Author Topic: #MAGA  (Read 7030 times)

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
Re: #MAGA
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2018, 06:55:57 PM »
The collision model in here is atrocious at best. How do they register a bullet hit at that speed and can’t register a plane collision. Get in il2 and watch how those guy avoid each other. Guess why?  If you hit another plane you both will crash and burn. In aces high a lot of folks take the collision on the others front end as a game winner.

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2018, 07:01:35 PM »
In the real world, both get damage because both collide.
In AH, occasionally just ONE collides.

What you are asking for is getting a collision hit even if you clearly evade the other plane.
How do you have a collision with one plane?  How can I avoid a plane in a time warp continuum?  Is the game not smart enough to say wait that bomber was straight and level and this dork in a 190 just rammed the rear of him.  Let us give the collision to the bomber and let the 190 fly off.
Two planes collide they take same damage mirrored.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2018, 07:16:14 PM »
How do you have a collision with one plane?  How can I avoid a plane in a time warp continuum?  Is the game not smart enough to say wait that bomber was straight and level and this dork in a 190 just rammed the rear of him.  Let us give the collision to the bomber and let the 190 fly off.

Because due to closure rates and internet ping times between clients, aircraft positions may not be exactly the same on both client's screens.

One player may clearly see the other aircraft pass 10 yards behind his tail.

The other player may have clearly seen himself crash into the tail of the other.

Should the first player blow up when he saw the miss?

Should the second player pass through the tail of the other without damage?

If you figure out how to transmit packets across the internet with zero transit time, please PM me.  I have some high-frequency trading ideas I'd like to explore with you.  :lol
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2018, 07:28:50 PM »

Enemy Pony comes at you for the ram. You dodge him.
So you would be fine with still getting a collision result even if you clearly avoided him?
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2018, 07:33:38 PM »
Enemy Pony comes at you for the ram. You dodge him.
So you would be fine with still getting a collision result even if you clearly avoided him?
Yes. I take damage all the time trying to avoid planes. Just the other day I was landing and a ki84 was vulching me and I get the collide as he passes so again yes. Two planes collide two planes take damage. People will learn coming head on taking the risk will not be worth it if there’s a 100% chance they are gonna take damage.

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2018, 07:37:15 PM »
Because due to closure rates and internet ping times between clients, aircraft positions may not be exactly the same on both client's screens.

One player may clearly see the other aircraft pass 10 yards behind his tail.

The other player may have clearly seen himself crash into the tail of the other.

Should the first player blow up when he saw the miss?

Should the second player pass through the tail of the other without damage?

If you figure out how to transmit packets across the internet with zero transit time, please PM me.  I have some high-frequency trading ideas I'd like to explore with you.  :lol
Again the game can tell where all the Bullets are hitting but not the planes. Does not make since. There’s a guy that flys in the am a lot and I feel horrible for him. On my screen we are 400 apart and then I get xxx has collided with you. I am I willing to take damage on that to even up the guys that almost use it as a weapon?  Yes

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2018, 07:40:49 PM »
Yes. I take damage all the time trying to avoid planes

I did not say "trying"
In the current model, you do not get any collision damage if there is no collision on your screen. If you avoid the enemy, you won't get hurt by a collision (you still can get shot!)

So again, if you clearly avoid the enemy plane, you still want to get collision damage?

Just for illustration, here a typical asymetrical collision again:

This P-47 pilot's view. Message reads "Lusche has collided with you" (P-51 pilot). Jug didn't get any damage, only the pony did.
"Both take damage" would mean the Jug would go down.

Very same moment on the Pony pilot's screen:

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2018, 07:43:38 PM »
Again the game can tell where all the Bullets are hitting but not the planes. Does not make since. There’s a guy that flys in the am a lot and I feel horrible for him. On my screen we are 400 apart and then I get xxx has collided with you. I am I willing to take damage on that to even up the guys that almost use it as a weapon?  Yes

Bullet hits are determined local to the shooter's world view. 

So you shoot at the plane you see on your client.  At the position you see him.  When the bullets your client is calculating the flight for are calculated to have hit the enemy as your client see's it, it notifies the other client through the server layer that he has been hit.

[edit]

Collisions are determine locally as well.  But only your own collisions.

:salute

« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 07:56:09 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2018, 08:16:27 PM »
Do both planes take damage when a collision occurs playing offline missions?  Ping time is not a variable here.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2018, 08:25:20 PM »
As far as offline collision and how damage is dealt is concerned, someone will probably run a test and report back here.

I do think that if the server registers a collision, both actors should receive damage based on the impact site for each vehicle, regardless of what the player sees on his screen. For their to be a collision event both players have to occupy the same point in 3d space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2018, 08:35:26 PM »
As far as offline collision and how damage is dealt is concerned, someone will probably run a test and report back here.

I do think that if the server registers a collision, both actors should receive damage based on the impact site for each vehicle, regardless of what the player sees on his screen. For their to be a collision event both players have to occupy the same point in 3d space.

I do not believe the AH server determines collisions. 

That would be a massive amount of calculations for the server to do for all players in real time.  That is not scalable.
By delegating the calculations of self-fired bullet hits and self-collisions to individual clients, you are distributing the  load and parallel processing.

When your plane occupies the same 3d space as another plane (in your world view) you do collide.
When your plane does not occupies the same 3d space as another plane (in your world view) you do not collide.

You simply don't collide when your plane occupies the same 3d space as another plane on their world view but not on yours.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2018, 08:39:24 PM »
Do both planes take damage when a collision occurs playing offline missions?  Ping time is not a variable here.

Coogan

I've seen the AI fly through the ground so I'm not sure they process collisions events the same way a player does.

But I have had them ram into me from behind and kill me.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2018, 08:42:09 PM »
most if not all is more than likely handled by the client and the server should be verifying or validating what the client reports.

the server should take a scenario reported by two clients and ask "Can this happen and did this happen?". based on the information gathered by the server both clients should receive a response indicating the outcome of the collision trigger. 

10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2018, 08:42:18 PM »
I do think that if the server registers a collision, both actors should receive damage based on the impact site for each vehicle, regardless of what the player sees on his screen.

Just for for clarification, the server does never register any collisions. Collision detection is done loacally. The server is just the man in the middle.

For their to be a collision event both players have to occupy the same point in 3d space.

But they rarely do. See the pctures aboe, which are coming from an actual online situation. If you would let a collision event happen only if both actually 'occupy the same 3d space', you are openening just another can of worms: Players like me would almost never cause a collision, means they could just fly guns blazing through any opponent. All while other players (with a very low ping) would still have to worry about potential collisions.
Right now AH has 'what you see is what you get'. With a proposed "only if both occupy the same 3d space" the results would be totally inconsistent.

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2018, 09:03:29 PM »
I always wondered why people get upset about the collisions but never seem to get upset about the bullets. The same displacement in virtual space between computers happens with them and their aiming. I suppose it is subtle enough that you don't notice it much.
Pies not kicks.