Author Topic: My opinion on your test  (Read 6858 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: My opinion on your test
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2018, 12:21:53 PM »
To kind of solidify my point, ill say this too.

This Monday I had the day off.  Spent a good chunk of time playing in the main.  Later in the evening things got kind of boring on the knight front, so I went to the AVA arena and participated in Monday Night Madness.  15 people in the arena, non stop action.  2 countries, small map.

15 people in arena created more action than one with 75+. I really think an event similar to MNM involving base capture with gvs and such involved would create some intense fighting too, and involve more types of players not interested in air combat only.

Two key things to make that arena a blast this monday were the map size, and concentrating the numbers into two opposing forces.

+1

That map was the most fun I've had in a long time.   It was on par with the Radar Test Phase.   Absolutely a riot.  And people were for the most part checking their egos at the door and just going for it.

I will participate in that gathering every single time it is up. 

You should be able to log into an arena you pay $14.95 at any point of the day and find the type of action that was there Monday in the AVA.    The game board you play on makes a huge difference on what your gaming experience will be.

Simply put, the 75 players in the MA monday evening were too spread out to promote fun worth getting a new player to bite on 14.95 a month.  Both between the map size, and the three country factor.

Yep.  When you have more bases than players that is a problem.   If you could gray out some of the bases or fog them in when numbers are low maybe the action could be funneled.   SOMETHING.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Dundee

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2018, 12:23:25 PM »
From day one since I've been playing..HT has always had tools and counter tools.. Even when the 49ers used to attack a base or strat without flashing it.. There were ways to tell you were being attacked.. You just had to think outside the box. Sneak counter sneak.. Made me have to think strategy   I really liked that.....

You were my favorite enemy.....

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2018, 12:26:20 PM »
You should be able to log into an arena you pay $14.95 at any point of the day and find the type of action that was there Monday in the AVA.    The game board you play on makes a huge difference on what your gaming experience will be.

Simply put, the 75 players in the MA monday evening were too spread out to promote fun worth getting a new player to bite on 14.95 a month.  Both between the map size, and the three country factor.

Why is it the Furball Ahoy guys cannot use a private arena to accomplish what they want?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2018, 12:28:25 PM »
To kind of solidify my point, ill say this too.

This Monday I had the day off.  Spent a good chunk of time playing in the main.  Later in the evening things got kind of boring on the knight front, so I went to the AVA arena and participated in Monday Night Madness.  15 people in the arena, non stop action.  2 countries, small map.

15 people in arena created more action than one with 75+. I really think an event similar to MNM involving base capture with gvs and such involved would create some intense fighting too, and involve more types of players not interested in air combat only.

Two key things to make that arena a blast this monday were the map size, and concentrating the numbers into two opposing forces.

Monday Night Madness is a lot of fun. It has been since the first day it was put on.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2018, 12:29:15 PM »
Why is it the Furball Ahoy guys cannot use a private arena to accomplish what they want?

Wiley.

Anyone can make their own arena.... even those that can't fly and fight.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2018, 12:42:52 PM »

Wiley.

Im looking to promote action on the pay to play arena.  Hence my comment about the tweaking of the event to involve base capture to satisfy all participants of the game.

This should be happening in the main arena, but like mentionee, I left that arena and had 1 dimensional fun with 15 folks on a smaller map.

Im not a Furball Ahoy player, whatever the hell that means.  Im a player that enjoys all aspects of the game and want to see it succeed on all fronts.

You just seem to be here to poke around, without much constructive input.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2018, 12:47:08 PM »

Private arenas are very difficult to populate. Besides, closed systems like the MA need(ed) balance of the activities to sustain.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2018, 12:54:34 PM »
Private arenas are very difficult to populate. Besides, closed systems like the MA need(ed) balance of the activities to sustain.

I thought that went without saying, but thanks for saying it.  Private arenas usually pop up from a group of guys in the MA agreeing to go somewhere to create a combat, be it in tanks or planes.

When there was 200 folks online on a huge map spreading them out without being able to play eachother, a simple text on the 200 buffer would get 15-20 guys in the DA.  All 15 to 20 of them would have fought over a base in the MA, but side switch limits, being on the 3rd wheel country, and map size made it impossible.  Now those same players are nowhere to be found.

Had this been possible in the MA, other paying folks could have hopped in their bombers or tanks and joined the fight however they see fit.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 12:59:18 PM by Lazerr »

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2018, 12:58:20 PM »
Im looking to promote action on the pay to play arena.  Hence my comment about the tweaking of the event to involve base capture to satisfy all participants of the game.

This should be happening in the main arena, but like mentionee, I left that arena and had 1 dimensional fun with 15 folks on a smaller map.

Im not a Furball Ahoy player, whatever the hell that means.  Im a player that enjoys all aspects of the game and want to see it succeed on all fronts.

You just seem to be here to poke around, without much constructive input.

It just seems to me the tools are there, but because it's not the "official arena" for some reason it's just not worth doing. 

Your two sided small arena could hold up to what, 32 people in a private arena?  Hell, at European times that would hold the active players in the MA.

Somebody could set it up, prove the concept, and maybe, just maybe get HT to listen to them if it was being shown that it was consistently popular.  Instead, you keep on about how they have to change the official arena because that's the only way people will do it.  If the gameplay was actually desired, and somebody who was committed to it set up a private arena on a consistent basis with the settings they think will work, why the EFF wouldn't people flock to it?

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2018, 01:04:12 PM »
It just seems to me the tools are there, but because it's not the "official arena" for some reason it's just not worth doing. 

Your two sided small arena could hold up to what, 32 people in a private arena?  Hell, at European times that would hold the active players in the MA.

Somebody could set it up, prove the concept, and maybe, just maybe get HT to listen to them if it was being shown that it was consistently popular.  Instead, you keep on about how they have to change the official arena because that's the only way people will do it.  If the gameplay was actually desired, and somebody who was committed to it set up a private arena on a consistent basis with the settings they think will work, why the EFF wouldn't people flock to it?

Wiley.

Well i work 50 hours a week, 2nd shift currently.  The two days I am off, I am typically busy.  I will log in a day a week and fly for a couple hours after work.

I plan do go to days shift sooner than later, and I would definately consider giving it a try.

Im unaware of how to involve scores, strats, etc in a private arena.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 01:06:32 PM by Lazerr »

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2018, 01:12:52 PM »
Well i work 50 hours a week, 2nd shift currently.  The two days I am off, I am typically busy.  I will log in a day a week and fly for a couple hours after work.

I plan do go to days shift sooner than later, and I would definately consider giving it a try.

Im unaware of how to involve scores, strats, etc in a private arena.

Not saying you specifically but surely one of you small arena 2 side proponents could make it happen.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2018, 01:24:44 PM »

Wiley.

Why is it the GV and Hider Ahoy guys cannot use a private arena to accomplish what THEY want?
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2018, 01:25:52 PM »

Wiley.

Apparently, you still don't understand the concept of critical mass, my friend.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2018, 01:29:29 PM »
Why is it the GV and Hider Ahoy guys cannot use a private arena to accomplish what THEY want?

They could.  That's my point.  If people believe there's just so much demand for their pet set of arena settings, why aren't they proving it?  Lazerr just finished saying 15 people created desirable gameplay.  That was apparently "critical mass" in that case.  Most of the ideas are geared toward the low number times.  A private arena could hold the active players on non peak times.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2018, 01:33:48 PM »
Your two sided small arena could hold up to what, 32 people in a private arena?

The capacity for private arenas is capped at 16.

somebody who was committed to it set up a private arena on a consistent basis with the settings they think will work, why the EFF wouldn't people flock to it?

No this is a flawed implication. Firstly the effort to host is huge. Settup is non-trivial and you have to run your PC all day long. While you are doing that you can't fly anywhere else yourself. So you can't practically run it for long enough or rather, reliably enough. You really can't therefore generate a sustainable population. I also feel people are sceptical about nonofficial arenas. Logical really.

Frankly I think the remaining MA population is of the grind-out-the-gameplay-we've-been-doing-for-years types and if the complaints about more transparent radar are anything to go by, a toe-to-toe skillmatching contest is the farthest thing from desirable.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234