Author Topic: #MAGA  (Read 6974 times)

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
Re: #MAGA
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2018, 01:52:25 PM »
I suppose you could modify how the collision works by excluding all collisions where the AC of the player whose computer experiences the collision is overtaken. Or some sort of nuance that takes into account the vectors of the colliding aircraft to exclude collisions that seem especially irritating and unavoidable.
Pies not kicks.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2018, 02:03:10 PM »
AH's collision model is the perfect solution for a game in which players all over the world play on a single server in Texas.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2018, 02:12:43 PM »
I suppose you could modify how the collision works by excluding all collisions where the AC of the player whose computer experiences the collision is overtaken. Or some sort of nuance that takes into account the vectors of the colliding aircraft to exclude collisions that seem especially irritating and unavoidable.

You could do something like that.  You could define a certain angle of velocity vector difference to determine if the collision is because you are being overrun.  But should you?  Is that just training-wheels?  Besides, coming up from behind you is generally not how this would happen.  Because of lag, it would be more likely they would see a collision and you wouldn't if they were coming up behind you.  So really, we are practically talking collisions in the 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock sector.

A common example I had seen, I was diving on the 12 clk position on a bomber.  As I pass across his nose, I clearly missed on my front-end , but I guess because of lag he saw me crash into his windshield?  Should I have died?  Should he have maneuver to avoid a collision he could have seen coming on his front end? Should he have seen me pass through his cockpit without damaging him? 

Should we disable bullets coming from the front because getting HO'd is annoying?

It's technically possible to handle it any number of ways.  It just seems to me, that short of turning off collisions, this is the most reasonable compromise.

:salute,
CptTrips

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline j500ss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2018, 05:56:21 PM »
Frankly, as I see it, and this is just me.   You both should have died, end of story.   

People may not like that, but in reality  ( and sometimes reality kinda sucks )  the real world result would be you both die.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2018, 06:02:53 PM »
AH's collision model is the perfect solution for a game in which players all over the world play on a single server in Texas.

WBs had a better one.   Maybe it was because of my distance to the server being different back then compared to now with AH, I don't know.    Any way, I've seen some just plain whacky things regarding collisions here that I never saw there.   

”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2018, 06:14:01 PM »
Frankly, as I see it, and this is just me.   You both should have died, end of story.   

People may not like that, but in reality  ( and sometimes reality kinda sucks )  the real world result would be you both die.

In the real world, both get damage because both collide.
In AH, occasionally just ONE collides.

What you are asking for is getting a collision hit even if you clearly evade the other plane.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2018, 06:16:37 PM »

But wouldn't the guy that saw he clearly dodged successfully only to magically blow up for no apparent reason then say that collisions are broken?

If you really wanted to do a voting thing, I'd say that when one sees a collision and the other not, then you bias towards no collision for either, instead of collision for both.

But, I'd vote against that.  I think the way it is now is the best compromise. 

:salute

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline j500ss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2018, 06:47:32 PM »
In my personal experience in AH, if I cause the collision, I get damage.  Ok fair enough.   If someone collides with me, I get damage.   I honestly cannot say I have ever flown away from a collision in the game undamaged.  None that I can recall, but hey I don't play a lot anymore.

Apparently many do fly away undamaged.

Make no mistake, I ask for nothing from this game.   The people who own it, do as they see fit, not what the customers necessarily ask for.  ( again reality )

So far as the OP, they are indeed great ideas  :aok

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2018, 07:05:49 PM »
In my personal experience in AH, if I cause the collision, I get damage.  Ok fair enough.   If someone collides with me, I get damage.   I honestly cannot say I have ever flown away from a collision in the game undamaged.  None that I can recall, but hey I don't play a lot anymore.

You maybe just did not notice the 'collisions' that didn't hurt you, because there was none on your side - just on your opponents.

It's all in the messages :
"XY has collided with you"
"You have collided".

If you see the first one, your opponent had a collision on his screen and will take damage (the actual amount can vary a lot, of course).
If you see the second one, you had a collision on YOUR screen and you will take damage.

Often you see both messages, with consequences to both participants.

If there is only the first one, you might not even notice it, because the is no bang and no damage to you, and it's easy to miss a single message during a dogfight. (And people are more inclined to take note of events that hurt them)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2018, 07:36:46 PM »

Apparently many do fly away undamaged.

Make no mistake, I ask for nothing from this game.   The people who own it, do as they see fit, not what the customers necessarily ask for.  ( again reality )

So far as the OP, they are indeed great ideas  :aok

I had at least 4 of them last night. Tight turn fights and I rolled my plane out of the way at just the right time and bang, he got a collision, and I didnt. I worked hard to avoid a collision and so DIDNT get penalized for one.

The system HTC uses is the best of all worlds, you just need to understand how it works.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2018, 07:40:47 PM »
Perhaps you don't understand it.  Don't collide and you take no damage.

As soon as the internet can move faster than the speed of light, there will be no lag and both planes seemingly in the exact space and time will collide.  Since there is lag, both planes are not always in the exact space and time, hence one collides and the other does not.

The alternatives are no collisions at all or dying from a collision when you didn't collide.

Regarding MAGA, we do need new planes.   The most recent new fighter was added in July 2013 and January 2014 for the newest bomber.

Years ago I played Unreal Tournament quite a bit, and there were some servers online that had a mod called zero ping that even with a 120ms connection, everything was real time. No lag/delay with a shot or any player interactions. Guess on a big server like this that would be a nightmare to try to implement
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2018, 09:00:47 PM »
Because on their front end, they did not collide with you.  On your front end, it did appear the planes collided.  There is no other reasonable way to handle the discrepancy, is there? 

The fact you didn't see them coming isn't the fault of the algorithm.    That's the same as getting shot down by someone you didn't see coming.  War is Hell.

Are you saying you had collisions with planes that on your front end were clearly not close?  Since you said you didn't see them coming, I take it that is not the case.
Uhhh quite sure many times on their screen and my screen both showed planes colliding many times. I know for a fact from thousands of 1v1’s that is the case majority of the time.

The fault of the algorithm is that damage is not ever consistent for either player. So many times I get rammed and instantly killed while other player flys off in harmed. When I get the message that they “collided with you”.

Also did you even look at the film link I posted? There is no reason we can’t have a collision system like that ingame.
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2018, 09:05:36 PM »
Uhhh quite sure many times on their screen and my screen both showed planes colliding many times. I know for a fact from thousands of 1v1’s that is the case majority of the time.

The fault of the algorithm is that damage is not ever consistent for either player. So many times I get rammed and instantly killed while other player flys off in harmed. When I get the message that they “collided with you”.

Also did you even look at the film link I posted? There is no reason we can’t have a collision system like that ingame.

Sorry, I might have misunderstood your point.

So you are saying that both of you saw collisions but you felt your aircraft was unfairly damaged more?

I did watch your video.  I wasn't sure what you were illustrating with it.  I assume that was offline play footage?

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2018, 09:07:16 PM »
How much of that film you talk about is an on line server? A mission in the game would have no lag issues as your playing by yourself on your computer so sure those collisions work well. With lag involved in an on line environment you need a system that damages those that DO collide.

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2018, 09:13:51 PM »
How much of that film you talk about is an on line server? A mission in the game would have no lag issues as your playing by yourself on your computer so sure those collisions work well. With lag involved in an on line environment you need a system that damages those that DO collide.
I can log in to IL-2 and achieve the exact results if you would like. I’ll stream it live and post it here.
Sorry, I might have misunderstood your point.

So you are saying that both of you saw collisions but you felt your aircraft was unfairly damaged more?

I did watch your video.  I wasn't sure what you were illustrating with it.  I assume that was offline play footage?

Yes both enemy and I seen each other crash into each other on both screens. There has been many times I’ve taken no damage (with or without collision), took some reasonable damage (with or without collided message) and times I took all the damage etc... the footage was shot both online and offline play.
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3