Author Topic: Another 737 down  (Read 33637 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: Another 737 down
« Reply #240 on: May 16, 2019, 09:54:59 PM »
Headline in my local news. Boeing announced that orders for the 737 Max have ceased. It does not elaborate as to whether existing unfilled orders have been cancelled. Christmas comes early for Airbus and hopefully Boeing as a corporation survives.

Conviction by public opinion without disclosure of all of the evidence. Even if all contributing factors should come to light at some point, they will be published on page 17 of the Times in a small byline.

Shall we chip in for some vacation travel for Ace and Zimme on Cubana or maybe Air Koryo?

:rofl :aok

(I noted early on this was a hit job by the pro-Airbus cabal headed by EASA.    They’ve succeeded.)
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #241 on: May 16, 2019, 10:10:11 PM »
Busher are you seriously worried that the 737max crashes are a threat to Boeing's survival? I am surprised if you are. In my opinion the 737max is a short term problem somewhat more costly than the 787 fires but in no way an existential threat.

I think the danger Boeing faces is the potential loss of its engineering culture over the long term if the management changes that are being reported, (reports derided as hit pieces here,) are somewhat accurate. The danger of that is not just that somebody says it is so but that it is so. I guess my point is that if people are worried about some kind of anti Boeing plot destroying the company I frankly think they are completely off base and fundamentally not serious.

Remember that of the Fortune 500 companies that were on the list in 1955 only 60 are still on it today. Large complex industrial companies are very capable of shooting themselves in the foot and reloading, just look at GM, GE, Bethlehem Steel.

If you look at the upwards march of Boeing's earnings over last ten years you can take that at face value as meaning that Boeing is a really well run company that is able to wring efficiency's out of complex manufacturing systems and grow sales or you could wonder where exactly is the fat being trimmed and suspect that they are moving to the wrong side of the engineering/cost cutting line and are setting themselves up to fall behind. I suppose you could believe both at the same time as well.

I think airplane building is a pretty amazing business. So much capital so much need to keep advancing the technology, such high stakes with sales, and potentially such a huge growth in the market coming.

Anyway this is no  De Havilland Comet end of the British Empire moment.
Pies not kicks.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #242 on: May 16, 2019, 11:32:37 PM »
He hasn’t been online since he posted this, Toad. Give the man some time.

Oh my! Quelle horreur!

Thanks, Ace. I have lost my HTC Forum Rule Book and couldn't remember exactly how long I had to wait before I reposted a question to another poster.

In the future, I'll just ask you if it's OK to ask again. Seems like you still have the book.

Thanks again.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #243 on: May 16, 2019, 11:39:44 PM »

Shall we chip in for some vacation travel for Ace and Zimme on Cubana or maybe Air Koryo?

I don't know anything about Cubana today or Air Koryo.

I can tell you this though: in the late 70's Cuban Mig-21 pilots could fly the toejam out of that airplane. They were the very best, by a very long way, of the Commie pilots who came out to intercept our RC-135s.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #244 on: May 17, 2019, 06:49:03 AM »
Oh my! Quelle horreur!

Thanks, Ace. I have lost my HTC Forum Rule Book and couldn't remember exactly how long I had to wait before I reposted a question to another poster.

In the future, I'll just ask you if it's OK to ask again. Seems like you still have the book.

Thanks again.

No problem bud. Someone’s gotta use the common sense to figure things out! 
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #245 on: May 17, 2019, 06:50:23 AM »
Headline in my local news. Boeing announced that orders for the 737 Max have ceased. It does not elaborate as to whether existing unfilled orders have been cancelled. Christmas comes early for Airbus and hopefully Boeing as a corporation survives.

Conviction by public opinion without disclosure of all of the evidence. Even if all contributing factors should come to light at some point, they will be published on page 17 of the Times in a small byline.

Let me get my passport!! 

The Few

-Spek

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #246 on: May 17, 2019, 06:54:34 AM »
Oh my! Quelle horreur!

Thanks again.

I didn’t realize he could read.    :rofl  :P
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #247 on: May 17, 2019, 07:58:56 AM »
No problem bud. Someone’s gotta use the common sense to figure things out!

Jeez! ANOTHER rule!

So I have to ask someone with common. sense?

Sorry I bothered you then.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #248 on: May 17, 2019, 09:14:24 AM »
Jeez! ANOTHER rule!

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #249 on: May 17, 2019, 09:54:43 AM »
Jeez! ANOTHER rule!

You keep deferring to insults. This is hilarious at this point :rofl

The Few

-Spek

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #250 on: May 17, 2019, 10:07:08 AM »
Busher are you seriously worried that the 737max crashes are a threat to Boeing's survival? I am surprised if you are. In my opinion the 737max is a short term problem somewhat more costly than the 787 fires but in no way an existential threat.

Anyway this is no  De Havilland Comet end of the British Empire moment.

No, I believe Boeing will survive but not without serious damage.

I could speculate that the 737 order book might shrink; I could speculate that its newly built media reputation might affect the introduction of the 777X; I could speculate the Boeing's lousy record in it's industrial relations might affect quality control.

But I don't speculate so I'll wait for the end result.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #251 on: May 17, 2019, 10:10:50 AM »
I don't know anything about Cubana today or Air Koryo.

I just chose them because their safety records are among the worst in history. Must be something about the airplanes they buy.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #252 on: May 17, 2019, 10:49:00 AM »
You keep deferring to insults. This is hilarious at this point :rofl

Yes, you are hilarious. Don't like turnabout, eh Mr. Forum Moderator?

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #253 on: May 17, 2019, 11:00:14 AM »
Yes, you are hilarious. Don't like turnabout, eh Mr. Forum Moderator?
You just don’t look before posting. That’s not my fault you lack common sense lol.

The Few

-Spek

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #254 on: May 17, 2019, 11:20:51 AM »
Thank you for making my point.

You offered the insult that I lack common sense. YOU initiated this. You defer to insults.

Also, contrary to your self validated role as Forum Moderator, there's no rules. Any one can ask another poster a question at any time. There's no specified internet protocol to wait a certain period of time, some number of minutes/hours/days, before asking or repeating a question.