:15:35 PM »
People that abuse it can be delt with.

The problems: The abuse has already happened, and you have to prove it. Additional workload for HTC.
I could have easily gone on a funny rampage before I cancelled my account, without any consequences.

As for other sims, they have a lot smaller community and a somewhat different environment. Just as killshooter off is probably not much of a problem in AvA or FSO and other special events, but the much larger, unpersonal & chaotic MA is a very much different thing. Just think how often folks are slinging mud at each other even on the country channel...
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2016, 03:36:52 PM »
Funny how many are complaining about shades and poor community manners/etc, yet on the other foot requesting killshooter be off?  HAH.  I'd love to see just one week of that, there would be more whine/complaints/rage quit posts than the last 5 years combined in those 7 days.  So many friendly fire attacks that I think they would perhaps outstrip shooting at red targets.  Terrible idea IMO.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2016, 08:27:31 AM »
As for other sims, they have a lot smaller community and a somewhat different environment.

Please define community, are you talking about # of people on this BBS or are you talking about paid subcriptions, people that might actually be playing the game? The other night in the MA it was a total of about 30 people.  Friendly Fire is a part of combat.  This is supposed to be a combat simulator with aircraft and tanks and ships.  Other sims track friendly fire automatically, there programming staff doesn't get involved, it's not work for other sims to track friendly fire and punish the abusers.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2016, 09:18:58 AM »
Please define community, are you talking about # of people on this BBS or are you talking about paid subcriptions, people that might actually be playing the game? The other night in the MA it was a total of about 30 people.  Friendly Fire is a part of combat.  This is supposed to be a combat simulator with aircraft and tanks and ships.  Other sims track friendly fire automatically, there programming staff doesn't get involved, it's not work for other sims to track friendly fire and punish the abusers.

We already have Friendly Fire as part of combat.

HiTech

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2016, 09:22:50 AM »
So you want friendly fire to be enabled but also punish players who abuse it... But that is just how it works, the punishment is delivered instantly and makes sure that the player doesn't do it again...
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2016, 09:27:15 AM »
We already have Friendly Fire as part of combat.

HiTech

Not saying you don't, however, the way it is represented in AH is if I shoot and strike a friendly I take the damage, that is not  how it is in combat. 
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2016, 09:32:49 AM »
So you want friendly fire to be enabled but also punish players who abuse it... But that is just how it works, the punishment is delivered instantly and makes sure that the player doesn't do it again...

Not exactly.  If you happen to be working as a team or on a squad and you hit your own man, you hurt your entire unit, not just yourself, perhaps he was fling the C47.  You get it?
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2016, 09:37:17 AM »
If it would work like it does in real life the team would still loose a plane so the only difference is which one that is going down. Instead of having an idiot killing your goon just for fun and spoiling the base take the idiot goes to tower if he tries to kill a friendly. Everyone is happy.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2016, 09:48:20 AM »
If it would work like it does in real life the team would still loose a plane so the only difference is which one that is going down. Instead of having an idiot killing your goon just for fun and spoiling the base take the idiot goes to tower if he tries to kill a friendly. Everyone is happy.
I realize that there are those idiots that might want to fire on friendly,  I'm talking about the accidental friendly fire that does happen in combat, trust me, as a combact medic I saw it more times than I cared too.  But AH is just a game and the current solution is the only one that from a purly business aspect HTC could use.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline redcatcherb412

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2016, 10:12:50 AM »
I'm talking about the accidental friendly fire that does happen in combat, trust me, as a combact medic I saw it more times than I cared too.

So very true. As a personal recipient of CAS friendly fire I have nothing but admiration for the combat medic who had to leave cover and deal with my SCW and shot out leg while he was under fire, and keep me alive for 8 hrs because it was too hot for medivac.  That is a special type of bravery they just don't get a medal for.  I got a PH for the bad luck to get hit, the medic got no medal, just more guys like me to take care of.   :salute Traveler and any medic, corpsman brave enough to have all his work be in combat under direct fire.
Ground Pounders ...

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2016, 10:25:11 AM »
It's irrelevant how it's work IRL, i know there are a lot of friendly fire incidents but as you said, this is a game and a game sacrifice realism for playability and fun. We dont go through hours of briefing and preparation before we launch etc. This is not a simulation of real air war, its a game...

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2016, 10:48:37 AM »
:salute Traveler and any medic, corpsman brave enough to have all his work be in combat under direct fire.

Thank you, I was in Vietnam and we too had hot days or sometimes so much cover over head  that we couldn't get men out or supplies in.  The guys in my unit did a great job of providing me cover and I can say that I never felt totally exposed.  When I did get wounded, I zigged when I should have zagged, and evaced they did a pretty good job first aid wise.  I was back two weeks later.  two weeks of clean sheets, hot chow, hot showers, flush toilets and the best of all, female nurses.  We, me and the guy I was moving towards to help, were brought in from the field on the 28 day of a 6 week patrol in the delta, lots of rice paddies, to say we stank was an understatement, but the smiles never left the faces of the nurses preping us for exam, god bless em.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2016, 04:32:19 PM »
Not saying you don't, however, the way it is represented in AH is if I shoot and strike a friendly I take the damage, that is not  how it is in combat.

I do agree with your points Traveler, and think that if it weren't for bad apples, it probably would be great for gameplay.  Who knows better about fratricide/blue on blue than you and other vets posting here about it.  I just think that the negatives would outweigh the positives, I can think of a number of players banned over the years that would love to rejoin just to shoot down and grief friendlies for as long as they could before being ejected - then getting a newIP/VPN/Account and doing it all over again.  Just one or two idiots would have the game in an uproar in a day or two, I'd bet it all on that. 

Imagine all the work put in for an FSO or major Scenario, and just one tard could fry the entire event by blasting friendlies in the back.  Again, it'd only take one to ruin the entire event, or MA for a day, and it'd be a repeatable stunt with the anonymity tools anyone can get for a few bucks. 

Nightmare is what it'd be, hands down, and not because it's a bad concept IMO, but only because it would be FAR to open to abuse, and it would give griefers a new and major way to screw with things.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 04:37:39 PM by Gman »

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2016, 05:36:20 PM »
fso and scenarios already have friendly kill enabled.  you can shoot friendlies.  and i have seen entire bomber squadrons kill each other while defending against fighters all of course by accident.

anybody remember what's his name dick move shooting santa down on xmas a few years ago?

maybe you guys should ask yourselves any hitech has this seeing now.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2016, 08:01:44 PM »
I have killed santa once or twice over the years. JG44 did santa hunts. Of course roasting the fat man got you booted to desktop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA