Author Topic: Ways of reading skill  (Read 23528 times)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Re: Ways of reading skill
« Reply #105 on: November 20, 2017, 08:58:17 PM »
As StarFox he flew the 152 but as Skyyr he was nothing but the Dora or LA7 for the most part.

Skyyr and I had a running war with one another for quite some time. I mostly saw him. that is 90% of the time in a 152. Not the dora
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #106 on: November 20, 2017, 09:10:32 PM »
Are you flying with the new default forward view, looking down? The view of the gun sight is slightly skewed compared to the old default view where it was centered.
I forget what I have the forward view set at. I remember I hated the new default view so I changed the settings, Doesnt seem skewed as the rounds go where the pipper is. But they fall way short of what they used to. 400 and under used to be damn near like point blank range for me. Now even at ranges less then that Ill miss as often as I get hits
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #107 on: November 20, 2017, 10:15:40 PM »
I forget what I have the forward view set at. I remember I hated the new default view so I changed the settings, Doesnt seem skewed as the rounds go where the pipper is. But they fall way short of what they used to. 400 and under used to be damn near like point blank range for me. Now even at ranges less then that Ill miss as often as I get hits

FWIW, my gunnery took a nosedive in AH3 from AH2.   Psychosomatic probably but...
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #108 on: November 20, 2017, 10:21:10 PM »
Skyyr and I had a running war with one another for quite some time. I mostly saw him. that is 90% of the time in a 152. Not the dora
Well he must of just liked posting videos with 90% doras...
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #109 on: November 21, 2017, 12:04:13 AM »
When it is 5:1 you need a fast plane to survive.  That's how I manage.  I can't create angles like BigR and don't have the gunnery of most here, so I survive by hoarding energy and knowing when to bug.

There are different situations for different planes. If you only fly one plane (there's nothing wrong with that), you will die more often in situations when you should not have not have picked that plane.

Situation 1
You and/or a couple of wing men fly super fast planes into a big hoard of 20 enemies agaisnt the odds, who are attacking your base. Yes this is the time to fly a 190D, P51D, Temp, 262, TA152. You want to be high and fast and quick to scatter them out. Roll from a back base. You want to be able to allow friendlies at the base you are defending to be able to roll and break the cap. Quick shot kills and Diving away is extremely important, and most planes won't catch you. This is how you bust up a big hoard. Flying planes such as a Ki84 or 109 in this case would not be sufficient as you would get ganged and picked rather quickly not being able to dive away.

Also the best planes for hunting bombers.

Situation 2
There is a furball on the map but your side is pushing them back. You need a plane that is a good mid alt fighter but has some gas to reach their base and can maneuver. These planes include 109s, f4us, Niks, P38, Ki61, c205, Fm2, F6F, 190A5, P51 and P47, a wide variety as you can see. These planes are good at high and low alts, can generally dive well, can maneuver better than most in desperate situations, and are generally quick. You don't necessarily need a super BnZer like  above, because you will end up getting caught low and cannot maneuver like a mid alt fighter. BnZers in this case will spend more time missing shots and rolling off, and running away from Turners, than getting kills. Defensive planes, next situation, don't dive well and have poor gas range. They work but normally end up getting too mixed up with the lower cons and get ganged, hard to escape the fight in defensive planes.

Situation 3
So you see a furball at your base and your team is holding ground and you have a chance to roll! You need a plane that is quick and agile to get right into the fight. This is when you roll a Ki84 (especially agaisnt CV planes), spits, La7-5, Yak, A6M, Ki43, Hurricane, sometimes K4, ect. These planes can lift up quickly, gain speed quickly, can dip dodge and duck very quickly from the fighters dropping on them. The key in these planes is to be quick with quick shots before the higher ones drop in. You can easily maneuver around them and get the overshoot if they try to turn with you. These turny stall planes will get the pickers to lose their steam trying to line up shots on you. This is how to sucker the higher ones down. Rolling a P51, TA152, P47, P38, 190D, Temp, would be a very poor choice in this kind of situation. If this is the only plane you know how to fly. You are going to have a hard time and die more often than not. You aren't going to have a good time, just like in the other situations.

By chosing a plane that is more suitable for situation. You will probably have more fun, get more kills, and learn the game better.

All I am saying is that if you only chose to fly one plane, and you fly it in situations that are not suitable for the plane type. You will have a higher rate of deaths overall and get a lower K/S and K/D most of the time.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 02:12:31 AM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #110 on: November 21, 2017, 02:50:28 AM »
If you only fly one plane (there's nothing wrong with that)

And all you know is the Ki84.

:headscratch:

”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #111 on: November 21, 2017, 06:19:45 AM »
Aiming really has a lot to do with how good your Joystick/Rudder pedals are, aside from that setting up a good curve near the center of your joystick and learning how to properly lead a deflection shot are very important too.

I play with a 20$ stick. Good aim. I disagree. It’s all about geometry when it comes to aiming :)
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #112 on: November 21, 2017, 07:39:58 AM »
I play with a 20$ stick. Good aim. I disagree. It’s all about geometry when it comes to aiming :)

Hard to have good geometry with your nose bouncing like a bronco. 
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #113 on: November 21, 2017, 07:42:09 AM »
Interesting stuff, V.
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #114 on: November 21, 2017, 08:44:28 AM »
Hard to have good geometry with your nose bouncing like a bronco. 
Default settings work fine. I use them. If you are bouncing like a bronco you either have awful hand eye coordination or you need a new stick.

After re reading Krups post I only disagree with the “how good your stick and pedals are”. His other points are great.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 08:46:41 AM by ACE »
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #115 on: November 21, 2017, 09:21:08 AM »
Default settings work fine. I use them. If you are bouncing like a bronco you either have awful hand eye coordination or you need a new stick.

After re reading Krups post I only disagree with the “how good your stick and pedals are”. His other points are great.

My stick is 12+ years old.

The way these planes respond to control movements is not akin to real life on MY end.   Whether that is a stick problem or a setting I cannot say, but it causes me problems I do not have in other games.   I am not a control yanker nor ham fisted so I'm convinced my stick is either tired or doesn't like my settings. 

IRL: 10,000+ hours, expert marksmanship, and thirty years of martial arts I'd say my hand-eye coordination is fine.  (Not "bragging" just addressing the implication.)

« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 09:30:53 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #116 on: November 21, 2017, 09:22:23 AM »
No, I disagree... your aim may be good, or you may think it's good because you're used to what you're working with.

I guarantee if you upgraded your equipment, or bought rudder pedals and took the time to get used to them.. you would 100% without a doubt see an improvement.

How could you know if you've never tried better equipment?

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #117 on: November 21, 2017, 09:24:09 AM »
No, I disagree... your aim may be good, or you may think it's good because you're used to what you're working with.

I guarantee if you upgraded your equipment, or bought rudder pedals and took the time to get used to them.. you would 100% without a doubt see an improvement.

I think I need to take this advice.   I have no clue what to get though...
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #118 on: November 21, 2017, 09:31:01 AM »
Nothing wrong with a Sidewinder (apart from the rattly buttons) assuming it's in proper working order which you might not notice if there has been a slow degradation. I use a Sidewinder for the core of my uber joystick project.

There's some USB software that can show you the raw data from the axes. Give it a health check. To bad we're so far apart, I'd rebuild it for you for a Texas Steak dinner  :)

Two of the absolutely top division sticks I've ran into used cack controllers and one a Sidewinder and swore by it.

”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #119 on: November 21, 2017, 09:31:43 AM »
see below