Author Topic: Ways of reading skill  (Read 23534 times)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Re: Ways of reading skill
« Reply #120 on: November 21, 2017, 09:32:35 AM »
I think I need to take this advice.   I have no clue what to get though...

I've been using a set of CH Pro Peds since 2003 with no issues whatsoever.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #121 on: November 21, 2017, 09:34:25 AM »
P.S. There's a potentially nasty pschological loop you can get into with shooting without knowing. It is known in competition archery. I devised a simple AH test.  :old:

”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #122 on: November 21, 2017, 09:35:46 AM »
Nothing wrong with a Sidewinder (apart from the rattly buttons) assuming it's in proper working order which you might not notice if there has been a slow degradation. I use a Sidewinder for the core of my uber joystick project.

There's some USB software that can show you the raw data from the axes. Give it a health check. To bad we're so far apart, I'd rebuild it for you for a Texas Steak dinner  :)

Two of the absolutely top division sticks I've ran into used cack controllers and one a Sidewinder and swore by it.

I'm seriously considering your offer. 
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #123 on: November 21, 2017, 09:36:34 AM »
P.S. There's a potentially nasty pschological loop you can get into with shooting without knowing. It is known in competition archery. I devised a simple AH test.  :old:

I used to be quite a bowman in my teens, lol.  Funny you mention that.
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #124 on: November 21, 2017, 09:42:55 AM »
Whatever you do, do NOT get a twisty stick. Having worked with people in the TA, I can instantly tell if a twisty stick is used due to additional energy loss.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #125 on: November 21, 2017, 09:56:26 AM »
Whatever you do, do NOT get a twisty stick. Having worked with people in the TA, I can instantly tell if a twisty stick is used due to additional energy loss.

Guilty.

Guilty.

Guilty.

Guilty.

:joystick:

Perhaps I should buy a rudder pedal set first...  I'll still have that annoying nose bounce. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 10:06:07 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #126 on: November 21, 2017, 10:00:51 AM »

It really makes that much of a difference?  I've had both foot pedals and a twisty stick, and while I'm certainly not a top gun because of my gunnery, my scaled twisty stick produces the same effect as the foot pedals I had.

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #127 on: November 21, 2017, 10:03:22 AM »
It really makes that much of a difference?  I've had both foot pedals and a twisty stick, and while I'm certainly not a top gun because of my gunnery, my scaled twisty stick produces the same effect as the foot pedals I had.

Some are better than others with a twisty but most people get better results with pedals than a twisty.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #128 on: November 21, 2017, 10:22:26 AM »
I think I need to take this advice.   I have no clue what to get though...

Well, if you have the money and you're serious about flight simming this is the way to go.

https://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-Hotas-Warthog-Flight-Stick/dp/B00371R8P4

http://mfg.simundza.com/products

Offline FX1

• Silver Member
« Reply #129 on: November 21, 2017, 10:36:20 AM »

I have always used a twisty and feel that my gunnery is ok. Back in the day when I flew 70/80 hours a month my gunnery was really good.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #130 on: November 21, 2017, 11:00:38 AM »
Well, if you have the money and you're serious about flight simming this is the way to go.

https://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-Hotas-Warthog-Flight-Stick/dp/B00371R8P4

http://mfg.simundza.com/products

Hardcore

I will have to ponder this.  Thanks for the suggestion.   :salute
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #131 on: November 21, 2017, 11:10:34 AM »
I used pedals in AW3, but something was lost in the transition to AH (or more likely wasn't as easily done as it is now) and I went i went with the MS FFB2 twisty, putting the pedals aside.

For years in AH I've used the twisty - my gunnery has always been on the mediocre side. I've always dealt with a nose bounce/wobbly nose for fine adjustments and I've had years of messing with scaling settings etc.

NOW.... I have a MS FFB2 again and the twisty function failed... "forcing" me to get some pedals (the latest TM pedals) and I'm getting used to them again.  I immediately noticed a much better ability to rudder kick some crossing shots, but am still dealing with over controlling them at times. This will abate as I get used to them.  The setup in game was seamless at this point.

I'll join the bandwagon saying pedals can make a difference.  Maybe this lack is why some pilots prefer jousting in fast planes. 

Rudder input, whether twisty or pedals (no idea if keyboarding it is even practical) goes a long way in making flying, fighting and shooting somewhat hopefully "easier."
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #132 on: November 21, 2017, 11:20:17 AM »

Same issue I have using mouse and keyboard.  I actually prefer fighting from below because of it, and trying to force overshoots in the MA.

Anyone that is good at the game can typically merge with me in the DA.. rope me, cut throttle and kill me.

I find I slap the nose of the plane around too much using the a,s,d keys for rudder, and bleed E like crazy.

Ive really been thinking about getting a top notch setup to see the difference.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #133 on: November 21, 2017, 11:24:52 AM »
I regret opening this can of worms, but I have consistently seen a negative effect from twisty sticks, particularly with the inexperienced AH pilot.

Could someone learn to use a twisty stick effectively? Yes, but even in the MA you can see the accidental yawing activity which bleeds speed with occasional departing activity.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #134 on: November 21, 2017, 11:49:57 AM »
I used pedals in AW3, but something was lost in the transition to AH (or more likely wasn't as easily done as it is now) and I went i went with the MS FFB2 twisty, putting the pedals aside.

For years in AH I've used the twisty - my gunnery has always been on the mediocre side. I've always dealt with a nose bounce/wobbly nose for fine adjustments and I've had years of messing with scaling settings etc.

NOW.... I have a MS FFB2 again and the twisty function failed... "forcing" me to get some pedals (the latest TM pedals) and I'm getting used to them again.  I immediately noticed a much better ability to rudder kick some crossing shots, but am still dealing with over controlling them at times. This will abate as I get used to them.  The setup in game was seamless at this point.

I'll join the bandwagon saying pedals can make a difference.  Maybe this lack is why some pilots prefer jousting in fast planes. 

Rudder input, whether twisty or pedals (no idea if keyboarding it is even practical) goes a long way in making flying, fighting and shooting somewhat hopefully "easier."

Sorry to say but the latest TM pedals are garbage, I give it a month before you're over them... Mine broke in less time.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 11:53:07 AM by Krupinski »