Author Topic: Nvidia RTX 3xxx Coming Real Soon.  (Read 8857 times)

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
Re: Nvidia RTX 3xxx Coming Real Soon.
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2020, 09:03:16 AM »
At least the performance jump was more significant than withe previous generation. Hopefully competition will be good for the consumers.

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2020, 11:11:17 AM »
Nvidia locked the release of the 3080 to 06:00 PT 9/17.

Amazon B&H Best Buy and the Nvidia store where all suppose to have 3080s available for sale at the release date and time.

I had all 4 websites open in my browser across all three of my monitors at 05:55. I refreshed right at 05:59 and 06:00. Nvidia sold out before I could even click BUY ... It literately flashed available and went to sold out before I could even click on the buy button. With Best Buy I couldn't bet my shopping cart into check out before the item went sold out. New egg was even worse as their site locked up and threw errors. B&H never put their cards on sale and their store site went completely unavailable and they were still down 2 hours later. Amazon never had any cards go on sale to the best of my knowledge however the 3080s went so fast if you blinked you would miss it.

Needless to say I came away empty handed, which has left me feeling a little miffed. I was even set up for email alerts at all 4 vendors ... I never got a single alert.

I get the impression that Nvidia Newegg and to a lesser degree Best Buy couldn't give half a lick about gamers (Best buy never did show gamers much love.) They put nothing in place to slow down let alone stop bots and scalpers. No Captcha No purchase limits nothing. Newegg even seamed like to be feeding the purchase frenzy. It was rather sad.

Sort of like waiting in line on black Friday just to get sandpaper sodomized before you can even get in the door.

We still have other 3080 cards coming out, We also have the 3090 and 3070 coming out possibly a 3080ti (More than likely a 3090 with half the memory for about 1 grand) and AMD has a new card "Big Navi" coming out soon as well. However this mornings panicked purchasing frenzy gives me the impression prices are going to end up in the $900 range for a 3080 real soon.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 11:15:00 AM by Mayhem »
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2020, 02:29:14 PM »
Nvidia locked the release of the 3080 to 06:00 PT 9/17.

Amazon B&H Best Buy and the Nvidia store where all suppose to have 3080s available for sale at the release date and time.

I had all 4 websites open in my browser across all three of my monitors at 05:55. I refreshed right at 05:59 and 06:00. Nvidia sold out before I could even click BUY ... It literately flashed available and went to sold out before I could even click on the buy button. With Best Buy I couldn't bet my shopping cart into check out before the item went sold out. New egg was even worse as their site locked up and threw errors. B&H never put their cards on sale and their store site went completely unavailable and they were still down 2 hours later. Amazon never had any cards go on sale to the best of my knowledge however the 3080s went so fast if you blinked you would miss it.

Needless to say I came away empty handed, which has left me feeling a little miffed. I was even set up for email alerts at all 4 vendors ... I never got a single alert.

I get the impression that Nvidia Newegg and to a lesser degree Best Buy couldn't give half a lick about gamers (Best buy never did show gamers much love.) They put nothing in place to slow down let alone stop bots and scalpers. No Captcha No purchase limits nothing. Newegg even seamed like to be feeding the purchase frenzy. It was rather sad.

Sort of like waiting in line on black Friday just to get sandpaper sodomized before you can even get in the door.

We still have other 3080 cards coming out, We also have the 3090 and 3070 coming out possibly a 3080ti (More than likely a 3090 with half the memory for about 1 grand) and AMD has a new card "Big Navi" coming out soon as well. However this mornings panicked purchasing frenzy gives me the impression prices are going to end up in the $900 range for a 3080 real soon.

They pre-ordered.  No way that supply & demand was going to happen for someone just popping in to order a card.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2020, 02:30:35 PM »
So that's pretty much exactly the scenario that Moore'sLawIsDead laid out:

I think I'm better off deciding to be content waiting on the reviews of partner cards, the possible Ti versions of the 3070 and 3080, and of course AMD's Big Navi. 

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2020, 02:44:24 PM »
They pre-ordered.  No way that supply & demand was going to happen for someone just popping in to order a card.

Well if they did Nvidia could sue them (If Nvidia cares that is). Nvidia contractually locked everyone in to a 9/17 6am PT launch with no reorders until after the launch.

Even the scalpers had to wait till then to order their cards, however the scalpers where already able to pre-sell the cards that they haven't purchased yet with no consequence. If they get the card they ship it to their customer at a higher price on ebay turning a nice proffit. If they don't get the card they just have to give the customer a refund and Ebay won't do anything about it.

However, there were absolutely no purchase limits or Captchas and bots can move and shop a heck of a lot faster than a fleshy can.

This all reminds me of a question my son asked me ....
Son "Dad in Bayformers why didn't the Decepticons just buy Sam Witwicky's glasses off of ebay?"
Me "Captchas maybe?"

:bhead
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 03:01:37 PM by Mayhem »
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2020, 03:00:34 PM »
Well if they did Nvidia could sue them (If Nvidia cares that is). Nvidia contractually locked everyone in to a 9/17 6am PT launch with no reorders until after the launch.

Even the scalpers had to wait till then to order their cards, however the scalpers where already able to pre-sell the cards that they haven't purchased yet with no consequence. If they get the card they sell it their customer at a higher price on ebay turning a nice proffit. If they don't get the card they just have to give the customer a refund. Ebay won't do anything about it.

However, there were absolutely no purchase limits or Captchas and bots can move and shop a heck of a lot faster than a fleshy can.

This all reminds me of a question my son asked me ....
Son "Dad in Bayformers why didn't the Decepticons just buy Sam Witwicky's glasses off of ebay?"
Me "Captchas maybe?"

I think I'm going to wail a little bit and try to get the Asus model.  I kinda like the three fans.
I'm not big on water cooling. (just don't like the idea of liquid running around in my rig)

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2020, 04:33:22 PM »
All the suckers buy now..... be glad you were saved.  :devil
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2020, 04:37:29 PM »
All the suckers buy now..... be glad you were saved.  :devil

I wasn't saved.  I bough a 2070 just a few months earlier.
I'm doomed!!

Coogan   :mad:
Game Id's:

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2020, 04:38:55 PM »
I wasn't saved.  I bough a 2070 just a few months earlier.
I'm doomed!!

Coogan   :mad:

LOL naaaa you'll be just fine..... ummm you didn't pay full price did you?
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2020, 04:40:14 PM »

LOL naaaa you'll be just fine..... ummm you didn't pay full price did you?

Well, let's not get into that.   :rofl

Coogan
Game Id's:

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2020, 04:41:35 PM »
Well, let's not get into that.   :rofl

Coogan

OTAY    :rofl
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2020, 04:43:37 PM »
OTAY    :rofl

It'll be available on the AHIII Classifiedes soon.  (for cheap)

Coogan
Game Id's:

Offline Denniss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2020, 05:32:18 PM »
Nvidia bumped up the speed but also bumped up the power consumption a lot thus also a lot of heat is blown into your case.
A Paperlauch with miniscule availability of cards.
All this smells a bit like rushed-to-market to be ahead of a competitior regardless of consequences.

The rumored 20GiB version will take well into 2021 as the required larger 2GiB GDDR6X memory chips are not available yet. Unless they plan a Frankenstein with GDDR6 or with the expensive 3090/Quadro/Titan PCB having chips on both sides of the PCB.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2020, 07:33:15 PM »
Here ya go Mayhem! Lol

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124341008802

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2020, 07:37:21 PM »
Are yew frackin kiddin me!

Well, at least shipping is only 20.00.