Author Topic: F-4E Beatin’ Feet at Maple Flag  (Read 8705 times)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
F-4E Beatin’ Feet at Maple Flag
« on: September 08, 2018, 03:10:30 PM »
For your viewing pleasure.  A little high speed NOE action.

https://youtu.be/wX27Cnmz6-s
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 05:25:40 PM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: F-4E Beatin’ Feet at Maple Flag
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 06:01:40 PM »
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 06:06:32 PM »
Think I posted this before.   Some great photography. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB8g_efiKMg

”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Online Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 06:14:16 PM »
Some great photography. 

For sure.

Call me paranoid, but it troubles me to see rising sun insignia on aeroplanes (even on heavy ugly aeroplanes).

- oldman

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 06:16:12 PM »

For sure.

Call me paranoid, but it troubles me to see rising sun insignia on aeroplanes (even on heavy ugly aeroplanes).

- oldman

Hey!  Who ya callin’ Ugley?

Online Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 08:30:24 PM »
Hey!  Who ya callin’ Ugley?

...why...that hump-backed, slab-sided, lumpy-like-a-cucumber kerosene-sucking, smelly-smoking 15-ton brick that they laughed and named "Phantom," of course.

Now the F-106, there was a slender ballerina of an aeroplane....

- oldman

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 09:01:20 PM »

...why...that hump-backed, slab-sided, lumpy-like-a-cucumber kerosene-sucking, smelly-smoking 15-ton brick that they laughed and named "Phantom," of course.

Now the F-106, there was a slender ballerina of an aeroplane....

- oldman

Yeah, but, the Rhino was a beast and could carry anything out and drop it on someone's noggin.  Plus, the Rhino could go like a scalded ape down low in the trees.  Like I was in the video below.  :D

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2018, 10:03:38 PM »
Yeah, but, the Rhino was a beast and could carry anything out and drop it on someone's noggin.  Plus, the Rhino could go like a scalded ape down low in the trees.  Like I was in the video below.  :D

No, the plane that could go like a scaled ape in the trees was the Thud.

"Check twelve o'clock, see you at the bar." - Red Flag c. 1983  :rofl
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2018, 10:05:18 PM »
No, the plane that could go like a scaled ape in the trees was the Thud.

"Check twelve o'clock, see you at the bar." - Red Flag c. 1983  :rofl

Have you flown both?

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2018, 10:07:29 PM »
Have you flown both?

I've known several who have.  It's hardly uncommon.

(Not to say that the F-4 wasn't/isn't fast as it sure was/is.)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 10:17:50 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2018, 11:59:13 PM »
So, the answer is no.  Then, you’re not aware that the term “go like a scalded ape” is frequently used in the real fighter world to describe the ability to move out at max possible speed, in a fast mover.

There’s no denying the Thud was extremely fast down low and could do a lot of damage along the way.  I too have met numerous pilots who have flown it and I’ve seen it in action.

You seem to know everyone and every thing.  Just be cautious about speaking out of turn.  :salute

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2018, 12:13:21 AM »
So, the answer is no.  Then, you’re not aware that the term “go like a scalded ape” is frequently used in the real fighter world to describe the ability to move out at max possible speed, in a fast mover.

There’s no denying the Thud was extremely fast down low and could do a lot of damage along the way.  I too have met numerous pilots who have flown it and I’ve seen it in action.

You seem to know everyone and every thing.  Just be cautious about speaking out of turn.  :salute

No caution needed or required.

I am well aware of the phrase and its meaning--it's not a secret code.   I see nothing inconsistent with what I've said vs. what you've said.  My comment was not a smear on the Rhino but was merely a compliment to the Thud.   :cheers:

Going fast down low is not unique to any fighter or attack jet in this class, but the F-105 made a legend of itself for doing it better and faster than anyone--and not just in a stripped down form for a speed record dash either.   The reference in the message above that has attracted your ire was in regard to an actual event at their final Red Flag where the 105s outran everyone, even old, tired and worn as they were.   I recall something about the pursuing airplanes getting into windshield overheat territory in a vain attempt to keep up.  It's a vague memory now unfortunately, but a good story.    (I think the appropriate response would have been a chuckle, not a public attempt at flogging.)

So in this context I will speak, with all due respect and appropriate deference, as I please when I please within the rules of the forums to the best of my ability.   :aok

No insult intended (and no animals were harmed during the writing of this post).

Carry on.   :salute

« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 01:11:07 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2018, 01:02:47 AM »

A guy I used to work with flew both the F-4 and the F-15.  I was surprised when he said the highest speed he obtained was in the Phantom.  His tale of a late in the day just before club closing blast from Eielson to Elmendorf burner run that only took like 18 minutes was pretty funny.  He assumed he had set a record only to find his CO had done it in a few minutes less.

One of the most awesome things I saw, and would have loved to have a photograph of, was a 2-ship of alert Phantoms that launched from Elmendorf on a very rainy late afternoon.  As lead rotated there was a huge wake of mist blowing back, the flame from the afterburners were bent on the runway surface and of course the sound of the 4 J-79s was awe inspiring....at least for a young paratrooper.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2018, 01:13:58 AM »
I can't top that Columbo but I'll never forget rushing to the Airsho' in Harlingen back around 1986 to try and meet Chuck Yeager.   I was late and as we were pulling onto the airport road two dark green F-4s flew over our head at about 50 feet off the ground, with Yeager in the lead.

Absolutely howling.   Speed restriction?  Not on your life.  They set off every car alarm (if they even existed then) within five miles of their path going out of there.      :bolt:

Never met him but that experience was perhaps even better.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2018, 01:16:29 AM »
I always found it funny how the AF F4 phantoms used those ladders....where as the Navy F4 phantoms I worked on never had or required them

Still is one of my all-time favorites of the different types of jets I had the joy to work on and do high power turn quals in....

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC